Swim platform.. yes or no?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Swim platform.. yes or no?

Post by IRGuy »

For some time I have been thinking about putting a swim platform of my boat's transom. My concern is that I don't see swim platforms on the true sportfish boats around here. I can see that they might get in the way when a fish is behind the boat being brought aboard, or that they can abrade lines while fighting a fish that swims from one side of the boat to the other.. but my boat has 12" wide trim tabs, that would present these problems whether there was a swim platform or not.. probably worse problems since the planes have sharp edges.

Anyone here have any comments one way or another?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tommy

Re: Swim platform.. yes or no?

Post by Tommy »

Frank, like most issues, it comes down to how you plan to use the boat. I wouldn't be without one since we like to swim, dive, etc. Uncle Vic didn't like them 'cause he said he liked to sit on the transom while running to and from the fishing grounds and "watch the deep vee work".
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Frank,

I really can never understand the concern about transom hardware cutting off fish... It's the job of the helmsman to NOT let the fish near the transom and the job of the mate/angler to keep the fish to one side or the other of the boat when the fish is nearing the point of bringing it on board or releasing it.

The exception might be for a boat fitted with a transom door and boating a large tuna, marlin, or shark via the door. If you want a platform go for it and just learn to successfully fish around it.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Frank, I agree with Capt Pat about boat handling and angler, mate, captain communication when fish is boatside. If you do alot of drift fishing the platform may cause alot of splashing when rolling back n forth, Ive seen many a big shark tied off to a swim platform in the tournaments we've been in. Its your boat fit it out to your vision of the perfect boat and enjoy. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

When fishing large fish that would potentially become an issue at the boat primarly meaning big game weather you plan to release or harvest the fish should never be allowed to get near the boat till your ready to release or harvest and if your plan is to release accidental cut off all is good as grabbing the leader is considered a catch.

The boat should always be moving forward preferably down swell when leaderring a fish and in the hands of the leader man usually held to one side and forward of the transom.

The leader man forward allowing the gaff man room to step in and gaff the fish.

At any time the fish gets near any potentially detrimental objects that could part the line use the throttle and send the fish back away for another approach.

It's important to try and get the fish to swim with the boat and match the fishes speed and as light handed as possible maneuver it alongside for release or gaff then and only then take the boat out of gear and secure it or bring it in tail rope etc.

Most big game is lost to inexperienced crews who do not have their end game down catching them is the easy part.

Swim Step is not a problem if these principals are practiced.

This is a 19'-6" thresher that was tagged and released on a 38' Mediterranean with a 14' thresher on the swim step.
I had to drag this fish backwards against the motor up the steps to get it in position for the angler to tag it then i retreated back to the deck and hand pulled the 14/0 from the tail.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

I am about 50/50 fishing and swimming. The swim platform has been a great addition.
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks everyone for your answers.. it unanimous.. everyone here and on the B33 forum says go with the swim platform, so I will design and build one over the winter.
Frank B
--------------
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

I bought S/S brackets before and a piece of 3/4" acrylic cut and routed it out work great.

I just took a teak swim step off my 31 not sure if i'm going to hang on to it or not.

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Yes, unless you care about image, because most fisherman don't see it as anything but a swimming toy.

I look at it as more deck space and a fishing tool.

I can't imagine fishing without it. In NJ we do a lot of night fishing in the Canyons. Night fishing involves chunking tons of bait. My swim platform is home for 5 5 gallon buckets of bait for the entire trip. Our cockpits are big but getting 5 buckets off the deck is a home run in any cockpit.

Additionally I would argue that it makes some anglers more careful. It is hard to find crews that understand the importance of keeping the fish out of the gear. However when they are starring at a swim platform they know to keep the tip away from the boat. It is pretty obvious that you don't want the line to touch the swim platform. For a guy that has never swam under your boat, it is sometimes not so obvious that there is running gear under the boat.

If you are going to fish with it, it is absolutely essential that it has a soft rub rail with recessed screws. This way if a line does inadvertently come in contact, it is not game over.

