Polycarbonate vs Acrylic etc

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kiffa
Standing Member

Polycarbonate vs Acrylic etc

Post by Kiffa »

On my power catamaran I want to replace the plastic curtains on the downstairs windows with a Polycarbonate or Acrylic or any such material that may be recomended.
The space is 3' high by 6' long and i plan to put the forward section fixed, with the back piece slide able on a track.
I think 1/4" thickness would be fine for this application.
Does anyone know of some good suppliers or have any other suggestions.
Kiffa
Standing Member

Re: Polycarbonate vs Acrylic etc

Post by Kiffa »

Here is a look at the boat and the downstairs windows I want to block.

Craig G

Re: Polycarbonate vs Acrylic etc

Post by Craig G »

In South Florida, E.T. Plastics in Fort Lauderdale sells Makralon polycarbonate. I have used 1/4 inch thick pieces on my house for hurricane windows. It has held up very well so far, about 5 years now with no yellowing or crazing. I also used much thinner Macralon on my boat and it crazed and started turning brown/yellow in less than 2 years. The thinner stuff evidently is not UV protected. I think they do sell the 1/4 inch pieces in 3 x 6 foot or 4 x 10 foot sizes and will cut them down for easier transport if need be. I can't imagine Acrylic being better than Macralon. Macralon is virtually unbreakable. I have carried a 4 x 10 x 1/4" thick piece over my head and it formed about a 2 foot radius flapping around like a wet noodle without cracking or crazing. Try that with Acrylic.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console