Lost my nuts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Lost my nuts

Post by Kevin »

I had my props tweaked at the shop in order to maximize my gains after the bottom redo. The prop guy said that I was out of pitch and rake on both props. Not a huge surprise since I have hit a thing or two over the past two years. Trap line will most certainly mess up a prop if you hit enough of them. Boat lifts will too, ask me how I know.

So I put those nice shiny props back on the boat today. Was excited to see what my gains were. Turns out, the prop man did me right. While still hitting my WOT spec I gained 1 Knot at cruise between prop and bottom redo. So the goal of 25kts cruise has finally been accomplished. CUP is the key.

Some things to consider while putting props on:
I always used blue Loctite paste in the past and the cotter pins. This time I did not. I figured after the shake down cruise I would re torque and pin them. Not going to use reverse other than twisting the boat around in canal to put her back on the lift....so why bother. Idle speed only in reverse. I had never had nuts back off before.

Got back to the dock after sea trial and did the aforementioned spin in the canal. No problem. Hit the lift and needed some reverse, made funny sound. Clutched forward again and nothing! Floated her onto the lift and raised her. YUP, as thought, no more propeller.

So now instead of fishing tomorrow I have to perform a search and rescue for a prop in my canal which is pretty much a mud pit(13 feet of mud to cap rock).

So I had a good day and a bad day at the same time. No issues with key way on shaft, looks good to me. Rudder has a few marks in it so the prop will have to go back to the shop for a check up.......assuming I find it.

I guess I have not made that many stupid mistakes and I was overdue. Could have been much worse.

I hope I have been able to provide some entertainment for you guys.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Lost my nuts

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Believe me, that ain't my kind of entertainment at all. Good luck searching for the prop. You'll be amazed at how far back and laterally a spinning prop can travel...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

that sucks to bad a magnet will not work.

maybe a metal detector possibly borrow one ?
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Found it. Took about 20 minutes of probing with aluminum pipe. Visibility was zero so I got lucky in that aspect.
It is pretty banged up from impacting the rudder. Back to the prop shop in the morning.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Kevin, Its always better to be lucky than good...bet that cotter pin will always be in place from now on...you get the ask me how I know..lesson learned the hard way..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Man... you need to take better care of your nuts!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

IRGuy wrote:Man... you need to take better care of your nuts!
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kevin

In 38 years I had the props nuts loosen up once. Cotter pin held it all together. Like yours it came loose while backing into the slip. Thought the transmission was going bad. It was clunking in forward and reverse.

Get your self a big #$% wrench so you can put some pressure on those nuts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kevin,
Did you go with the VC performance epoxy on the bottom?, if so, any comments?
Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Got my prop back today. 50 to fix it. Diving in the stinging mud was the worst part about the whole episode so far.

Loctite and cotter pins no exceptions from now on. I did pull the other prop so I could move the bunks for some touch up paint work. The nuts were not tight, but I did have to use the puller to get the prop off.

I did use the VC Performance Epoxy. Mark and I made the decision that we would skip the barrier coat/primer since this was a lift boat and I spent tons of time doing prep work, filling and fairing etc.(I now know that I am not good at it) According to Interlux, the VC Performance Epoxy is a water barrier itself by nature. If you do it on a new boat the results would surely be better than mine since the surface is virgin. I should have used the barrier/primer to fill all the blemishes you do not see while doing the prep work. Those LPHV sprayers do a heck of a job not wasting paint, but spraying it seems to show all the imperfections(although NO brush marks). Keep in mind that from 15 feet the average joe would think it is a new boat/bottom, but you guys would know from experience what went on to get it there. Over all, I am thrilled with it because of the appearance and the speed gains. 22 knots was my cruise for years until I started messing with decreasing drag on rudders and weight distribution. That allowed me to add a light cup and got me to around 23.5 knots for a year or two. The VC bottom job allowed me to go with a medium cup for a final speed of 25 knots at cruise and over 29 kts WOT. I don't know how much more I can do with 212 HP per motor. Probably not much. I have not hooked the laptop up to find out fuel consumption, but I presume I still burn 13-14 GPH, just going a bit faster now. The learning experience and has been great, not to mention the pride that goes with the accomplishment. Would I do it again, HELL NO! I had it on the pins during sea trial and came across a buddy on his flats boat. He said something along the lines of, G-Dammm, you looked like you were hauling ass.

Mark, how is the old spine doing? When I get back from the trip we need to kill something that is dumb and delicious.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Kevin wrote: Mark, how is the old spine doing? When I get back from the trip we need to kill something that is dumb and delicious.
hey Kevin... well, it's been better for sure. Making some progress with the physical therapy, but I had some regression injuries too. If I were only wealthy, and didn't have to work, then I could heal up a little better.
I'm pretty sure if we gave the ol "K" boat the gucci treatment for the bottom like we discussed, you'll see more substantial gains in speed and economy... this winter Sir, you and I are gonna spend some time on that newly whitened bottom.
Also got your email... I love the name. About time! Post it up.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Here is back on 2005 after I bought it and started prepping for paint it. This boat was apparently a real POS but I did not know any better at the time.

wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin, and Buju, Seachele has moved from Stuart to Founders Prk in Islamorada,down this weekend ,gonna make it a bi weekly stay. Let's get together,,, Bill
Bill
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hey Bill, I saw Seachele sitting pretty in her slip when I launched a skiff there a few weeks ago. I'm game to get together - Mark 305-394-2842

Kevin, she (he?) looks great. We gotta do right by it though, and give the bottom the "gucci" treatment... this winter. I know you dont want to, but once it's done you'll have zero regrets. When's the departure for the Biminis?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bill,
I wish the timing was better, the wife's family just flew in last night. today is looking like the best day this week as far as wind goes. Some very odd wind conditions predicted this week....not normal for this time of year I may try to get them to the sand bar today. we leave wednesday for orlando for a couple days . going to take all the kids to see Mickey!

Mark,
Gucci treatment? I was thinking of actually learning how to go for sails this winter. I mean, people pay to come down here and do that and we have it in the front yard! weather permitting next monday is the departure if the wind is reasonable. another buddy is bringing his PWC down for the crossing from here. Cant find anything online about Marathon to Bimini on a ski........may be a first? Other buddy coming from Tarpon springs on his boat on saturday. Trailer to Naples and then 100 miles to Marathon. Snotty in those parts @ 15knots plus.

Time to go put props on boat. Where is my loctite? Oh yeah, I think it is with my cotter pins.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Kevin wrote:Mark,
Gucci treatment? I was thinking of actually learning how to go for sails this winter.
Yeah- "Gucci"- make the bottom truly fair... we could do it in a weekend, then another couple gallons of VC the next weekend. Maybe plan on doing that in October when it begins to cool off, and by early November you'll be ready for sails when the fronts start coming through.

The sails are no problem. I can do that in my sleep, at least up here. As long as we can find bait down there on the inside of the reef, game on Sir.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mark,
A single weekend sounds like a tall order to fill!
Went to the sand bar yesterday despite the wind. Not much has changed. Sand bars on SE Florida all seem to be the same. Weekdays they are nice. Weekends and Holidays the niceness seems to go away. Too many 30' Concept cookie cutters with overpowered stereo systems and they think everyone wants to hear it. Maybe I just need a better stereo system.
At least my props did not fall off. The rain sure is coming down today.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin, no problem, heading back to Stuart tomorrow but boat remains now a permanent resident of Monroe county. Be back in a week for several days,meet up sometime,Bill
Bill