I'd go for it, but be prepared that most fisherman will see you differently! I've had friends tell me that the first thing they'd do with my boat is dump the swim platform.

I can relate, and see what they see, but believe the benefits outweigh the erroneous image trouble.

Br,
Mike
http://www.lightningshack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
captbone

Post by captbone »

I like the added space and access. I have never had a problem with a swim platform, outboard engine or bracket. The only thing that ever gave me an issue was actually the trim tabs. The metal edge of the tab cut off an anchor line we were retrieving off the stern quarter.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Swim steps with no holes in them can aid in lift drifting in heavy seas with the stern to the swells but will pound hard and shake the boat.

I once stayed out all night in a wide open bite in 34 knot sustained winds & 24' swells in a 24' Skipjack and was impressed by the lift.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Been on boats with and without...really doesn't make a difference to me when fishing...other then a place to put the chum and coolers. But go to a beach or want to dive and its a pretty welcome accessory in my and families eyes. Climbing up a ladder to get back on boat stops some from getting off boat in the first place.

When I come across one at a time I have time to install one, a platform goes on.

Keith, love the idea of the acrylic...not thrilled about scratches, weathering and UV degradation of acrylic hanging off back of boat...but the idea is really cool...glass bottom boat cool.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Again what a damn shame I had at least six of them one was black powered coated aluminum where you could see water thru bars very nice and it folded up on bronze hinges real good condition ------- in dumpster we need a "needs" forum! I would never have use for a swim platform I can fit 12 5 gal chum buckets below deck if needed
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

we need a "needs" forum!
It's called Swap & Sell........
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

For me it would've been a site donation . I have been so damm busy with Phoenix bullish- t I would say there has to be a few more at marina tore off boat after storm. Warning- warning-warning anybody whom pilots a 31 Bertram like coast guard at Oragon inlet Never install a rigid swim platform! If you cris cross waves at higher then normal speeds or you you go against the grain and stay out longer then you should and now face a inlet with 10' plus following seas you need a rigid swim platform like another assho- e , or perhaps you like the the excitement of stuffing it!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

No matter what your opinion is on the swim platform yes or no. Be aware you want to plant the last four feet of the 24 degree deadrise bottom into the wave to anchor and stabilize the boat any flat surface acts like a wing striking the water on the back side of a big roller will dramatically tilt the bow of the boat in the opposite direction.Extremely dangerous in following sea also causeing the bow to dig in .----------this is the way it is.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

I have surfed 24' swells in my 24' Skipjack was a blast never had any problems with the swim step.

When i cut my acrylic swim step and 1/4 round routed the edges i used a map gas torch and heated the areas that were white from the saw and router and they turned clear but do not over heat need to watch it close and a wet rag.

This picture is about 5 years after i built it http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s ... 4051_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks everyone for all the additional information..

I take seriously Bob's comments about the stern lifting and the bow digging in when a following sea catches under a swim platform. It is my plan to build the platform with minimal area exposed to a lifting following sea by making the platform as small as possible, and having as few strips as possible, with maximum space between them. My plan is to have the platform about 15" fore to aft, made with lateral strips surrounded by a strong frame. At present I am looking at having a frame made of 1 1/2" stainless tubing, but I also am looking at an all teak design wherein I can build it all myself.

As of today I only have one quote for the stainless frame, but am trying to get at least two more.. and I have a current price for rough teak. It is too early to say much more.. but I will post more info as this issue progresses.
Frank B
--------------
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Frank,

Call Stuart Foreman (owner) at Hi Speed Welding for a quote on a frame. His shop is next to Beau's on Market St. Makes all the frames/T-tops, tanks, etc. for Beau.

