Main Salon lighting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Main Salon lighting

Post by Mikey »

What over-head lighting (dimmable) has anyone used in the main salon? So many new options, which way to go? Whew!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Re: Main Salon lighting

Post by bob lico »

Basically the LED recessed light has all but eliminated any other choice of dimable light in a boat situation. Now available in any temperature range and the bulb last 50 to 100 thousand hours.needless to say they draw very little amount of precious battery power.together with the fact you could use 16 gauge wire .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob, Thanks for the info. As one of the old farts here I am still a bit mystified by the designations of LED's and how to tell what is what so as to buy the right stuff. I understand watts as in 100 watt bulb but after that I'm stumped. How about manufacturers or distributors?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Ok. -------- by the numbers only for you Mikey .the original lights in the salon and galley were incandescent 12 volt 40 watt totally antiquated then the industry move to halogen twice the brightness ( lumens) at 20 watt those little bulbs with the metal prongs sticking out base .light emitting diodes or LEDs came down in price and now available in bright white 4000k to 3000k the look of a incandescent ,they draw 1/10 of 1 watt or less!. a i simple hole saw is all that's needed for installation ,there is a SS spring that holds them into f/g surround that goes around outside perimeter of cabin.i will take a photo tomorrow of my cabin .best to go online for recess led marine lighting.when they appear real cheap it means there is no driver and run on straight 12 volt. A driver will keep the lights at constant brightness without flicker also brighter for same wattage.simple one wire from each to terminal strip then switch leg to rocker switch fed from breaker panel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
Thanks, looking forward to the pix.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mikey...

I am in the same boat as you, pun intended. I don't know how to relate a 40 watt bulb's output to a LED light's lumen output. I am very interested to see what Bob has to say.. I am installing new cabin lights this summer.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok this is this is the cabin of the phoenix 31 bertram. you will need 4 recessed led lights;one in center of doorway to cabin,two over salon area (one over each bench) and one in center of galley.the cabin of the 31 bertram is the perfect candidate for recess L.E.D. lighting because the f/g surround is slanted toward center of cabin to give perfect backdrop lighting.each LED draws about 1/4 of one watt compare to original two lights that drew a total of 80 watt . so you have the same power draw as 240 31 bertrams to one with LED lighting . silly comparison lets say you could leave lights on for season and batteries would not even sense them actually less power then clock or back light on radio. the expensive LED come with dimmer terminal the less expensive don`t. better ones are available in brass,stainless,chrome trim while the others have white plastic trims. simple installation with proper hole saw.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have another set of four that are white/white light . a contribution to this site and they are yours.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
Who is the manufacturer and are they dimmable? Is the trim S/S or aluminum? If all is good I will take them. Thanks. Easy to make a contribution to Patrick, makes the sand deeper in the box.
Looks great and has given me a different idea than I had. Thanks for messing my mind. Of course that was the easy part, huh?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Mikey the LED shown in the photo are SS to match faucets,hinges,etc in cabin. The lights I have for sale have white plastic trims. I want you to search Internet before purchase to find prices on the various makes and let me try to clear up my post on differant light sources . color of light emitted from a light is stated in temperature 4000k would be white/ white like you would see from a normal overhead fluorescent light and 3200 k would be the light yellow tinted light from a normal 100 watt light bulb. Normally decorators choose 3200 to 3600k because the light is a "softer " light .while a brighter light 4000k would be more of a "task" light like you would see in abox store ,I will not go further into warm white and others sources you get the idea.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Drat, Bob,
Wanted S/S trim and dimmable. Probably 3200k for interior. A little mood lighting. When I need the bright 400k of interrogation lighting I have fluorescents which are also white or red.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Mikey, I hooked Bob up with those lights, the stainless ones are "imtra" brand led's and they are dimmable... http://www.imtra.com I forgot which model they are I think they're the "Newport" awesome little lights, have them in my sedan as well... Make sure you get the warm white...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John, Those are G4 sockets which accept xenon and halogen bulbs. Want to get away from them as the are HOT and use bunches of electricity. LEDs are more expensive initially but use little power comparatively, last tens of thousands of hours.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Mikey,
Here are the lights I have ordered. Dont have them yet will let you know. I belive JP or someone on here used them.
http://www.i2systems.com/industry/marine-rv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1976 FBC
3208 NA
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

i2systems Apeiron A1110 4.5 watt dimmable is what I used on Hancock's B31... Worked out well. They're bright enough to comfortably light the interior, but aren't book reading lights. LED has a long way to go before it truly overcomes incandesent, but these are probably as close as you can get today...

Apeiron A1110 Specs

You need a special dimmer for LED - Dimmer Specs

Ask about their LED Touch Dimming Option
Touch 1 light, dim up to 20.
Model P1140.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Year frank that's it real classie. Beautiful work captain ------- as usual
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Mikey, there's a g4 version and the led version, mine and Bob's are the 100% the led version... Might be called something other than the newport... Ill look into it...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
luis

Post by luis »

I´ve done with small led lights , 4 plus 4 , divided by 2 switches. A group of 4 have a consumption of about 7,5W that gives around 0.6 Amps on 12 Volts.
The important thing for me is that the consumption in Amps is the less possible and with these I achieve a good value. I buy each group of 4 on Ikea and
it costs about 30 US$. These are common led lights for closets or similar but gives a warm light at night .(not for reading).
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp28 ... 150278.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp28 ... 150277.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

This is a night photo of the 50' Bertram. LED looks nice in colors that can also be switched to white. The new LED'S have come a long way I have them as my underwater lights now . I removed the halogen and I very satisfied with the led.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
Monstrous photo. Love the blue lights in the hardtop. Wondering whether the hardtop on a 31 (mine appears to be the only factory hardtop extant) has only foam between the upper and lower layers and I can fish a wire without a lot of surgery. Pat, what you tink?
Also Pat,
Great job!
Thanks to all for the info. Sorry, I hadn't been ignoring you guys, too much on my plate!
So what's new?
I'm about ready to order lights and get the ceiling complete.
Pictures when done.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein