22 Chris Craft Dory

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Morning Wood

22 Chris Craft Dory

Post by Morning Wood »

Hey Guys. Been looking for a 22 Chris Craft Dory. Didn't know if you guys might have any leads on one. Don't mind a project boat. They are notorious for soft decks anyway. Also there is a knockoff of that boat built by Marc O customs. The company built sailboats but also built the Atlantic City Skiff. A rare bird but in my opinion a better boat. Thanks.
Bertramp

Re: 22 Chris Craft Dory

Post by Bertramp »

isn't the Captiva pretty much the same boat too ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Yes very similar. I looked at them as well. The boat has a hump in the front deck that is spoils the lines. Just could not get past it.
mpcrnc

Post by mpcrnc »

I have a 1965 Chris Craft dory that I would probably sell. It is a wooden dory with a new fiberglass bottom and restored interior. The work was professionally done by Joe Reid at Mast and Mallet boats. Call me 703-524-9033 for details or if you want to see it. Boat is just south of Annapolis. Mike Cassidy
algillen

Post by algillen »

Your timing is unfortunate... There was one on Craigslist in north/central NJ for months... basically almost free... something like $2K including a ratty trailer. It needed work, motor was gone, but had potential, looked pretty complete otherwise. I just checked for you and appears it is now gone. Project boats seem to come up fairly regularly, keep your eye open, post-Sandy there should be one or two.

I owned one (the cuddy model) years ago, had tons of fun on a small budget. Used to fish it up to 30 miles off, took it from NJ to Martha's Vineyard and back. All good stuff.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

One of the salesman from Integrity Marine has 2 or three of the Dorys including the cuddy Mark-O version. You can contact him thru the office 609.487.9700 and his name is Bill Hauck. The boats are at his home on Rt. 9 in Tuckerton, NJ, just up the street from Viking plant. I spent a couple of hours this week teaching him the technique of patterning interiors with strips of door skin and a hot glue gun. He is re-doing one and probably willing to part with another. He has some of the original brochures for the boats, and some interesting pictures. I remember watching the Mark-O guys back in the 7o's when they were mostly engaged in Plug and Mold building. They had some reel Talent. Watching from inception and lofting to the finished plug was something. I still remember the 2 man LONG BOARD Manual Sander. That was quite a workout.. The owners were Bob O'donell, Cortez and Curt Marks. They were crushed like a bug in the 1980-81 recession with the 18 1/2 % prime rate and just about lost everything they had. Tom Oakes Holtz Boatworks

A Proud American doing his part
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Thanks guys for all your help. I spoke with Bill the other day. He is repowering one as we speak.
mpcrnc. Thanks but I had my heart set on a glass one. I plan to get a little utilitarian with it.
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

Hey wood
I Know you've been looking for a while
I picked one up this spring on long island

I saw one last week on craigslist in eastern Ct
I think in new london
pic looks pretty good
$5000 with trailer
not a bad price
Good luck
Fred
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

Hey wood
I looked up the listing
Call Shane #860-710-6422
Good luck
Fred

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/3449133334.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Thanks Fred. I will give him a call.
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

I see a good looking dory w/trailer on the Jan 3rd boston craigslist
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Thankyou Fred.