I hate doing things twice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Skipper Dick

I hate doing things twice

Post by Skipper Dick »

A while back, maybe 3 years ago or so, I started noticing pieces of rotted wood gathering under the bench seat on the bridge. Sure enough, the base plywood in the in the seat was rotted and about to completely disintegrate, so I pulled the seat and replaced the rotted plywood with a fresh 5/8th inch Birchwood piece of plywood. I did not glass it or even cover it with diluted epoxy thinking that I wouldn't be able to get staples into it.

I discovered this morning that the fine piece of birch plywood I used was mostly rotted out already. so off came the seat again. But before I play the same tune again, I thought some one might know of some other material that isn't exotic or cost an arm and a leg. Has anyone else had this experience? My thoughts are to use another piece of plywood and use diluted epoxy to help keep it a little more water proof.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: I hate doing things twice

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dick,

Use 1" pvc foam board. No coating, no rot, easy to staple, do once and done forever...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Thanks Patrick. I'll scout around and see if I can find some locally or on line. I need a piece 14" x 63.5". It's a real PIA doing this job over and over.

Thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dick,

If you can't find it, call Mike at Sunray Plastics in Riviera Beach, FL - 561.844.7722 He has the material in stock. Tell him you're a friend of mine.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Thanks Patrick. It looks like Acme Plastics in Fort Myers has it. At least their web page says they do. I'll be on the phone in the morning to find out.

Dick