http://ryderracks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Frank I delivered a sea ray 340 and the weather was not bad but the inlet was wind against tide .i took the inlet real cautious and went over a 7 footer and it felt like God pick up the stern and flip me sideward the bow went under.think what one tab can do and imagine with a 3' x 10' wing can do! Moving right along frank with the work you did on that beauty of yours I can see a " park bench" style swim platform whereby you take teak strips then put spacers in between so that the water can go thru the platform and not be a dangerous add on but you can walk,sit,dive off it just the same.they look pretty also
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Hinge it so it can fold up and lock against the transom for scooting along in a following sea.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I had a solid platform and I agree with the sea pounding the underside -- sometimes to the point that I thought it would be ripped off. I replaced it with one made out of some scrap fiberglass grating ("Seasafe" is the manufacturer) and wrapped the edges with HDPE that I routed to fit over the edges of the grating. It is super heavy duty and the grating lets the water pass thru -- no more pounding. Tought myself to weld when I made the supports -- burnt a hole in my bluejeans and did a dance as the weld bead rolled down my leg. I like having a platform and use it all of the time. Also nice if someone has to go overboard to cut a rope, fix a trim tab, etc. This is the best pic that I had.

John F.

Post by John F. »

Friend of mine had this made for his Albe 24. I think its pretty nice. Just an idea.

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Real nice and functional both glass and SS steel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice welds
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

The Acrylic comes in many colors and you can design many pattern holes or slots etc.

Another thing i recall about my 24' Skip jacks solid swim step besides it lifting well in rough seas on a drift was it also was a benefit in a fast following sea creating lift on the stern aiding in fuel economy.

I don't ever recall it causing any problems with stuffing the bow but every boat and load is different.

One other thing is when it pounded drifting while chumming sharks the noise helps attract them.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Personally I like a swim platform......it fits our boating activities. The kids like to swim and I think its a good place to keep a live bait container.

Another GREAT addition to enhance boating pleasure would be the addition of a pair of

ROCKER STOPPERS

Personally I would not have brought it up but Uncle Vic told me to mention it to you guys ........;) wink wink ;)........LOL

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Keith you are in calif. waters totally differant then the water conditions off Long Island. We have drifting sand that fills the inlets along the south shore of Long Island.summer south winds push the water into inlets and water depth goes from 90' to 30' rapidly then hit the 6 to 7' depth in the inlet creating very steep waves like 70degrees or more . The waves pick up a solid platform and toss the boat to one side or another or stuff the bow. i have the same experience in Atlantic facing inlets on Florida coast like Jupiter inlet. I was born on the water here so in 66years it is not to common to see people go to middle of bay and jump in water off swimm platform, you would normally go to fire island tie up and walk across to ocean for surf or the little ones wade in the calm low water along the bay. Where adults can keep a eye on them.as far as marina use very bad incidents occur thus the word "dock banger" and very differcult to get on and off because the platform is facing the dock and create a long way down to jump on boat.much better with finger dock and you get aboard from gunwales . Sum it up differant strokes for differant folks.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

OK, I'll bite (heh, heh)
Keith isn't that clear acrylic platform a bit on the slick side?

Possunt quia posse videntur
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

They can be a bit noisy when fishing at night ...slapping the waves . Not good ..but still the benifits are there.
Wayne
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Stephan wrote:OK, I'll bite (heh, heh)
Keith isn't that clear acrylic platform a bit on the slick side?

Never used it for swimming only bait tank and fish gear and kicker motor etc.

The life expectancy of anyone who swims off my boat goes way down lol
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

bob lico wrote:Keith you are in calif. waters totally differant then the water conditions off Long Island. We have drifting sand that fills the inlets along the south shore of Long Island.summer south winds push the water into inlets and water depth goes from 90' to 30' rapidly then hit the 6 to 7' depth in the inlet creating very steep waves like 70degrees or more . The waves pick up a solid platform and toss the boat to one side or another or stuff the bow. i have the same experience in Atlantic facing inlets on Florida coast like Jupiter inlet. I was born on the water here so in 66years it is not to common to see people go to middle of bay and jump in water off swimm platform, you would normally go to fire island tie up and walk across to ocean for surf or the little ones wade in the calm low water along the bay. Where adults can keep a eye on them.as far as marina use very bad incidents occur thus the word "dock banger" and very differcult to get on and off because the platform is facing the dock and create a long way down to jump on boat.much better with finger dock and you get aboard from gunwales . Sum it up differant strokes for differant folks.

