"Cures and Prevents Ethanol Fuel Problems"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Josh Johnson

"Cures and Prevents Ethanol Fuel Problems"

Post by Josh Johnson »

That's the header on a full-page ad for Starbrite Star*Tron enzyme fuel treatment on page 64 of the July issue of 'Road&Track' magazine. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of it. Is this a glimmer of hope, or just the same old hype?

I'm awfully sorry about Uncle Vic and humbly extend my sympathy to his families--this one and his real one. I too already miss his incisive stand and perspective on things political and mechanical, and his abundant knowledge on things Bertram and human. I'm honored and humbled to be a minor part of all this.

Josh
Josh
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I don't believe it! Stops it from dissolving fiberglass fuel tanks, eroding gaskets, fuel and vent lines? All this MIGHT do is slow down separation. If their claims were close to true, there would be stories galore in all the boating books, NOT Road & Track. What problems do they claim to cure? Snake oil in my humble opinion. By the way, Mercruiser's answer to my question (after a $14,000 bill) on the status of my warrantee if the government mandates E-15 was "all bets are off". Sorta tells you something doesn't it.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Walter: What happened? Was that the 20 that you had repowered?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

New engine, new outdrive, new fuel tank, fuel and vent lines etc. on my 20. Then when you start taking things apart, you discover things you had better address, plus a few surprises like none of your old gauges will work on the new engine etc.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The only way an additive could cure the alcohol damage would be to somehow replace the alcohol which is an excellent solvent.
Like Walter said it may extend the go bad date slightly.

There is no such thing as a cure all for ethanol damage on products for which alcohol is not the primary fuel source.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Josh,
For Road and Track it does eliminate a good deal of the problems...at least if it does what it claims to do. Also assuming the vehicles have gaskets and other components ready for alcohol. Pretty much all Cars and Trucks need to address is a fuel stabilizer, water and phase separation and that crud that gets dissolved. Star-tron is supposed to do that by eating up the crap and turding out burnable particles...does it??? I know some who say it works ...other said it didn't. Figure if using as a stabilizer it's fine and any benefits are a plus.

In the boats with fiberglass fuel tanks where the tank gets dissolved by the Alcohol...it doesn't do a thing to address that. Road and Track and a majority of the boats do not have glass tanks so not an issue for most.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I work for a specialty chemical company - - as you all know, tax geek, not chemist. We have a myriad of products, including various resins, urethanes, anti-oxidents, and 100 other things such as pool chemicals. and "The Works." We private label a lot of lubricants and synthetic oils.

Long story short, I showed the article to our head chemist in our Urethanes business as Uwe is a workout buddy. His response "that's crap." Got to love Gernman scientists -- right to the point!

Tom