oil transfer pump

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

oil transfer pump

Post by JohnCranston »

Fellas,
It's time to change the oil in the Yanmars. I think that the oil pans are plumbed with hoses already. What would be my best bet for a hd transfer pump? I don't have alot of space in my engine room and would like for the pump to be portable...I'd like to use it for moving diesel around also.
Thanks very much.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
JohnV8r

Re: oil transfer pump

Post by JohnV8r »

John,

I have a Jabsco portable oil change system like the one in the link. I use it with Home Depot 5 gallon buckets so I can simply take the buckets and leave them at the oil recycling facility. The pump reverses so you can refill the empty oil bottles, but it's a messy proposition and I prefer to put a lid on the buckets and drop them off. You can plumb the intake for whatever you OD hose you have connected to your engine. I don't think the pump is anything special. I'd give you the model # off the pump, but mine is in my dock box 1:45 away. Hope this helps.

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Jabsco-1780 ... Qgod5yAAdA
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Reverso makes some nice pumps but they are expensive. Call Depco Pump and ask them.

http://www.depcopump.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
Buy a 12v gear pump. That way the oil can be changed cold. Use an empty 5 gallon bucket to pump into. On the end of the pump leads put two med clips to clip on a ground and either battery lead at starter or a hot lead on a solenoid to run. Not at battery as that could lead to a spark and a battery going boom.

That's the only thing I ever used even over many on board system because the gear pump will pump cold oil and impeller pumps won't. Current pump has gotta have 8,000 or more gallons pumped with zero failures. The one I had before that my dad had used since the 70's in our boats and then gave it to me and I used it in the business till some bastard stole it from my shop. It had to have had 20,000 gallons on it.

If they are the 6LP and your using the factory oil drain hose make sure the dip stick is all the way seated otherwise it will suck air and only partially drain the pan.

If you wait a couple days after running, punch a screw driver thru the top of the oil filter and let drain for an hour. Since they are upside down that way they will drain back into the engine and they won't drip a drop.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Bruce,

Is this the type of pump you are referring to?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... QgodmX0AWA
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
That one is set up to reverse.
I saved coin and just reverse the battery leads.

The one I bought was about half that much.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks John, Rawleigh, Bruce for the responses,
Bruce, I found a Groco gpv1 pump for $188 at boatparts.net. How do you have your pump plumbed?
I appreciate all of the help guys.
John.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: oil transfer pumpnt size hose depending on with engine I

Post by Bruce »

since its portable I just used a 1/2 hose barb on each pump end with 4' of hose on each side, oil resistant hose. one end would go into the pour spout on an empty 5 gallon oil bucket, the other end on standard use had different adapters to go to different size hose for what ever slip over fitting I ran into or pipe fitting as the 6lp hoses have. btw factory uses 1/4 male pipe with a cap.

if you get a 1/4 union one end screws onto the yanmar end the other has a 1/2 hose barb for the pump hose to slip on.

I mounted my pump on a block of 1" starboard to keep from scratching engine finishes as I just sat the pump on top of small to mid size engines.

when done I curl up the hoses connect with a double 1/2 hose barb with the pump and wires and put into an empty open 5 gallon bucket with a diaper at the bottom and toss the adapters I made with it for storage. I also keep different size filter wrenches and filter plyers in the bucket also.
GaryG

Post by GaryG »

I am have had good service from a permanently installed Reverso gear pump plumbed to the oil drains on the engines (also the generator). I normally have a (secured) 5gal pail plumbed with a fitting in the lid with a drain/fill tube to make topping off the engine oil and changing oil really easy. This has really eliminated the previous hassle of topping off the oil on longer trips or where I have ended up changing oil at an anchorage in some remote part of Baja Mexico.

I'll also 2nd the opinion that 5gallon bucket + lids are a lot easier to deal with than an open bucket or a collection of 1 Gal oil bottles.
1971 Bertram 38 Sport Fisherman, "Blue Mage"
B38MkII Widebody, Ray Hunt Design - The B31's Big Brother
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,
I appreciate the step by step instructions.
Thanks again.
John.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Since I always change my oil warm I found a 12 volt rubber impellor pump at Harbor Freight for about $40.. not sure how long it will last, but it has done well so far. It came with leads with clips on them for attaching to a battery.. this is my second one.. I "loaned" my original to someone, can't recall who", and have not seen it since!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!