Remote cockpit controls on 31...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Andres vW

Remote cockpit controls on 31...

Post by Andres vW »

Hi everyone,
Lately we have been looking for a second station solution in our cockpit. We usually fish short handed, one in the bridge , one cockpit and have been looking for a clean solution. We currently have Teleflex electronic controls in the bridge, and have looked at the option of putting a second unit in the cockpit (cheapest option), but feel they would always be in the way, not look the greatest.
While researching, we found an option, and while not cheap, could be a solution. link below:
http://www.yachtcontroller.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figured the collective knowledge on this site could perhaps give me some other options/thoughts/ideas.

Thanks in advance, look forward to the replies!
Andres.
bob lico

Re: Remote cockpit controls on 31...

Post by bob lico »

I have a simrad auto pilot and it is a remote unit that allows me to come from bridge and controll boat from cockpit. This not complete controll like start stop which is not really needed I just need to fight fish so I have port ,starboard,straight,stop.this is a AP-27
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Andres,

I believe Sea Nile had a second set of controls on the starboard side between the engine hatch and the gunnel. It was recessed with a cover, so when not in use you wouldn't know it was there.

That is the best mechanical solution I've seen...

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yes I Remenber Pete it was done real professional with the door closed you would not no it was there something like our captain would design.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

With out digging to deep her is a link to some photos. Didn't find anything with the hatch open

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale- ... duced.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete is was viewed on this site many years ago .way back in archives
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Here...
See the cover just outboard of the Stbd. engine box...
and here...
Possunt quia posse videntur
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Are the engines totaly electronic in nature or is the teleflex system electronic to servo that controls standard push pull cables for engine functions?
If electronic are they can-bus or nema 2000 data communication?

I saw the yacht controller system once used on an engine survey I did for a buyer on a 50 some foot Azimuth.
Worked real well as it was just the seller and I on the boat. I asked about it and apparently he got it because it was only his wife and sometimes mil on the boat and they did not do any docking help.

Worked real good.
Andres vW

Post by Andres vW »

Bruce,
The engines are Yanmar 6LPA 315hp
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

So you have the electronic/servo controls and its the can bus system communication between control head and the black computers with the led readouts on the face.

What I did on that system for temp cockpit controls was take a dual control head and mount on a plate welded to a hd rod butt and stuck in a rod holder. Any rod holder can be used to move it around.

Got a length of can bus cable connected to control head and to a y off the can bus system.

The owner kept the control head in a compartment off the cockpit and took it out when ever he needed it and stuck it in any unused rod holder near the action. Don't forget you'll need to push the select button to transfer control and then back again to your main station when done.
In the side compartment I mounted a rod holder so it would secure the controls when not in use.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

This is how i fight big game alone on my 24' Skipjack with a Simrad AP-16 with wireless remote control and notice the Morse's controls on the transom.

http://youtu.be/Il0pka-CVZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also sit back there when it's rough and enjoy the smoother ride when I'm on the outer banks away from shipping lines and no one is around.

If i recall correctly this remote that works with many Simrad electronics not just the AP and radio was about $800.00

Really enjoy this site you guys are good people thank you for your integrity.

Keith

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Warning- Thread Hijack in progress- Keith what is the disc aft of the propeller for? I have never seen before.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

jspiezio wrote:Warning- Thread Hijack in progress- Keith what is the disc aft of the propeller for? I have never seen before.
Partially blocks prop thrust for slow trolling.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Some are called "Happy Troller" or "Trol-O-Matic" spring loaded plate pull the cord and they snap down. They really work well.........unless your trying to get on plane!

Like Mike says, ask me how I know...........
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Hey guys morning from the west coast hope everyone has a great weekend.

Got lots of work done gonna do a 3 day starting Monday morning.

The trolling plate works incredibly well never had a problem slows me right down no problem getting on plane with 340 Hp big block MPI.

I had one of the ones with the cord years ago lasted one weekend and i forgot to pull the cord when i got on plane it was toast.

This one has springs no cord.

OK I'm off to build fences and patio covers and haul trash.

PS i got a call from Hawaii a few days ago found out the shark week show with the white shark tagging will air this summer.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Guys:.. I put a Controller on the stbd eng hatch,kinda like sea nile.....with electronic controls, its just plug & play..found a little hatch that fits right over & out of GRANDKIDS sight.. has a button on it to "Take command"..getting sore on the knees walkin up & down the ladder fishin bait * kelps.. use it alot.. also have a auto pilot remote like Bob .. ...
Wayne
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Ironman I love your referral to "Grandkids" yep you have to be one up on them ,like no gaffs in cockpit I put them on gin pole with two bungee straps. The reason for the remote for me is I have tone the gaff man with the same instructions every time falling on deaf ear "gaff the fish underhand" nope they go over the top and run the gaff up the hull side guess whom paints it every year! Unless the tuna goes under the boat I put remote in back pocket with boat going forward .the gin pole with one step makes a real fast accent to bridge and allways something to hold on to in rough water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Old photo with good view of gin pole step.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

bob lico wrote:Old photo with good view of gin pole step.

Handsome 31 Bob
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yachtcontroller is a cool gizmo. My friend Bill is a dealer. I can hook you up.

Dug
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Dug wrote:Yachtcontroller is a cool gizmo. My friend Bill is a dealer. I can hook you up.

Dug

Cool how much is it ?
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Bob.. I love your gin pole step.. I made one on the leg of my tower...out ofthe way.. swings in or out.. doesnt block the hatch raising either..
W
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I drilled a hole in the front of the gin pole and then install a simple 316 SS latch mounted on the wing. Simply unlatch and turn pole 1/4 turn counterclockwise and the engine hatch with open completely.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike i think you had it first ,i just put a big step on mine so i could get down real fast for help in cockpit. i also put a double rail on radar arch as a additional handle for right hand and rail on back of seat for left hand once i step onto bridge.safety first ,don't want the captain falling on his ass getting to bridge. i don`t have photo of Simrad remote but i must add i have a holder for it on bridge so i don't take valuable space on bridge dashboard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I use the pulley ropes as my hand rail.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315