winter to do list

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1962 31

winter to do list

Post by 1962 31 »

what's on everyone's winter to do list
so far I got new enclosure ,removed all old electronics except a stubborn transducer
ordered new cabin lights all led
want to redo bottom soda blast all off
also want to redo cooling system an both motors all manifolds and risers are from 2007 probably time ??
and new cockpit side panels of some sort not sure how I wanna do them yet
Tony Meola

Re: winter to do list

Post by Tony Meola »

Well, as always the updates continue. Will look to put in a new 12 volt panel, new Bimini top, new toilet.

If I was doing side panels again, I would get a sheet of AZEK and make the pieces from the AZEK. You can paint them or leave them alone. Never worry about them rotting.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Side panels on Crows Nest are made out of AZEK. Good stuff. I like 'em.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

What thickness did you use for the side panels? Thanks
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Anyone have any experience with painting Azek directly with Awgrip?

As opposed to priming it first?

Unpainted Azek would scuff easily and I'm not sure of what cleaning compounds etc one would use on it?

Replacing my cockpit's side panels has been on my winter to do list since 2002.............

2 years ago I painted my flybridge's side panels with Awlgrip, no primer...... just a very light sanding and good cleaning of the original Betram OEM panels then 3 coats of Awlgrip rolled on to them............and they are holding up fine so far.

Happy New Year to you all.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

The Azek recommends an acrylic paint. Check with their website for better info. I used it for paneling on a B28 with the minimum thickness of 3/8". Worked out great and I have left it unpainted with no problems.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What's winter?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Preston Burrows wrote:Anyone have any experience with painting Azek directly with Awgrip?

As opposed to priming it first?

Unpainted Azek would scuff easily and I'm not sure of what cleaning compounds etc one would use on it?

Replacing my cockpit's side panels has been on my winter to do list since 2002.............

2 years ago I painted my flybridge's side panels with Awlgrip, no primer...... just a very light sanding and good cleaning of the original Betram OEM panels then 3 coats of Awlgrip rolled on to them............and they are holding up fine so far.

Happy New Year to you all.

Maybe if Bob Lilco is around he will jump in. He uses Azek on quite a few items.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

put a new alternator in
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

For me it's those pesky little things called 6BTAs and being able to buy them! (family and house come first dam it)!!
John F.

Post by John F. »

I'll check the thickness of the AZEK side panels when I go to the boat--I think they're 1/4". They've never been painted, and look fine. Crows Nest has AZEK cockpit panels, cabin headliner, and the vertical panel next to the dinette is AZEK. Doug liked AZEK.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I have my cockpit side panels off and they are 3/8 thickness for the sides (note that I have a Bahia, so I have two sets of side panels - approx. 10' forward and 8' aft) and the 8' transom piece is 1/2" thickness. I plan on getting some AZEK tomorrow, several buddies in construction have mentioned it extremely favorably and use it in coastal houses without the need to paint
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

My to do list is.. Finish headliner, get cabin upholstered, raise waterline..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

All the expose panels like water/ electric in cockpit ,transom panel,companion way sides ,bulkhead ,battery boxes,structural supports holding companion way sole are made of Azak brand PVC board( absolutely no substitutes from box stores). The stairs riser are painted awlgrip .azek is a no brainier especially for a boat with heavy use. Nicked,scratched,scuffed,what ever sand 220 and then 320 by orbital sander .no argument it will last a 1000 years under salt water what's not to like!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

You can see the cockpit water/ electric panel as well as companion way panels .if you think you may have to take it apart use 3m uv 4000 if you want it together forever PL waterproof or 5200 if you need a white seem out of the sun.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bruce wrote:What's winter?
That's when those old rude northerner drive 9mph in the left lane and cause all kinds of traffic snarls .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:That's when those old rude northerner drive 9mph in the left lane and cause all kinds of traffic snarls .
Ha....LOL......They do the same thing in Alabama......when in the dead of winter the temp dips into the 40's......

I just told Jo Ann yesterday that when I retire I want to buy a "Plad" wardrobe.....pull my pants up to my chest.....move to Michigan.....and drive 15 MPH down the interstate.......

hb
hb
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I really need to rewire the 25. What a mess. I only wish I knew what I was doing.
Mount the swim ladder.
Install the Garmin chartplotter.
Name the boat.
Maybe paint the hull/topsides.
Fix the running lights and replace with LED's
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bob in regards to your headliner I gave a guy a hand on engine fix and and gave me the leftover box of Fabric wall mounting strips. To make you familiar that is the headliner all the Bertram,Haterass boats use. The strip are place on the ceiling with another type just for border then you take the leatherette or what ever and use a pizza cutter to tuck into groove of the T strips and the border strips. If you neede access to ceiling you can carefully put down then put back up after repair.needless to say it looks a 1000% better then that cheap vinyl with the holes in it. -------fabric wall ,St. Louis mo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Winter Project List

1. Kill more geese
2. Kill more deer
Oh yeah this is boat related
3.Varnish teak bulkhead and overhang
4. Adjust valves
5. Dripless packings
6. Completely rig one 33ft customized "non Bertram",photos to follow, Not mine.
7. Fish the Buccaneer Cup
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

JP, looks to me like you have been doing the first two!!!!

Paint hull, modify exhaust and scuppers, replace a bunch of through hulls above the waterline, strip and barrier coat and repaint bottom, fill a bunch of unnecessary holes in hull above the water line. No more swim platform for now, time will tell. New underwater lights from Macris Industries. Maybe even trim tabs! We shall see about that one...

No, I am not doing this myself, Skip Helme and his intrepid crew are hard a work right now.

Next year above the rub rail.

Alchemy is getting a well deserved update.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

JP with all the geese I've shot over the years I still can't say I have found a recipe that works without bacon involved! Maybe you have a solution to that problem? Otherwise I have to fall back on uncle Vic. "First you make a roux.................
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm looking to start striping old hardware from the bridge, do new canvas and a new rail/ rocket launcher. Gonna wait until early spring.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

MarkS wrote:JP with all the geese I've shot over the years I still can't say I have found a recipe that works without bacon involved! Maybe you have a solution to that problem? Otherwise I have to fall back on uncle Vic. "First you make a roux.................
Used to eat whole roasted goose as a kid, back when the birds came down feeding on corn and grain fields. It was great, especially the Maryland birds. Now the birds are mostly local and come down feeding on rye, soccer and golf courses. They taste like shit

So to your point Mark, now it's all about the bacon. We just cut the breasts out them sliced it thin. Marinade and roll a jalapeño inside and wrap with bacon. 400 degrees for 20 minutes and its really good. Even do it with deer for a change of pace. We killed 8 more of them yesterday. Off to cut holes in boats today, burr
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Haven't tried the pepper that's a nice twist! You know the bacon keeps the extremists away too! Stay warm!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Stuf the goose with an old leather shoe and as much dog shit as possible. Bake at 400 degrees for 3 hours. Allow to cool. Remove the shoe and slice thin. Serve with dog shit on the side. Toss the goose.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
gplume

Post by gplume »

All doing side panels...used azek on mine. Looks good and wears well.....plus no paint needed. I recomend.

Bob H-
Use Shearwater as a template....bet you don't sit lower than me.
Giff