Has anyone else cried when you sold your Bertram?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Has anyone else cried when you sold your Bertram?

Post by bertram 20 »

Have my 20 Bahi Mar for sale been in my family for 40years and is now to small for my family, this was my dads boat , I have moved up to a 28Fbc.I feel like I am making the hardest decision in my life to let her go,but the gentleman who wants it has many boats and money and wants to restore her over time so that has helped, he has also said he will keep in contact with me about what is going on with boat but it still is killing me to pull the trigger, I didnt think it would be this hard to do, people say its just a boat, but its not its a part of my family.Sorry for babbling but needed to talk to people that understand. Mike
dougl33

Re: Has anyone else cried when you sold your Bertram?

Post by dougl33 »

Glad to hear you were able to sell the 20. I'm just sorry I was not in a position to buy it myself. To answer your question, I did not cry when I sold my 28 back in 2002 as I knew I was moving up to a 33 which I still have.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I gave a 20 away, but I had two......
John F.

Post by John F. »

I kick myself in the ass on a daily basis for selling my previous B31, the Anna E. I did a lot of work on her, named her after my daughter (now a sophomore in college), and spent a lot of time on her with the wife and kids. Oldest kid went off to college, the B31 wasn't getting used, and she was a gasser that was going to need a repower. Got a fair offer for her and sold her. Financially, it made sense. I had a kid in college and needed the money, she wasn't getting used much, and I couldn't justify a diesel repower with the market the way it is. Emotionally, it was a stupid decision.

We don't have boats, especially these boats, because they make financial sense. We have them because it makes us happy. So, I'm doing it again to Crows Nest--slowly. If I could go back in time, even though it made sense at the time and still does, I wouldn't have sold the Anna E. I've had a few boats, and with the exception of the Anna E., never looked back. Still pisses me off that I sold her. There, now I'm in a really crappy mood.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

mike ohlstein wrote:I gave a 20 away, but I had two......
By default, you would have to have given up "Mean Team Leader" if you shed a tear, wouldn't you?

Tom
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

Thanks john now I am having second thoughts again this is the worst decision ive had to make if I still go through with it I am gonna put first refusal in the bill of sale should he ever decide to sell
Carl

Post by Carl »

Take a picture of the boat...Slap it on the wall as a reminder.

Now, Stick out your hand and grab the cash...then go fill up your 28's fuel tank and go make new memories with your family.

It's just Stuff...Stuff is replaceable.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

TailhookTom wrote: By default, you would have to have given up "Mean Team Leader" if you shed a tear, wouldn't you?

Tom
Exactly
Tom

Post by Tom »

As the leader of the mean team, you can be sure he doesn't cry in any circumstance. Rather any liquid running down his cheek would be either rainfall or aqueous humor from his gouged out eye. But not tears.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I couldn't sell my 31...BH
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

The only way I could sell would be if I was moving right next door to one of you bastards.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

I know the feeling. My father purchased our 31 new in 1975. I have it now that he is gone. Too many memories to let her go. She was named after my mother. I have never thought of changing the name.

Dropped a pair of diesels in her a few years ago, and have not thought twice about it.

I will have her until I either can't do it financially or I just can't do it.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

If you don't have to sell it, don't. Store it somewhere, find a buddy with a farm or a warehouse who can store it for cheap or free. If you have to sell it do sell it and keep the memories. I agree with Carl that life is for living, but sorry, boats are not just stuff...they are part of the fabric of our lives. An old family boat is worth saving, you will be in a position to buy and use boat of that size one day and when that day comes, what boat do you want that to be?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocket wrote:If you don't have to sell it, don't. Store it somewhere, find a buddy with a farm or a warehouse who can store it for cheap or free. If you have to sell it do sell it and keep the memories. I agree with Carl that life is for living, but sorry, boats are not just stuff...they are part of the fabric of our lives. An old family boat is worth saving, you will be in a position to buy and use boat of that size one day and when that day comes, what boat do you want that to be?

Are we "saving" a boat from destruction or just sticking it somewhere so it can sit and rot in an attempt to hold onto some memories?

If you store it someplace....gonna use it? maintain it? If you are...by all means keep it.

Otherwise, if you have any feeling for it/the boat...let it go. Let it be used like it was meant to be used...let someone else cherish it and make some new memories with it.

A boat may be the fabric of our lives...although I prefer not to believe any boat bares that much weight, ...think it is more the water, people and Boating lifestyle...but we are not talking about giving up Boating or Bertrams for that matter...he has another Bertram, a 28 FBC that better suites his families needs...
John F.

Post by John F. »

I find that my B20 is the perfect compliment to my B31. For light tackle, a quick (or not so quick) blast on a nice day, the B20 is a better tool than the B31. Keep both. Just sayin'
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have to admit i welled up not when I sold the boat but the week later when i made my good by video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sJ46mWJ7Y" I thought of the kids that now have families of there own and friends that are no longer with us tournaments won and great memories….I guess that why i bought another 31, just to do it all again!
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

thanks jimmy great video there are some awesome shots of your boat in that video.I am feeling better about letting it go, i still will be boating on my 28 so yes time to make new memories, maybe i will make a little 20 Bahia Mar shrine and put it in the 28"s cabin
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike,

do you need to sell her?

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

JimmyG wrote:I have to admit i welled up not when I sold the boat but the week later when i made my good by video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sJ46mWJ7Y"" I thought of the kids that now have families of there own and friends that are no longer with us tournaments won and great memories….I guess that why i bought another 31, just to do it all again!

That is what boating is all about...

Awesome video...thanks for sharing.

Carl
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jimmy

Great Video. Makes me think about the family and friends that stood on the deck. Every time I go out, I feel like those that are no longer with us are still there. Some how I know, that my father is always along for the ride.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

TailhookTom wrote: By default, you would have to have given up "Mean Team Leader" if you shed a tear, wouldn't you?

Tom

Mike had a plastic surgeon seal shut his tear ducts just for that reason.

Mean Team Leader for Life.