Bad Ass video

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Bad Ass video

Post by JimmyG »

Now this is bad ass, some of the best editing I have seen, I so much wanted to buy that drone last year but already had so much shit I bring with me on everyones boat , it's actually one of the driving forces to get my own boat done. PS can that boat back down or what!

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Bad Ass video

Post by mike ohlstein »

I just got one this week. Totally cool. Actually just had my first major crash on Saturday (tree) because I got cocky when I was starting to get the hang of figure eights and keeping the camera on a stationary target while maneuvering around it. This was my third or fourth flight. It was pretty windy and I didn't want to lose it, but went up over 1000 feet, with stops to look around at 100, 200, 300, 500, and 800. The file was pretty huge and you lose a lot of quality when you push it to YouTube.....

I'm planning on filming this years South Dakota pheasant hunt from a birds eye view.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike,

Which one did you get?

Dug
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pikers.
Just attach the gun to the drone and hunt from the lodge.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The one I have have is a DJI Phantom Vision 2. One of the coolest toys yet. I plan on taking it with us to the Bahamas this summer. FAA regs are minimal at this point but I would not advertise flying over 400 feet if you can identify where you shoot video etc. Lots of literature and debate of rules/laws verse suggestion. Only a matter of time before one of these goes through wind screen of cesna and the hobby gets a bad wrap.........but god damn is it fun! I need to learn how to edit video.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Kevin wrote:The one I have have is a DJI Phantom Vision 2.
That's what I got.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bruce wrote:Pikers.
Just attach the gun to the drone and hunt from the lodge.
Good one. Might actually be legal with The Judge in .410

I don'y think that the drone is classified as a motor vehicle yet…...
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mike,
Did you test the return to home function yet? We did,it works! We crashed em once too. Got comfortable after a couple flights. Took a break, charged batteries, had dinner and a lot of beer then took them out at night on the golf course. Decided that drone drag racing was in order. Never race at the same altitude.........eminent failure.
So far my speed record on the GPS is 54 mph. My buddy has hit 58.

And if you ever wonder how many long fused roman candles it will lift and still fly properly the answer is 4.
Two on each skid. Rotor wash keeps the fuse shlag in check.

Never decrease altitude too rapidly with out lateral speed becuase it will get caught in its own rotor wash.

Hopefully someone learns from our mistakes.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Kevin,
The strafing runs with roman candles as ammo, on the local raccoon population on the golf course from the drone, you just invented a new Keys hunting tool, a coon-a -rater, that thing looks big enough to jack a little key deer.
Ask around and find my boat a new warm weather home, I keep getting calls from people up North that are getting shocked by the cost of trucking the boat to New England.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Kevin wrote:Hopefully someone learns from our mistakes.
Tips:

Buy extra propellors right off the bat.
Forget the meaning of left and right.
Gravity can be a friend, or an enemy.
When taking off, don't fiddle-fart around. Give it the gas.
Downloading video via USB connection is slow. Popping the memory card directly into the computer is lightening fast.
The camera adds 15 pounds (to your belly).

I'm guessing that antenna length and communication range are related. I plan on experimenting with that….
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Buy extra propellors right off the bat.
Forget the meaning of left and right.
Gravity can be a friend, or an enemy.
When taking off, don't fiddle-fart around. Give it the gas.
Funny thats the same advice my instructor gave me when I learned to fly and they were still teaching induced stall recovery.

Mike,
If your using the 2.4G radios then the full wave length omni directional antenna is just under 5" at 4.92". Unless one goes with a moving directional parabolic dish antenna (good luck with the cost on that one) or a 2 watt booster amp(illegal by FCC rules) your distance is your distance depending on local interferences. There are many issues with 2.4G signals once thought to be relatively interference free.

72MHZ radios have a better range than than 2.4G but then you loose the wifi function. You have a 30db higher signal loss at 2.4g than you do for 72mhz at the same distance. IE at 1000' the 2.4 has 90db loss vs 60 db for the 72.

Wavelength decreases when you increase frequency. The 2.4G wavelength is shorter and closer to visible light. 2.4GHz wavelengths travel in straight lines until they are reflected, absorbed, deflected, or diffracted. Think microwaves. Common interference issues are corona discharge from power line insulators in salty or wet locations, hills, mountains, houses and buildings . The same goes for more congested urban areas vs wide open ranges.

Heres a link for 2.4G antennas. http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel ... eless.html
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just a thought after thinking about it. Wonder if you could get your ham technician license which covers the 2.4Ghz/13cm range and since a typical factory ham radio operates between 5 and 200 watts without a booster amp, you could legally operate a quad copter with increased power?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Where did you guys buy?

:)
Dug

Post by Dug »

And Jimmy, ya, that boat backs down really well! The captain may have something to do with it, but some back way more easily than others. I can't get Alchemy to back straight for love or money. but its probably me... LOL!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Amazon
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I am sure many of us have hard drives full of potentailly great video but have never messed wtih editing. Do we have any production type pros on this board? I would like to learn but there are so many programs and do not know which one to start with.

Pete, I am shocked that your boat has not sold for that price. I looked at the pics a while back and it looks well maintained, as I would expect, especially since you are a surveyor. Maybe we could do some aerial footage underway and update your pics? I will ask around but most everyone I know is all about disposable motors hanging on the transom.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Do we have any production type pros on this board?
Do we?!

Jimmy G is about as professional a videographer as an amateur can get without accepting money and turning pro...

C'mon, Jimmy give us a little tutorial please.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Kevin wrote:I am sure many of us have hard drives full of potentailly great video but have never messed wtih editing. Do we have any production type pros on this board? I would like to learn but there are so many programs and do not know which one to start with.

Pete, I am shocked that your boat has not sold for that price. I looked at the pics a while back and it looks well maintained, as I would expect, especially since you are a surveyor. Maybe we could do some aerial footage underway and update your pics? I will ask around but most everyone I know is all about disposable motors hanging on the transom.
Capt Pat thanks for the kudos but Apple makes it easy to look good, there is nothing I ever used that is easier then iMovie and it's free with a purchase of a apple computer or if you don't want to spend $1200.00 for "free " software i think its a $14.00 download. You basically import your movie take the clips you like drag them to your story line ad a few photos,transitions, music and a title and wala you have a movie this short video took more time to import then to make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdpxTlnEHQ . I am learning Final Cut Pro X basically the same with a lot more features http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/what-is/