trans cooler

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

opunui

trans cooler

Post by opunui »

lost my trans cooler this weekend. velvet glide 72G. is there a way to flush with out taking out. i tried looking for the drain couldnt find it. it was dark.

Aloha,
Bobby
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: trans cooler

Post by Bruce »

Tube down the fill and pump it out and you'll need to flush 3, 4x.
Your still gonna have a good chance that the fiber clutch discs swell slightly from the moisture and the shaft friction spins in neutral.
opunui

Post by opunui »

Bruce when i first noticed it,i cooled the tranny housing down with my salt water wash down pump.then i noticed the milky oil in the case and the level low. i lost all functions of the tranny.I then shut motor down filled with 30 weight oil and got back to port. the tranny worked normal.so you think my friction plates might still be toast. thanks

Bobby
------------------------
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Its a crap shoot. Out of the hundreds of 71, 72 and 73 series gears I've flushed from bad coolers, 50% were fine afterwards, 40% had friction drive in neutral which in and of itself can be no big deal, and 10% needed rebuilding.

Getting the moisture laden oil out and flushed till it runs clear is important asap. Doing it at the dock won't cut it. The fwd and reverse piston housings have to be flushed and the gear needs to be hot to help burn off the moisture.

Flush first and then determine if you have issues.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Several years ago I had the same problem with a 1:1 Velvet drive in my Shamrock.

I flushed the transmission and changed oil several times.

Shortly after the mishap the front seal went out completely.

I removed the transmission for repair and when I took it apart I found a good bit of Water/Oil hiding behind the reverse piston.

BTW.....if the shaft is pitted where the front seal rides a repair that you may consider is to have the seal area undercut about .015" then overlayed with 316 ss and machined back to size.

hb
hb
opunui

Post by opunui »

Thanks Bruce and Harry. I got in to port and put it on the trailer.yesterday took out trans cooler and will hydro today after work. what psi should i hydro to?. if the hydro is sat where could the water have entered. my bilges are dry as i keep her on the trailer and tow her.

Thanks for all your help.
Aloha,
------------------------
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bobby
I think that you can pressure test up to 50 Lbs or so. Surely if there is a leak it will show up by the time you hit 50 PSI.

The cooler is the only place I can think of that will introduce water into the tranny. The only other opening to the outside is the breather button on the top of the gear.....I cannot see how water could enter at that point.

It just about has to be the cooler.

hb
hb
opunui

Post by opunui »

Harry thanks..I hydroed it to 30psi with air and sure enough the cooler is bad.replacing with new as we speak. was just getting alittle nervous when i tried with the garden hose and found no leak.

Aloha,
Bobby
------------------------
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I had the very same thing happen Saturday. I pulled the stick after I returned from a run and found pepto pink. I drained it by disconnecting the cooler from the hoses and using my own breath/pressure, blowing out the pink crap. I then poured in clean fluid and "rinse and repeat" until no more pink crap and the fluid looked normal. Took me about 4 hours. I got my new cooler last night in the mail. I will plan to hook in in Saturday and run and continue to rinse and repeat. Fingers crossed.