I dropped 200F EGT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

I dropped 200F EGT

Post by Harry Babb »

Took these puppies off and immediately........dropped EGT 200 Degrees.

hb
hb
dougl33

Re: I dropped 200F EGT

Post by dougl33 »

Were they dirty? I wash mine every year.
Regards,

Doug L.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Harry Babb wrote:Took these puppies off and immediately........dropped EGT 200 Degrees.

hb
Harry:

You dropped 200 degrees or dropped to 200 degrees? I'm highly confused - but it has been a crazy couple of days.

Tom
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Air, its a beautiful thing.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug......this filter is brand new......I see discoloration but you can very easily see light thru the pleats.
Probably don't have more than 25 hours on it......it may be slightly dirty but not excessively dirty

This is the same filter setup that came on the engines when I got them (used) and I simply replaced the old cartridge with a new one.

Tom the EGT decreased by 200 Degrees.

From day one my EGT would get up to 900 degrees or so if I really stood on the throttles. A good cruise 2400 or so my EGT ran about 750 to 800 degrees.

Just by happenstance a few weeks ago I removed the Filter from my port engine and immediately my Port engine EGT dropped to 600 degrees.

Last Saturday I was in the river goofing around. The STBD engine was running at 750/800 degrees so I stopped and removed the filter from the STBD engine and now my STBD EGT runs 600/650 just like the Port engine EGT.

Last night I found out that my 300 HP 5.9's flow 602 Cubic Feet per minute......but I cannot find out the CFM rating of the filer that I am running.......obviously its not large enough.

So from here I find a filter that flows 600 + CFM and see what difference that makes.....

hb
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Take it out in this big chill, It'll go faster eating all that cold air :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

LOL Scot......DeNada may like it but I'm sure I cannot take it! ! !

Chris tried a couple of times Sunday to get me to team up with him and check antifreeze in all of our junk......I was more interested in a boat ride.

Monday PM I got pretty motivated in checking antifreeze and draining the stuff that don't run.....he reminded me several times that this would have been much more pleasant had we done it when it was 70 degrees.......obviously I had no response.....nor a leg to stand on! ! !

Actually the weather we are having right now very closely resembles the weather we had when I was in grade school......temp in the teens during the 50's and 60's was pretty common....

hb
hb
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thanks Harry -- since I now have outboards I wasn't thinking about the Exhaust Gas Temperature -- I was thinking your water temp dropped 200 degrees!

Yo ho, yo ho, a non-turbo life for me....

Tom
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, put a set of the cummins filters on and see what happens. Think you just helped me solve my riddle on the starboard engine. I have those same filters. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
frank price

Post by frank price »

Thanks Harry,
I have what looks like the same filters and run about 900 or so, which is supposed to be OK but 200 less would be a hell of a good thing! I will have to try removing one when the water thaws out..