1st One from SANDY

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

1st One from SANDY

Post by Fishin Tom »

The first 31 Bertram will be running down the coast of NJ to HOLTZ Boatworks today. A basketball size hole in the hull under the registration #'s. A quick patch of PVC plastic, some double sided insulation tape, 30 self-taping screws and some gorilla tape around the edges will make this tough old rig seaworthy for the trip.

As a survivor of the direct hits of Hurricanes Jeanne, Frances, and Wilma I thought the damage in Florida was bad. Let me tell you all, New Jersey is a war zone. Over 100 miles of unabelievable damage, homes wrecked and condemned, boats scattered over miles of marsh, streets, piled like cord wood for the winter fires. Anything you can do for the people of New Jersey, Staten Island, Long Island will be helpful.

Ya know the news gives you pictures and words for a few days and a couple of weeks, but the travesty goes on and on for months, and will go on for years. The visual tour gives you the sights, sounds and smell of this horific event. I went up and delivered a truck full of "Stuff" when I went to the Highlands which has more than 1200 condemned homes. The village only has 1500 homes, don't forget the businesses there too.

We in Southern New Jersey don't have any idea just how lucky we were. The storm hit 3 hours before the high tide, on the moon and spared us. Had the arrival prediction of Midnite landfall happened we would have had an additional 3+ ft of water....GAME OVER.

Thanks to all for your support of the site, and all the boating community featuring the great 31 Bertram.

Tom Oakes, Holtz Boatworks
Marmora, NJ USA

"A proud American doing his part"
Fishin Tom

Re: 1st One from SANDY

Post by Fishin Tom »

The 31 Bertram "Goldfish" from Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina left at 10:15 am on Friday and was in the slings at Holtz by 3:15 pm. An uneventful ride, A to B without incident, and the hole patch held up perfectly. Boat ran great at about 23.5 knots in 2-3 ft seas on the nose. Yanmars purred like a kitten and sipped fuel.

The boat will move to one of the shops for the begining of the repairs and refinishing. We are looking forward to undertaking this project for Dr. Ron Gold, and will post some pictures soon.

Tom Oakes
Holtz Boatworks

A proud American doing his part.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looking forward to seeing the progress
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I like pictures of Bertrams like a fat kid likes cake! Bring em on!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tom, was that Jeff Gold's boat?
Harv
Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

That's right it is Jeff Golds "Goldfish". Currently in our building getting stripped down and prepped for the repair phase of the project. The interior impacted area is actually 3x larger than the outside visible damage.

Our patched hull worked perfectly, it was bone dry when removed and will save us significant time in the drying process. Tom
Jamie MacKenzie

Post by Jamie MacKenzie »

Tom:

You sent some of my chrome out to a place in NJ. Can you give me their info? I want to replate the motor box hinges.

Thanks,

Jamie MacKenzie
917-270-6322
Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

Jamie_

The plater I use is American Electroplating and Chroming 973.427.2300. I think they are in Bellville, or Newark, NJ area. Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Fishin Tom wrote:Jamie_

The plater I use is American Electroplating and Chroming 973.427.2300. I think they are in Bellville, or Newark, NJ area. Tom

They are in Hawthorne. The former owner is or was a neighbor of Charlie Haws.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315