Hello Bob

i hear you i have boated in south Florida inlets with Ian owner of Gray Taxidermy on his L&H and several other friends on other boats including Makos and surfed large breaking swells in So Cal.

100 miles off shore here at Cortez bank during a south swell there are large breaking waves.
I'll let the video speak for it's self pretty steep http://youtu.be/WeLjzzTLT08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My comments were not disagreeing with you rather stating my personal experience and to a degree agreeing with you about the lift.

My 24' Skip jack is a modified V that also has a degree of lift from the hull design.

All the best

31-Bertram Rudder Pillow Block Bearing Support kit
Stern Davit 4" X 12" Beams
gplume

Post by gplume »

Keith-
I figure i have the best of both worlds. Folding platform. I' ll see if i can find some pix to post.

Btw, do you have any plans for you cockpit bimini...i am interested if tou want to get rid of it.
Giff
gplume

Post by gplume »

Keith - 2 images...one down, one up.

Giff
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

gplume wrote:Keith - 2 images...one down, one up.

Nice!
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Giff:

That brown 'panel' showing in the photo on the port and starboard 'flybridge pilasters' of your B31 is a nice classic touch, is it paint, gel coat or some form of overlay?

Keith:

Do you know if Ian of Gray's Taxidermy is Ian Hall originally from Nassau,Bahamas?
I'm curious as if so he grew up 5 houses up the road here from me here,where I still live.
I'd heard from his brother Chris some time ago [Chris is now unfortunately deceased] that his brother Ian was at Gray's.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
gplume

Post by gplume »

Preston-

The overlay is teak....covered with Cetol (sorry teak brothers for this sacralige). I also like the way it looks...nice trim. I'vs seen a few others over the years with that option.
Giff
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Preston Burrows wrote:Giff:

That brown 'panel' showing in the photo on the port and starboard 'flybridge pilasters' of your B31 is a nice classic touch, is it paint, gel coat or some form of overlay?

Keith:

Do you know if Ian of Gray's Taxidermy is Ian Hall originally from Nassau,Bahamas?
I'm curious as if so he grew up 5 houses up the road here from me here,where I still live.
I'd heard from his brother Chris some time ago [Chris is now unfortunately deceased] that his brother Ian was at Gray's.

Yes Preston one and the same Ian Hall he still goes back to the island on his L&H you should call him.

I have more pictures and video from our swordfishing trips but here is one i found of the deck.

Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Giff: The side panels did look like Cetol like in colour to me, they are a nice classic touch indeed........it's hard to second guess us lot, what with being so inventive and all !

Keith: Cheers, that's him! He and his brother Chris are a couple of years older than me - as a slightly younger kid I was always in awe of what they were up to! Chris was the polar opposite of Ian, a burly rough,tough guy with the heart of an angel.

Now back to the swim platform question...............to me having running gear/trim tabs under the boat leaves a swim platform as being the least of one's problems with respect to fishing and line cut offs........in fact I'd say the platform helps more than hinders as it makes one more mindful of keeping fish at bay in the transom area,besides serving as either a useful fish landing aid, additional storage for whatever or safer to the water access area......especially if one boats with kids to the beach etc.

A well designed and well fastened platform leaves the negatives with respect to the boat's sea keeping capabilities etc negligible.
And a well designed fold up platform like Giff's is the cats meow in my opinion.

Whether to have or have not for a sport fishing boat or yacht is mostly a purist's / snob factor issue and debate...........and with the plush accomodations high end sport yacht's now have it's comical that a 'yachtie' would look down at anyone's swim platform in disdain then disappear in to their fully aircondtioned, satellite TV enabled electronically climate controlled salon.........

Here's a photo of my Bertram O.E.M. swim platform.........which you would not be able to pry from my cold dead hands!

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Again.. thanks to all who posted additional info since my last thank you. You guys are the best.. I got lots of good info. I am looking at two options for my design of a swim platform.. one with a stainless tubing frame and one built completely of teak. I will let everybody here know how this project progresses.
Frank B
--------------