A Holy Crap B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

A Holy Crap B31

Post by Dug »

For so many reasons...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/Be ... s6-Z5ko7IV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of you Ocean Reefers know this boat? Doc???

Dug
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Re: A Holy Crap B31

Post by MarkS »

Bahia Mar? All righty then.......
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Some really cool choices and others not so much IMO. Is that the Brodus Rose fiberglass window frames? Curious what is under the old engine boxes.

Lots of things I could do with a half mill, turning my boat into that is not one of them..
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

'It will be gone fast!"

It will be gone never at that price...

BTW, exactly how do you get to the flybridge on that boat?

John
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BCBertie wrote:'It will be gone fast!"

John
There is a metal step on the starboard pilaster, it's hard to see and not uncommon.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BCBertie wrote:'It will be gone fast!"

John
There is a metal step on the starboard pilaster, it's hard to see and not uncommon.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

They even spelled the name wrong - Mistake -- isn't that what they meant?

Tom
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

The engine boxes must be for the coolers full of beer, that rig must go like hell. Id rather have the heft of big ole cummins on the engine beds when the rough stuff rolls over the bow. At least they could have called it a moppie bahi mar sportfisherman. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Imagine you are given a B31, a blank check and have to use outboard power.

What could you do with a all the space below the cockpit sole outside the stringers. What about all the space when you remove the engine boxes? I can come up with lots of cool ideas. Some more useful then others. The ideas are endless.

For a half mil what do you get? NOTHING just blank space.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

PeterPalmieri wrote: There is a metal step on the starboard pilaster, it's hard to see and not uncommon.
I know about the step, but from the pictures it looks like there is no gap in the rails... maybe I just need to look at bigger pictures.

Cheers!

John
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
A 1/2 million for an outboard powered Bahia Mar turned into a sport fish doesn't make much sense to me but everyone has their own way of spending their money. Engine box areas would make a nice hot tub/whirlpool and a huge BBQ grill pit on the other side. Good luck getting that price, paint job is very nice and windows are beautiful but come on, an open head after spending that much cash it doesn't compute in my book. I wonder how she rides with all that weight on the transom? (850 lbs each engine plus bracket).
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Looks to me like the work on the hull and decks has been executed at a very high level.
I could see gas tanks in the engine boxes as well as a generator and the air-conditioning unit.
If they have a well engineered, balanced solution that does 40 kts. and gets +1 nm/gal I'm a fan. If those engines are like $20k each the cost of that conversion or diesels might not be all that different if you're starting with an old gasser like mine.
Judging from the FLIR unit and all the other bling, that boat is exactly what a somebody who could have whatever they wanted, wanted.
And, oh yeah, I'm a big fan of B31s selling for $500k - even if it did cost somebody $650 k...
Don't take a penny less!
Best,
S

Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It will still be around a year from now. Even in a hot hot market it would still be there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Nice! I like the part when you sit with your guess entertaining in the cockpit and look forward to see a toilet! Real class
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Must be another shallow water 31. Silly people, someone told them they could get back 50% of the time and money they put into it! The work and finish you have to admit is very good though. Almost a sin to do that to a otherwise well balanced and tried/true design of inboard and low center of gravity. Can you imagine if that was fuel under those hatches at say 100 gallons each at 700 lbs that high above deck! Oh well to each his own right?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tom,

I think they meant "Mystique", not Mistake.

Yannis
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Not for me, but to each his own. I'd like to see a picture of her on plane at cruise to see what her running angle is like.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Dug

Post by Dug »

When I said Holy Crap, I didn't mean I would do my boat like that!

But, couple things. Did you notice the tow strap on the bow? She is outfitted to be a tender if they wanted. Definitely a day boat, and we all have the luxury of outfitting or using our boats the way we want to. I think the interior is amazing, even if I wouldn't do the same. Clearly they drive from inside a bit. Pretty cool. Bob, I had the same reaction to the head location. Years ago I had a SF owner tell me the first thing I NEEDED to do was rip out my head on the FBC and put it in the bow for more room in the cabin. My reaction? Sleep where I crap? No. Uh uh. No way. Each to their own. That being said the guests don't need to see the v-berth/head compartment because of that really cool door addition!

No way do I think they are going to get that many clams, but hey, people in other countries do things diff than I do sometimes, so you never know if an Arab might think that pretty cool on his 500' mini ship. Who knows... Good luck!

Bob, I doubt they spend a heck of a lot of time in rough stuff. LOL! Right there with you. And when I saw Bahia Mar, I cracked up. That's funny. Brokers. They are a breed aren't they?

But I think despite this came in with a transom from the Carolina's, the boat is at the Ocean Reef club in the Keys. Anyone know it?

Dug
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Yannis wrote:Tom,

I think they meant "Mystique", not Mistake.

Yannis
Yannis -- nope, it is quite a Mistake. When I called Dug last night the first words out of my mouth were (and Pete Fallon stated same above) "That's way more weight in the back than I would want, and you could buy a set of comparable HP Yanmars or Cummins for same or less money, and they would still be running in 10 years."

