Fuel tank size

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rick Kral

Fuel tank size

Post by Rick Kral »

I am in the final stages of replacing the deck and fuel tank on my 1982 31. The original tank was 222 gal. I just priced out and sized a new aluminum tank. The new tank capacity is 254 gals. I am concerned about the weight difference. I know the original fiberglass tank was heavy when I removed it but I don't know the actual weight. The aluminium tank is much lighter but the additional fuel capacity alone will add about 250lbs (when full). The boat will be equipped with twin deisel power about 1300 lbs each and a Nextgen generator. I thought I had read some where that there was another diesel boat with this level of fuel capacity but the owner stated if they could have done it again they would not have put this much fuel capacity in the boat. I believe the reason was that the boat sat low in the water at the dock. The thread was on the site a while back. I was not able to find the thread but I was hoping for some new thoughts.
Rick
Charlie J

Re: Fuel tank size

Post by Charlie J »

rick
what was wrong with the old tank, ethenol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

More fuel is better if you are going to make the run to the trench. 220 or 254 is not that much of a change. I have 180 + two 55 gal saddle tanks. I put 10 flats of butter fish on each side plus 4 five gal pales of spearing in the shaft lockers. Thats 250# butterfish and 160# of spearing =410# of bait in the back. She sits low but not that bad.
Rick Kral

Post by Rick Kral »

The boat was originally gas powered and only recently converted to deisel. The work on the conversion was not to standard i.e. small shafts, gas exhaust with bypass ports, poor job sistering engine beds, poorly fabricated mounts etc. I do not know the history of the boat as I bought it through a dealer that took the unit on a trade and wanted to get rid of her. There was alot of "stuff" in the original racors. I was taking up the deck as it was rotted in places. No sense being all the way in and not taking advantage of the situation. I do not want to take the chance. The new tank will cost me about $2,500.00 but that is not a bad long term insurance policy.

Brewster - My thoughts the same but I wanted to be sure that in this case more wasn't better. I may have mis read the original thread but I wanted to ask before sending a deposit on the tank. I have 3 young boys and although I havent been to the edge in several years (becuase I have 3 young boys). I am hopeful to get back out there soon.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rick, I originally went with a stainless 250 gallon tank, after fitting the deck I realized the manufacturer did not include the fill neck in his dimensions, couldnt use it, went with a 230 gallon fiberglass, and two 35 gallon saddles up forward. Should give me plenty of range without bladders. The stainless tank is available to any Bertram brother that can make use of it, has been coal tar epoxied ready to go. Make an offer.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Bob, I was wondering since I also have a Bahia Mar, are those saddle tanks sitting on the deck under the helm seats? If so, do you have the original aluminum framed seats? I have been thinking of doing the same thing, just incase I can't get non ethenol fuel in the future. I don't want to even think of tearing up my teak deck to change the tank. Any information on your saddle tanks would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Brewster, I see that you too have a Bahia Mar. Any information as requested in my previous post about your saddle tanks would be much appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Brewster Minton

Mine are under the deck. Infront of the engine compartments. The guy who made the was mad that I wanted more than 40 gals. I held out and I love them. I get 45 in snotty waves and 48 in calm. I run to the trench on the main tank then I can troll for 45- 49 hours on the sadles. To get to Atlantis takes 65-70 gals and if I troll to Vech I still have 100+ to run home on plane. I have no Gen. I leave the engines running at nite. That far from the barn I do not shut them down. I am not like many. You might chose to do otherwise. Thats cool. You need to look at your needs.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

More is better. You don't have to fill it to the top unless you're heading way out.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Mike is right. Just top off when you go long, You burn it off on the way.
Rick Kral

Post by Rick Kral »

Thank you all for the input.

Bob - send me the specs on your 250. i have not put my deposit down yet.

Rick
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rick, I put my saddles in front of engine bulkhead, custom fiberglass, made by Fiberglass Specilaties in Rochester Mass, Ive enclosed a pic of saddle and big insulated forward kill box and the SS tank I will get the measurements for you this weekend. BH

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?