Wood striping joys

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Wood striping joys

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi,have you ever spoken to someone who has just spent the evening striping varnish from the interior of his boat and is as happy as? well I did and I am!!, infact I am bloody thrilled !
the varnish and the general appearance of my interior was average to say the least, I `ve been putting this job off and off until finally I had to do it! did a lot of homework and ended up with a locally made product from " Coopers Wood Restorer " made a lot of bold clams so I checked around ,got great feed back so I made a start today, Well it was awesome,did a magic job,got a beautiful result , cant wait to go back tomorrow and make some more progress ,its a real bonus because I never thought it would come up anywhere like what it has, and NO SANDING, I mean NONE at all, and no I don't have any affiliation with them, its just the best find/product I`ve ever come across . Some of my interior had a serious build up of old varnish ,this stuff just pulled it right off, Seriously one of you guys up in the states should look at becoming a distributer for this stuff ,its every boat restorers dream come true
Stephan

Re: Wood striping joys

Post by Stephan »

Todd-
I never thought I would see those words (wood, striping and joy) together that way.
I found the web site and frankly would have dismissed it but for your post. Do you have a contact at Coopers I can reach directly or do you recommend just using the contact info on the web site? http://cooper-it.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best and thanks,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Buju

Post by Buju »

Todd,
You'll still need to sand your teak/mahogany before putting you new finish on there... to 220.
If not, it'll be bumpy with raised grain everywhere, and the new clearcoat will have poor adhesion to the substrate.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Sorry been striping more wood, nice to get such a great result, keeps you going, sorry I don't have a direct contact with them other than the details on the site, I did however call them and speak to the guy and he was very informative & helpful, If I were you I would invest the the whole system at first,so the striper, the flusher and the steel wool(unusual grade,i am sure you could find something to match once you had a sample to go from),and the wire brushes ,the whole system works so well together I think as a first step I`d buy it all,Its not expensive any way, I really hope someone up there buys it and posts a review,its very rear to find a product that does what it says it does, even down to the 3 minuets it takes to work, much longer and it dries out,a little spay of flusher soon fixes that,
Buju thanks for the advice,one of the product claims is that it doesn't raise the grain,and it only raises it very slightly so I think I`ll start with a test around 320 g and see how it feels, going to finish with goldspar satin finish varnish(I think ,unless someone else has any thoughts? )
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Todd Pearce wrote:Sorry been striping more wood, nice to get such a great result, keeps you going, sorry I don't have a direct contact with them other than the details on the site, I did however call them and speak to the guy and he was very informative & helpful, If I were you I would invest the the whole system at first,so the striper, the flusher and the steel wool(unusual grade,i am sure you could find something to match once you had a sample to go from),and the wire brushes ,the whole system works so well together I think as a first step I`d buy it all,Its not expensive any way, I really hope someone up there buys it and posts a review,its very rear to find a product that does what it says it does, even down to the 3 minuets it takes to work, much longer and it dries out,a little spay of flusher soon fixes that,
Buju thanks for the advice,one of the product claims is that it doesn't raise the grain,and it only raises it very slightly so I think I`ll start with a test around 320 g and see how it feels, going to finish with goldspar satin finish varnish(I think ,unless someone else has any thoughts? )
If you are finishing the wood while it is on the boat, steel wool would be the last thing I used -- no matter how well you clean up, you can count on having rust stains in the cockpit due to the steel wool.

Tom
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

TailhookTom wrote:steel wool would be the last thing I used -- no matter how well you clean up, you can count on having rust stains in the cockpit due to the steel wool.
Tom has a VERY valid point there… Back when I was in the Navy steel wool was basically prohibited on board… We had some but we used it ONLY on the quay side…
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bronze wool or SS wool only.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Took your advice and contacted them and switched to a scotch bright type pad they recommend, nice spotting you guys,thanks again ,could have ended badly, job coming along nicly, will post some photos,when I learn how!!
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

turns out the bronze wool works the best, cant say enough about this system,have just finished the third coat of sanding sealer after a 320g rub, looks fantastic ,its beyond what I thought could be achieved ,a boating friend dropped in today ,said he couldn't believe it,from the horrible dark stained mess to beautiful lustrous teak, I have to confess I thought I might have to re-veneer to get a proper result , so this has been a real bonus . the only downside is the time it takes,to do it properly takes a lot of time ,but the result brings a real joy