Tom
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

A HEAD that is so ugly no wife would ever sign off on it, a real deal killer. But dear its only 1/2 mil.
Never happen. Outboards? I guess if you like that head you might like the outboards too.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I'd like to see a picture of her on plane at cruise to see what her running angle is like.

Doesn't look too bad at idle. I assume that the OB bracket/extension carries down to the deep v for flotation. And the OB's are power tilt so they can probably trim it ok.

Not my cup of tea.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

This boat would still be for sale of it was listed for $100K. I love it when people make these super custom, one off, major dollars, science projects and then try to sell them. Sure, everyone wants to spend a half million and have to crap/piss in between the v-berths.

Good luck with that.
Regards,

Doug L.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I just don't understand ; you are sleeping in the v- berth with your wife,girlfriend in a marina like what do you say? Turn your head I have take a dump.! Ridiculous if nothing else your sleeping with your head next to the head .say no more and youhave + or - 1200 hours before one of the motors explode ,oakdale Yacth loves you !,17,000 power head,and $ 3,400 lower unit if engines are more then four years old burn the boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob,
If you are sleeping with your wife and girlfriend in the V-birth...

A-your wife and girlfriend are very understanding and that head won't make a difference.

B-with your wife and girlfriend in the same V-birth as you....it's only a matter of time before you'd be in the Sh$t house anyway. So you might as well have the thrown in there.

Think the boat is setup as a dayboat or Picnic boat...cabins for changing, storage and an occasion bathroom trip.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

With the head up there in my boat on a canyon trip it would be empty real fast.
captbone

Post by captbone »

LOL. Different strokes for different folks. I love it and thing it is very useful. Not everyone fishes in 10ft with breaking seas. I agree that the crapper is not ideal but for a day boat I dont see many other choices.

Looks like a top notch refinishing job.

I agree that price is bananas.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

C'mon Carl I wrote wife, girlfriend as in wife or girlfriend! Anyways pretty tough having a crapper next to where you sleep/ nap/ rest/ put your head down. If day boat only that would really limit the sale.
Last edited by bob lico on Jan 13th, '14, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
williamcash

Post by williamcash »

She is amazing!
Nothing beats the B31, especially in the Bahamas!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

williamcash wrote:She is amazing!
The boat?the girld friend or the wife? If not the boat, then she has to be pretty amazing to sleep next to the head.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:C'mon Carl I wrote wife, girlfriend as in wife or girlfriend! Anyways pretty tough having a crapper next to where you sleep/ nap/ rest/ put your head down. If day boat only that would really limit the sale.

I know what you meant Bob...but its one of those great opportunities to twist words around that I find myself unable to pass up.
Some say its a good trait...others not so much.

Nobody says you have to have your head at the head end of the berth. Put your feet at that end and think of it as walking thru a doggy park.

That setup worked for me for years with Cuddy Cabin boats...although I must have had the deluxe models as mine came with a fitted cushion to go over the head.

Personally I do not get the day Boat/Picnic Boat allure. But I knew of several in my area that went for absolutely ridiculous money. Owners loved them...So I guess there is a market...or was. Isn't that the market Billy Joel was going after with the Downeaster style boats?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wonder why they didn't make a cover for it like the original?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

I can't help wondering where the TP is? Do you push a button and a roll of TP drops down from the overhead like
an oxygen mask on an airplane?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hansen,
They come down together, TP and oxygen mask.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Carl wrote:
Nobody says you have to have your head at the head end of the berth. Put your feet at that end and think of it as walking thru a doggy park.

Let's have a show of hands as to whose significant other would say -- "Oh, I see what you mean, if I put my fee toward the bow my head will be 4 feet away from the crapper instead of 2 feet away from the crapper if they face the stern. You deserve wild sex tonight honey, since you made sleeping with a head between us so much more romantic."

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.........
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The fact that it's laid out as a day boat with the head in the v berth doesn't bother me at all. In fact when I bought my boat I originally wanted a sportfish model, if your not sleeping in the v berth it's not much of an issue. Blue Beard, Falcon and Zero Cavity among others are great examples of a classic sportfish layout, each different.
John F.

Post by John F. »

PeterPalmieri wrote:The fact that it's laid out as a day boat with the head in the v berth doesn't bother me at all. In fact when I bought my boat I originally wanted a sportfish model, if your not sleeping in the v berth it's not much of an issue. Blue Beard, Falcon and Zero Cavity among others are great examples of a classic sportfish layout, each different.
Agreed. If you want a FBC, get a FBC. If you want a SF, get a SF. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. If I was going to spend a lot of time overnighting--and I don't mean offshore, where you sleep wherever, or at the rendevous, where you pass out whereever--I may not get a B31. The boat isn't for me, but that's the beauty of B31s--you get to make them whatever you want.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I love it! It would be a perfect day boat and light offshore fishing boat for the 2-3' deep intracoastal areas where I spend 90% of my time. Those live wells are silly...must have run out of spare change.

