New - An Introduction

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain41

New - An Introduction

Post by Captain41 »

After a being a spectator on this site for quite a while, years actually, I can finally make my first post as a Bertram 31 owner. Last weekend my wife and I took ownership of one of the greatest boats ever made.

About the boat: it has been with a single owner in Virginia since the early 90’s. In the 90’s he would take the boat to Oregon Inlet for the summer to fish the stream but that ended in the 2000’s as he kept the boat closer to home. In its Oregon Inlet days the boat had a tuna tower but the owner removed it as he felt it made the boat too top heavy in larger seas. It’s a 1968 hull with gas engines (Chrysler M440’s). To a certain extent it is like stepping back in time as much of the interior and systems are still original (or near to it).

About us: I grew up near the water and spent my late teen’s and early twenties racing sailboats in-shore and off-shore. Also during that time I worked on a number of large yachts and finally earned enough sea time to get my 100T ticket. In my late twenties I pursued other shore based careers away from the marine industry but always had a soft spot for Bertram 31’s that I had seen during my time on the water. My wife on the other hand did not grow up on with boats and is somewhat new to it. Lets just say this purchase is her immersion therapy in spending time on the water. That said, she is incredibly enthusiastic about using the boat. And yes, the boat is named “Jersey Girl” after her. She represents all the great state of NJ has to offer (attractive, warm heart and at times an hell of an attitude).

Though we have a few outstanding maintenance issues to address with the boat we will not be making any significant changes or upgrades for a year or two. This is solely based on advice I have repeatedly read on this site (use it, learn it, then change it). We will be keeping the boat in the Annapolis area and initially exploring the upper Chesapeake Bay before venturing further.

I have spent years reading the posts on this site, learning the lessons, taking in the advice and certainly laughing a many a joke. Not being a Bertram owner I never felt it was my place to post anything on the site so here is my first. This site is not only a community devoted to one of the greatest boats ever made but is also place that fosters a tremendous brotherhood. So, I’d like to say my thanks for without this site I’m not sure we would have made the leap to purchase the boat.

Thank you all, especially Captain Patrick for all he does for the site, and I look forward to viewing life here on the site as a Bertram 31 owner.

R/Chris H
Chris H
1968 Bertram 31 "Jersey Girl"
PeterPalmieri

Re: New - An Introduction

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Post by John F. »

Welcome. I live on Kent Island, and though I no longer have my B31, I still have my B20. I'll be looking for Jersey Girl on the Bay. There are a few 31s local to Annapolis on here (Crows Nest, Mako, and others)
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Captain41

Post by Captain41 »

Here's a few pictures of the boat. I hope I have the image and files sizes correct for viewing. If not, I'll refine in the future.

Chris H
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Welcome to the sandbox Chris, I too lurked for quite some time prior to purchasing my 31. I knew what I wanted to do just needed a few pointers along the way to do it the RIGHT way. Enjoy the refit of your 31, the journey is one to treasure. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chris

Welcome. Just in case there are any other lurkers out there, please feel free to come into the sandbox, even if you don't have a 31.

Chris, seeing those blue chryslers bring back fond memories of an old friend god rest his sole. He had Chrylers in his 31, and we fished together many times.

Your wife will come to love boating. Just go easy until she gets the feel of it.

Good luck, and glad you decide to get sand on your feet.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

VERY nice boat, Chris; welcome aboard. I really like your transom fishbox, and it looks like you have the Glastec cockpit deck. You and your family will create many great memories on the water with Jersey Girl!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chris,
Welcome to your stewardship. She reminds me of A.J., huh, Guys?
I'm just off the Rappahannock and hope to come to Baltimore this summer to visit friends. Annapolis is a great stop over, so possible to meet. As the summer progresses I'll keep you informed.
She's auful purdy!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Welcome to the sandbox. I don't remember a B31 with a full tower down here ( Oregon Inlet) during the 90's. What was it named before you. Looks like a boat I have seen in Hatteras back in late 90's. Looks good enjoy.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Captain41

Post by Captain41 »

To all, thanks for the warm welcome.

John & Mikey - I especially appreciate the greetings from fellow Bertram owners here on the Bay. As with all on this site, it would be great to meet up in the future and look forward to the opportunity someday.

Frank - I can't really speak to validity of the owner's claim that the boat once had a tower. He is in his upper 70's now but he seemed very sharp when I spoke to him about the history and details of the boat. The name of the boat at that time was “Jay Bee”. I don't see any telltale signs of a tower (patch jobs from the hull connections, etc.) but he said the boat was painted afterwards.
Chris H
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

welcome aboard, boat looks clean
best of luck with her
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

very nice, I like it! best of luck with her...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Welcome Aboard. Very Nice rig
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Chris,
Welcome aboard, boat looks great, keep the water passages clean in those 440 Chryslers and don't use any ethanol gas in them> I had them in my 31 for years, they like to drink fuel, try and keep the secondaries from opening you would be amazed at how much fuel you will save. I changed out to Mercruisers throttle bodies in 1997 parts were getting hard to come by for the 440's. Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Hello! Those are the exact same engines I have except that I was able to keep the factory copper Y that attached to the back of the manifolds. I burn between 24 to 26 gallons per hour at 20 knots. As Pete said be very careful with ethanol gas if you have the original fiberglass tank. I got an ethanol test kit from Baileysonline.com to check it.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail ... 023&catID=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rawleigh on Apr 23rd, '13, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Captain41

Post by Captain41 »

Pete, Rawleigh - thanks for the welcome and advice on the fuel situation with the 440's. The previous owner said similar things about the fuel burn rate and had a few ways to keep fuel consumption as low as possible. The main one is, as you mentioned, to keep the secondaries from kicking in. I'm still working through ways to keep the ethanol away from the boat but, man, they don't make it easy.

R/Chris H
Chris H
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Chris,
Call me on my cell if you want to talk about the 440's and ethanol. My cell is 561-310-7179 call me after 4:00 PM tomorrow.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Chris,
Where about in Annapolis? I'm on the Severn River.
Bob
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Chris: i am down on the Rappahannock River. So is Mikey.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Captain41

Post by Captain41 »

All - again thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

Pete - I'll be taking you up on the offer for a call to get your insight on the engines.

Rawleigh - I haven't spent much time on lower western shore of the Chesapeake but what I have seen has been extremely nice. After we are done poking around the upper bay I hope to get the boat back to the Rappahannock, Deltaville and the Hampton Roads area. Two of the things I'd eventually like to do is take the boat down the ICW and up the Potomac to DC so I see a lower Bay visit as good prep for those trips.

That said, I can only go to the lower bay after we get the boat up to southern NJ for a visit or two. Its in the plans to visit by water some of the locations where my wife grew up. And, in this case, like so many others: happy wife, happy life.

Bob - I have the boat at a marina off Round Bay in top part of the Severn.

R/Chris H
Chris H
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi there welcome to the club

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Chris,

If you're talking about Rick Smiths I was standing next to your boat today. I dropped my center console off with him to put new trim tabs on it and saw what I thought was yours across the ramp. If that's it than nice find, looks like its in good shape. That's where my 31 will be when it comes up from NC. Great marina, I've been there for 15 years.

Bob
Captain41

Post by Captain41 »

Bob - I guessing that is me. I'm around the corner from the travel lift slip. I think I saw another B31 still on the hard and shrink wrapped. Next time you are going to be at the marina PM me and let me know. It would be great to meet up.

R/Chris H
Chris H
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Will do. The other 31 docks across the creek.