Dive mask camera

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Dive mask camera

Post by Bruce »

Anybody try or use the liquid image dive mask? Or use go pro under water camera?
Kevin

Re: Dive mask camera

Post by Kevin »

I use an Intova underwater camera. Similar in size to go pro but much cheaper. Battery is built into the camera and the camera is built into the housing unlike the go pro. I have been happy with it so far.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I use a Canon pocket sized digital camera… When I go to wet or underwater conditions I put it into a special housing (also by Canon) which is good down to 120'… The camera is a stills camera but it also has an HD video function… One spare battery and one spare memory card… Never managed to run out of power or memory yet…

If I would change anything it would be getting a camera with similar capabilities but one that was waterproof down to say 10' without the housing… Then I'd need the housing only for diving…
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
How do you find the stability of the video in a small housing?
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Bruce -

There are software packages that can do a pretty good job of stabilizing the video after it is shot; iMovie (free for Macs) offers it, and there are similar packages for Windows machines. YouTube has a really good stabilization routine that can get run on uploaded clips... I know a couple of guys who upload shaky bits, let YouTube fix them, then download them and incorporate them into longer vids. Not saying it's right, but it is available.

Of course, quality varies, and it's always better to start off with good footage. But this might be helpful.

Cheers!

John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks, that will probably be more important than I realized. By the time I make a choice I probably won't get much time to experiment with it to develop technique and control before it will be used for its primary purpose.

After the fact processing will be welcome.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce,
I found it to be just fine. I am no producer though. I just uploaded video to photobucket to post in here as a sample but lost a lot of quality so I did not bother to post it. I do not know why quality is good when I view it from hard drive but terrible in photobucket. I think the Gopro has more options but for the money the Intova works for me.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have 4 different GoPros i use the 3 (black addition) is the best you can change field of view to narrow,medium and wide (offers the best stabilization) and you can video up to 4K. One other feature it can take 1080i video and take jpeg pictures simultaneously. As far as depth rating my brother (one of a few diverse that found and dove the German U-550 http://www.bradsheard.com/u550.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) used my GoPro at 330' with no problems
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks Jimmy looks like the gopro3+ with the high speed memory cards is the way to go.

It seems the majority of GoPro issues come from using low speed camera cards.