New Bertram Owner/need help in the keys

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

msteimer
Standing Member

New Bertram Owner/need help in the keys

Post by msteimer »

Hi Guys, my name is Mark and I recently put down a deposit on a 35 Bertram in Cudjoe Key. I posted over on the 33 website as well, but was hoping someone with experience in the Keys could help me out.

The boat has been stored on a lift for the past few years, and I'm not sure what condition the running gear is in. I was hoping I could contract someone to go over to the boat and inspect the running gear and pack the stuffing boxes so that I could get an engine survey done before I go down next (I'm located in De). Do any of you have someone you could recommend to do this work? Am also interested to hear if you've had any experience with Cat mechanics down there so that I can feel good about the engine survey.

As long as everything with the engines and hull check out, I'll be bringing her back to DE for a restoration and once complete she'll go to Ocean City, MD. I'm really excited to get the project started...just need to get over the hurdle of getting her up here.

Any advice you all may have would be really helpful. I'm feeling a little helpless at this point being so far away and having so much to get done in the next month or two.

Thanks,
Mark
Tony Meola

Re: New Bertram Owner

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Welcome. I am sure one of the faithfull from Florida will jump in. Bruce or Pete would probably be the best ones to guide you to a good surveyor.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: New Bertram Owner/need help in the keys

Post by Bruce »

Mark,
Welcome. I edited your title to catch one of the keys guys to post a reply.

Bruce
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Thanks, Bruce! I thought for a minute I broke the rules by posting about a 35 on here til I saw your edit. Hopefully one of the Keys guys will chime in.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rules of B-31.

1st rule .........There are no rules, but that can change at any time depending on Pat's, Mike's and my mood.
2nd rule ........Any talk of feelings results in a lifetime ban and a visit from Hillary's "cleaner" to your home.
3rd rule ........Refer to rule number 1.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Bruce Popham at Marathon Boat Yard runs a top-shelf operation, he can advise you on just about any subject.

bruce@marathonboatyard.com
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Thanks, John! Much appreciated. I sent Bruce a note.
Bruce wrote:2nd rule ........Any talk of feelings results in a lifetime ban and a visit from Hillary's "cleaner" to your home.
msteimer wrote: Any advice you all may have would be really helpful. I'm feeling a little helpless at this point being so far away and having so much to get done in the next month or two.
Does this mean I'm on probation already??? And who is Hillary???
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

And who is Hillary???
Ahhh... Such innocence
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

CaptPatrick wrote: Ahhh... Such innocence
I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mark...

I have a B33 and they tolerate my being here.. Just follow the above rules and you will be fine here!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Being on the lift for a long time; when ready put it in the water and let it sit for a few days then check the shafts alignment to the trans. Just my two cents.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mark,
As men we never admit we are over our head and we always have everything covered and figured out.

But we are allowed to share ideas to save beer money and expedite repairs to be able to watch sports.

If we have no ideas of our own we are allowed to solicite others for theirs not because we lack ability, but because we like free advice to save beer money.

When ever we are asked if we know what we are doing we always respond with a loud and firm, Absolutely.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ok so this is the craziest greeting of a new member I have ever seen in all my years on the board.

Mark you are not on probation. Just roll with it and you will find the best group of guys you have ever met. I have seen members from one coast to the other help each other without ever meeting. There are very few insults thrown around here, execpt for Mike and you will get used to him.

Now if Timmy (Thudd) decides to hang out with again then all bets are off.

Hillary, isn't she the one who is married to a guy named Bill?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Hah thanks for the replies guys. Yes, there was a little sarcasm in my post...I'm ok with folks getting a laugh at my expense...
Brewster Minton wrote:Being on the lift for a long time; when ready put it in the water and let it sit for a few days then check the shafts alignment to the trans. Just my two cents.
Brewster, would misalignment be a symptom of the bearing being shot? Or is there something else I should be looking for?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The boat sitting on a lift will settle. it needs to sit in the water for some time to reset to being supported by the water. That's what I was taught. It may be wrong, or I might be wrong. I "Might be in over my head" as Bruce said. It will not be the first time.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tony Meola wrote:There are very few insults thrown around here, execpt for Mike and you will get used to him.
I'm an acquired taste..... Kinda like turpentine.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Unless she is sitting on a cement pad and is perfectly leveled and supported they will take a twist. For the winter lay up I find mine goes back into shape almost right away. ON land if she does not set quite right I can have issues clsoing the door to the head. Last year, in the spring I went to replace the packing, and I guess the twist was so good I had an issue getting the gland back together. When we put her in the water, it slid right in place easy peasey as they say.

I have heard of boats taking such a bad twist that the engines go out of alignment. Some old timers used to dsiconect the shaft from the coupling before they were layed up. You could see the twist because then the shaft would not line up with the coupling. Once back in the water every thing would fall back into place. I have not seen anyone do that in years.

I would suspect that a boat sitting for a few year on the hard could take a day or so to stretch out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Awesome, thanks for the info. Would have never thought of that.

Bruce from Marathan Boat Yard was very responsive, which was refreshing considering all the dead ends I've hit before him. Playing phone tag now but will keep you all posted.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If you stop in the Palm Beach area on the way back, drop me a pm. Would be glad to come out and help with any questions you may have about anything boat related.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

msteimer,
I am going to be in Marathon sometime next week I have to do a survey for a Bahamas client. I will not know what day until after next Monday. Call me at 561-310-7179 or e-mail me at fal4artbts@aol.com to see if we can get together and look at your new boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mark,
All Keys Diesel in Marathon works on Cats. I know the guy but he has only been to my boat once since 2006.......knocking on wood! (305) 289-2070
I would have no problem running down to Cudjoe to take a peak at the boat to look for the obvious. Pete is the man when it comes to checking out boats though.
Kevin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What Kevin said: Pete is THE MAN when it comes to surveyors for a Bertram. Also, Bruce Creamer is THE MAN when it comes to mechanics.....gas or diesel, hydraulic, electrical or mechanical. I know, he is retired, but he can provide great consultation.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Kevin,
I thank you for your offer, I will let you know when I am going to be in your area.
Pete Fallon
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Pete, Shell and I will be at themyacht harbor in Islamorada all week. Stop by,

yellow 38
Bill
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

I appreciate all the offers, guys. Unfortunately I'm located in DE and won't be making my next trip down til Feb 8th. I'm going to try to get her over to Marathon Boat Yard that week. She's sitting behind the owner's house right now and he moved up to Tampa so access for others isn't easy.

Pete, I'll give you a shout tomorrow to see if we can set something up.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Mark,

You won't go wrong with Bruce at MBY, he's a good guy. He'll shoot straight with you, whether you decide to go with him or not.

Bill, let's get together while you're in town.

JB
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Be there tomorrow John.
Bill
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

msteimer,
I have a few questions for you,
1 What year is the boat?
2, What CAT's 3208, 3126,?
3. Which model- 35 Wide Body, Caribe,Express or standard Fly Bridge?
4. Does the owner have a log book or recent upgrades, engine hours?
I don't know when the next time I will be in the Keys after this next survey, but call me today after 11:00 AM.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I will be doing the survey on the weekend of the 8th/9th of February.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mark,
I e-mailed Tim Caruso the Cat guy in Stuart that I use for all my Cat work. He said that there was never a problem with the 3116 having soft blocks, the 3126's were the engines that had the problem. For some reason my first e-mail to him never got through. I am going to be talking to Tim later this afternoon, I can't find the e-mail with the engine serial numbers you sent me, can you re-send them to me before I talk to him.
Thanks
Pete Fallon