The price is nuts. You could build your own for probably less than $125k.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Like buying a super car to go 50' to the mail box.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

April fools come early//
interiors nice anyway ...minus the head... can you imagine the smell up in the bow ? after a day of fishing with a couple guys?
The two jokes on the transom disgraceful..
Wayne
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Wondering how much storage do you need in a day boat? Not sure what I would store under those boxes for a "3 Hour Tour"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't consider that boat for more money then the amount I could get for the gas in the tank and parts with a tidy profit...

...but has nothing to do with the head being up front.

Your talking about taking to the Canyon?? Fishing Boat.... Looks like it is fitted with Four Twinky Perko Pole holders...I think those "Live Wells" are actually Storage bins. Think I saw them of a friends boat...push the top and something pops up or something, maybe I am wrong. But owner/builder does not look like they had fishing in mind when putting this thing together.

But...But... as Brewster said, it like buying a Super car to go 50 feet to the mailbox...I know of plenty of those people.

Had one friend that bought a sports car, he drove it home, covered it with two car covers. Each week he pulled covers off, washed it then put the covers back on....didn't even get to the mailbox. Maybe in the several years he owned it, he actually drove it to the boatyard a few times...but would leave it in the parking lot...so he made his wife sit in car while he checked boat and then went home. He traded car in with only a few hundred miles on odometer.

I don't get it...but that made him happy. Works for me...far worse things people can do.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Add a ski pylon and I would be a happy camper.

The best part is the engines are absolutely silent with no vibration, noise or smell. Most of my time cocktailing is at clutch ahead.

Beside the toilet and the ransom price tag, it is a beauty.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Who am I to say much -- I put gold flake metallic green paint on my B31!

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:Who am I to say much -- I put gold flake metallic green paint on my B31!

Tom
Tom

I used to know a guy who refused to go to see in a white boat. Painted all of his boats Blue and he had three at the time. He kept his 38 Bert in Nj, his 40 Post in Virginia and had another in Fl. Now that is the way to Travel.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And most old sailors would never get on a blue boat!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rawleigh

Never heard that one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My 89 year old Godfather used to be in the Navy and that came from him. True? Who knows!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

hate it....period.
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

I just stumbled on the site looking up some 31 related topics and came across these posts. I'm the owner of the Miss Teak which is a 1972 Bertram 31 with are you ready for it.....OUTBOARDS. It's like cursing in church with many die hard 31 guys and I'm very aware of that. I want to give both you guys on the site and anyone else researching outfitting a 31 with outboards some insight on this.

Let me first explain why I did what I did. I think the 31 is one of the sexiest small boats out there. I fished on plenty of them and they are great little pocket fisherman but first and foremost for me was its timeless beauty. I did not refit this boat for hardcore fishing and canyon running. I wanted a cool little picnic style boat that is fast comfortable and easy to maintain. This is what I achieved with the Miss Teak. We take family cruises, dive and snorkel off of it, and every once in a while we take her fishing. I'm sure you are thinking ok sounds fair but why outboards.

Here is why, it was refit to be a tender for a yacht. And a sexy and unique tender it is. Now I would like to address the speculation on what's where on the boat. We took a 31 Sf and gutted it, we pulled motors, shafts, and rudders out. It had original 4/53s in her. She did 17kts burning 16 gallons an hour at full throttle. I can now do 17kts on plane and burn 13 gallons an hour. At 30kts She burns only 25 gallons. Once we gutted her we reinforced the stringers and beefed up the transom. We dropped the deck 16 inches to create taller gunwales. A custom shaped fuel tank was built and installed which holds 300 gallons under the deck just forward of the transom.

We installed a 5kw gas generator on the starboard side "engine box" and the port side has the battery system and storage for dive gear. There are 2 AC's onboard. One runs the lower helm area and the other conditions the forward changing area. I say changing area because it is not designed for sleeping its a bathroom, changing area with additional storage. It indeed has a door between the helm pods.

Those "Heavy Motors" hanging on the back are completely floated by the custom bracket that extends all the way down to meet the bottom of the hull. The boat doesn't even need trim tabs because we extended the running surface by 3ft and I typically trim the motors up for an ideal running attitude. If anyone has priced new center consoles lately or cutty cabins like Grady's and Whalers you will see that 350,000.00 is cheaper than what those cookie cutter boats cost both new and on the used market.

Why is it so outrageous for this work of art to cost that much? Ray Hunt designed this hull to be a racer not a sports fishing boat. I just brought it back closer to where it all started. I'll be happy to answer any questions about this boat and I enjoy the critiquing as well. If you are looking for a hardcore barebones fishing boat this is not it but if you want a sexy and comfortable rig that's easy to maintain and turns heads wherever she goes even amongst the wealthiest people in the world then this is the boat for you.

The only reason I have it listed is because I want to build another one nearly like it.
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

One more thing. The live wells in the picture are not even for the31 They are for the mothership