The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

A winter evening in Alabama

Post by Harry Babb »

Video from last Thursday night

Sure helps that the pool is heated and at 77 Degrees

hb
Last edited by Harry Babb on Jan 26th, '14, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
hb
Tony Meola

Re: A winter evening in Alabama

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

That picture tells me that you are addicted to the Ocean.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony.......I do love the water.....rivers, bays and oceans....

The post is actually a short video taken with a Smart Phone......I had trouble posting it......seems that the phone is smarter than I am.......

Headed to Vortex Springs for a checkout dive with 2 of my grandchildren this coming Saturday.

hb
hb
neil

Post by neil »

Mean while in Jersey were swimming on the lagoon, not in it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Springs and Quarry dives lose their appeal in very short order.
Kinda like a deep pool dive...you keep checking your pressure guage just hoping you run out of air soon.
Wait for the open water dives! Those are awesome and fly by!

Have fun, be safe.

Carl
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Love the boots Neil! They add to the angel effect!

:)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Neil, Junior doesnt have a string of ice fishing traps running down the lagoon? Just like riding a bike Harry, all that diving you did on the Chaperell will come right back to you. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
neil

Post by neil »

tomorrow we will
be in aruba so things are ok
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Great comback Neil.......good pic.....Down here we call those boot "Bon Secour Reeboks" (Bon Secour is a shrimping/fishing community) or "Bayou la Batre Reeboks"

Please send us some WARM pics from Aruba....

hb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harry: Around here the white boots are "Tangier Loafer" named after the island in the Bay.

Carl: I still remember that thermocline from my first and only quarry dive 30 years ago! Brrrrr!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
Double clicked the image in your original post and it went to Photo Bucket and played. Such excitement! I could hardly contain myself.
Now if we could have had some action on Neil's angel . . .
ARUBA! Such bragging on this board, damn!
Have a great trip and at least do what my bro and I do when we travel to the Caribbean on business. At sunset face North, hold your glass up with one hand and give the famous single-finger salute with the other. So satisfying.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Harry - That is great.

While we were in Indonesia, I got my PADI open water. My 9 year old became completey addicted. Since he was only 9, he could only go to 2 meters and had to be with an instructor at all times. Last trip we made to Gili Trawangan, we did 9 dives.

"His" instructor ended up tethering a float ball to him so he could not submerge further than 2 meters. I spot him a few times completely vertical trying like hell to pull the float underwater.

He could practically train other kids when a 'new' kid came to do the bubble maker course.

Ian.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ian wrote:"His" instructor ended up tethering a float ball to him so he could not submerge further than 2 meters. I spot him a few times completely vertical trying like hell to pull the float underwater.
That's great Ian......and I bet your son has great stories for "Show and Tell" at school.

I was back at the pool again tonight with 2 of my grandsons.....Alan and Ben....they are getting certified. Will be back in the pool again tomorrow AM.....I am gonna try to get a few shots with a GoPro.

I think its good to get these kids involved in good activities at a young age.....builds their self confidence and give them a good healthy way to burn off energy.

Got more pics?? That is a good one that you shared! !

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

ianupton wrote:Harry - That is great.

While we were in Indonesia, I got my PADI open water. My 9 year old became completey addicted. Since he was only 9, he could only go to 2 meters and had to be with an instructor at all times. Last trip we made to Gili Trawangan, we did 9 dives.

"His" instructor ended up tethering a float ball to him so he could not submerge further than 2 meters. I spot him a few times completely vertical trying like hell to pull the float underwater.

He could practically train other kids when a 'new' kid came to do the bubble maker course.

Ian.

Ian,
If your stateside again...look into the Explorers Post, a specialized offshoot of the Boy Scouts. I joined a Scuba Post where I was able to get my certification younger then at the dive shop...it was the old NAUI Cert. They had the same instructors as the Dive Shop...but as the group learning was only kids and young teens, the training was way more stringent and safety conscience. Once you were certified...lots of dives...open, beach, muck, Quarry, spring dives and we got to do hardhat dives...great experience.

Great way to make lots of dives
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Harry - I don't have any other pictures handy. Computer still in sea container somewhere.

Carl - I was never an explorer, but an eagle scout all the way. Griffin turns 10 in July so I think we will plan something later in summer.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ian- Boy Scouts was ok...I got tired of talking about what we were going to do. Planning for what we were going to do and hardly ever doing. Maybe it was just my Troop, but I got board early on.

Explorers, Venturers or the more popular Sea Scouts concentrated on a single purpose and we had opportunity to dive almost weekly at times. I started on a Post Rifle Team, found out about the Diving Post at a year end awards meeting and promptly joined that Post as well. They have Posts for law enforcement, aviation and and...

...but seems like your son is set to go.

Harry- how was the checkout dive?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My 13 year old grandson learning the skill of removing his mask.

Chris (my son in law) and I

Chris (my son) and I

We're getting all practiced up....this was in the pool yesterday.

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Great pics Harry, brings back some diving memories....The kids know what they are training for? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob H wrote:The kids know what they are training for? BH

Yupp! ! ! and very excited....

In the spring we will be going to Australia to satisify the largest item on our Bucket List. This trip has been on our minds for 28 years.....and its now or never.

hb
hb