Todays adventure

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Todays adventure

Post by Harry Babb »

We left our boat house this morning at 7:00 and motored down the river towards Mobile Bay.

Once we got to the bay we went north about 20 miles to watch the start of the anual Dauphin Island Sailboat race.

Then from there we visited the historic "Middle Bay Lighthouse" took advantage of a photo op for our Christmas video.

After leaving the Middle Bay Light we ran about 25 miles southeast to the Wharf where after eating lunch we walked thru a very nice car show and wet boat show.

From there we ran back to Fish River and arrived at the boat house at about 5:00.

Take a look......was a wonderful day on the water with my family.

Imagine this.....at one time a "Cow" lived on the Lighthouse......

http://alabamalighthouses.com/Middle%20 ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hb
JP Dalik

Re: Todays adventure

Post by JP Dalik »

Looks like another great day on the water.

I'm happy for having met a bunch of the faces in those pictures.

Those are the days that matter the most, all the sanding seems to become worth while doesn't it. Congrats Mr Babb by all popular standards you sir have arrived. But I expect you know that already!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, I see Miss Joanne is getting her sea legs...looks like a great day indeed..making memories is far more fun than all that grinding..just cashing in on all that equity labor you shelled out...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Great looking family. Didn't know there were those screw pile lighthouses outside the Chesapeake Bay. Reminds me of the Thomas Point Lighthouse near Annapolis where we lived for many years.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

All right Harry!
Thanks for sharing this... it's prime motivation for the big pre-launch push.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Although I have an affection for Lighthouses in general.......this one is quite special......she is in Mobile Bay and I can visit her as often as I wish......she was commissioned on my birthdate, December 1st.....then years later she was restored and the celebration was once again celebrated on December 1st.

She don't look very high off of the water but I can tell you when your standing on the porch getting ready to jump in the water it looks like your a mile in the sky......never mind the "No Tresspassing" sign.

We're getting geared up for a good boating season......first time in years that all of our "Stuff" is in the water and running good so early in the season.

Next adventure is an overnight Flounder (Fluke) fishing trip around Terry Cove and Ono Island.

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob.......its funny that we "Staged" Jo Anns car at Fly Creek......very near the starting line of the race......just in case.

As you can see it was dead calm.......so from there.......I talked her in to riding to the Wharf with us to see the Boat/Car show.

Needless to say that by the time we got to the "Point of no return" the wind kicked up as a front moved thru and the seas got a little choppy......the good thing was that the return trip from the Wharf, we had wind to our backs.

JP......I am a blessed man and know it......will call you tomorrow

Bob.....tell your dad that Ben has now adopted my Blow up Yacht (Zodiac) partly stimulated by his time spent with Ben at Mystic.......he had it on the river this afternoon......he looked like King of the River motoring around.

hb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harry: Looks like the "screw pile" lighthouses we used to have here on the Bay!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Big grins all around .... a big thumbs up !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Harry ,

It looks like a fab day with your loved ones !!!

Can you tell me more about the cow ??, why on earht they put a 500 pound animal up there ? for what use ?How did they get it up there ?
The piling in front , was that used to be the trampoline ? :)

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice family outing harry, looking good
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Harry all the hard work behind you now. This is what it is all about the family outing with the grand children looking up to you as there hero. " pa pa boat" .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Gert wrote:Can you tell me more about the cow ??,

LOL.....its actually a pretty good story Gert.

The time setting was back in the early 1900's.....a man and his wife lived on the light house and maintained the light. His wife gave birth and was unable to breastfeed their newborn child. So with no electricity and or refrigeration they chose to bring a cow on the light house as a source of milk for their new child. The local story goes that they also had chickens for fresh eggs.

Now for more history on the Eastern Shore (of Mobile Bay).........less than a hundred years ago (before building the "Causeway") the most popular way to access the Eastern Shore from Mobile Alabama was via Paddle wheel Steamboats. The more wealthy families owned "Summer Homes" in Fairhope and Daphne Alabama. When school was out it was common for these families to move to the Eastern Shore for the Summer. When they came over they all brought their Cows, Chickens, Goats, Ducks and other favorite animals as food sources. The all came over on the Paddle wheelers. The "Man of the house" usually remained in Mobile during his workweek and came over on the ferry on Friday and back to Mobile on Sunday.

As far as the Lighthouse family.....the story is that every couple of weeks the Light Tender came ashore for supplies.

The pilings and platform seen on the northeast side of Middle Bay Light has only been there for a couple of years now.....not part of the original structure. I am assuming that metal structure on North and South side of the light house were used as davits for launching the tenders boat. I am guessing that there was a ladder that provided access to boat.

As kids we made trips to Middle Bay Light to swim and jump from the LIght House railing......it was cool to have braggin rights that you jumped from the Light House.

Its interesting to hear that this same design was popular in Chesapeake Bay area. Until recently I never knew that the piling were "Screw Pilings". I am guessing they are solid bar. I'm not aware of them every being replaced and they are still in pretty good shape. The "X" braces are new and look like Stainless Steel.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Great pictures. Nothing better than to be on the water with the family.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Gert,
A cow will go upstairs but not down. Happened at the University of Virginia. Some fraternity guys lead one up the stairs of the rotunda and it had to be hauled down . . . in pieces.
Should have chosen goats. Milk's good and they go up and down.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

What a great time Harry! Awesome memories thanks for sharing!!
-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage