The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Great site! I currently do not own a Bertram 31 or a Bertram for that matter... However I was born and raised on the gulf coast of Florida, and aside from Shamrocks and Boca Grandes, my father and I found a redid a 31 in my late teens with a local marina. I personally put near 1000 hours on the hull between Sarasota, the Keys and SE Florida where she ended docked for half the year where I lived on it in my early 20's :) as a SE Florida Police Officer.

I am now in my late 30's, my wife and I have our first child due in a few weeks and I took a new job this past year in western Puerto Rico (gringo Florida boy in Puerto Rico!!). We currently own an 05 Parker 2320 that I bought new and have fished hard!!!! After considerable deliberation (love the Parker) time to get something a bit larger and diesel. I have decided that next August I will be buying a 31 Bertram and driving her down to the rock (the gringo office name for PR).

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to introduce myself, chances are that I will buy a boat that has been on this board, and while I am not an expert on the boat, I have a lot of time running and working on one. Can't wait to join the ranks and start my new boy's life off on a real boat!!!!

- Tavis
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: New Member

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tavis,

Again, welcome aboard!

You'll find plenty of B31 company in PR, and one of our senior members should be on your short list of who to know: David "Hueso" Fernandez

Br,

Patrick
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Thanks for saying hi. I will certainly give "Hueso" a shout. We are up in the states for some training over the next few months. But when we get back to PR, I will have to start looking at some of the 31's down there.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

There are several in the V.I. St. John and Tortola for sure. Not sure any are for sale but worth the search.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Welcome aboard Tavis

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Welcome aboard Tavis, once you got Bertram in your blood its there for good...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome aboard!

Congratulations on your 1st child.

Parker is a nice ride, bumping up to a 31 Bertram with diesel will be a change for the good. Although, alot more up keep on our vintage boats...it's all good.

Again welcome.
Carl
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Tavis:

"Bienvenido!". The B31 is the perfect boat for the West side of Puerto Rico. Soon you will learn about Mona passage and Mona Island. Certainly, you may find a good diesel B31 down here. Prices range from $150K to $80K. Usually with yannies 240 or 315's. My Email: abogadopr@hotmail.com Do not hesitate to contact me.

Any questions, Capt. Pat is "the man" regarding 31's.

David
aka Hueso
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Hello Tavis welcome aboard I'm a new comer to.

Sounds like an exciting job.

Parker's are popular on the west coast but love the 31-B hope you find a great one and bond with your child can't think of a better way.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Gents,

Thanks for the great welcome!!! Some of the best memories I have are with my father on our B31. Also some of the worst rebuilding that step and hatch between the engine boxes!!!!

This is going to be a fun process, new Child, home and boat!!! I won't be back to PR until December, but I will certainly do my best to meet up with the form members down there. We are currently in Charleston, SC. Anybody in the area here I can buy a beer for some weekend over the next 5 weeks?

- Tavis
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bradley Tiller is about 60 miles up the road in Georgetown...

Bill Mckinnon is in Charleston...
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

I'm always thirsty, come up to Georgetown and I'll show you my recently deconstructed 31, reconstruction is soon to be under way.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Thanks for the heads up on local gents!

I am going to try and find some old pics of my father's B31 and get them up. Quick question for you guys, we put new 6bta's in her during the project, forget the hp rating. They were great engines, only issue was a blown turbo charger seal on the stb engine during a run to Key West one dark and stormy night (good story that involves big seas and vomit). So far seen cummins, yanmar, and some volvos in my initial searches. I don't want to start a war, but any insight to the good and bad of each setup?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tavis, the general consensus is that the Yanmar users and the Cummins users are both very happy with their brands. One of the deciding factors when making the decision is the issue of local support (is there a reputable service/parts provider for the brand convenient to your specific location).