Cummins Guages/Circut Board Installation Help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brian Y

Cummins Guages/Circut Board Installation Help

Post by Brian Y »

To the Faithful,

Ok, So I have managed to find some older threads that discuss problems people have had with the Cummins circut boards, and the concerns of keeping them dry. I am about to begin the process of installing these guages and wiring harnesses and I was hoping to get some advise, before I make a huge mistake.

First off, I have installed one of Capt. Pat's helm bubbles, and have routered a space for a guage panel and bezel. Next, I will need to lengthen all the wires on the harnesses, and find a place to mount the circut boards. I have seperated the guages, and have made some panels for the "dummy lights," which will be mounted on either side of the bubble. I was thinking that I may be able to build some sort of dry-box to hold the panells, and could just drill holes for wires. Any suggestions, pictures or advise is much apreciated. Thanks!
Brian Y

Bridge Lay-out Picture

Post by Brian Y »

Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Brian, The key to your dash is real estate, we never have enough space..JP came up to help me lay out my helm and had a slick idea for the idiot lights..he had me hold up the cummins gauges and you can see a red light in each gauge..take the idiot light that corresponds with that gauge and hot glue the light into the back..that just gained you 4" x 2"and gives you a clean look..Im going to hide cummins c boards inside the helm to keep em good n dry..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You don't need bilge pump switches on the helm get rid of them. They are exposed to the elements and will deteriorate. You DO need bilge indicator lights of course they are much smaller then the entire switch assembly. You are better off with clean space then space filled with shit that will eventually rot. You can put the indicator lights in your bezel, three pin head LEDs is all it takes. 1/8" hole and 2 wires done

Think about using a RAM mic and hiding the VHF they are full function and generally weather proof enough for a B31. Whalla you have more space at very little cost. Probably enough for another gps monitor....ok never mind you didn't save any money. But you'll be happier

Boats coming along nice...
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Brian Y

Post by Brian Y »

Thanks Guys!

This gives me a lot to think about. I haven't drilled any holes, or cut for the templates, yet. I did make some nice looking routered mounting plates out of black 1/4" PCB board, and I cut the dummy light panels out of the stock Cummins panel so I would still have the little pictures. The lights just pop out, and I am going to look at gluing them to the guages. Unfortunately, I didn't make my guage panel big enough for anything more than seven instruments... I may be able to fit the LED's in there, but it will be tight. I think I would still need a place for manual bilge switches, and I haven't figured that-out, yet. I found some water-proof boxes, at Radio Shack, for the Cummins C-boards, and I will mount them inside, and drill some holes for the wires. The wiring is on the back-burner, for now... It gives me a headache, just looking at them, and they all need to be about two feet longer. My VHF is not sophisticated, enough for an add-on microphone. I may look at upgrading, although this is another unforeseen expense, and need to find a way to stop the hem riging of $$$.

Thanks for the advise.

Much apreciated!

Brian
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mount them under the pod, facing downward. Or inside the console. Mine are still in the cabin. I agree that there is not much need for them on the bridge unless all of the float switches quit.

You can mount the warning light in the pod directly ahead of the dash panel area. I don't know why it would need to be in with the gauges and you will see it when you are steering better if it is ahead of you. and higher than the other items.

I only have one larger warning light for the aft bilge pump since that is the one that runs when you are underway.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I'm with Rawleigh if you have to mount them in the bridge then under console. Mine are in the cabin with lights in bridge. Don't know why you would need them up there but under bubble. If you move the switches and lights like stated by JP. Then it would leave you the choice to add a second screen later. I have a 8" garmin on my right side and a 6" furuno on my left side. Thinking about making flat sides like yours and change both units later. My .02
The dash looks great so far.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Brian Y

Post by Brian Y »

Thanks for the thoughts and input, Guys. I have a new design in mind, now. I am going to move the bilge-pump panel under the dash and flush-mount to the out-board port-side, so that it can be seen and accessed, when the door is open.

I think that I am goning to leave the dummy lights as they are, for a few reasons... The panels that I made are nice-looking, and i have more lights than guages. I will not be installing the volt-guages, and will use the ones that are included in the new circut-breaker panel, wich is located directly below the helm-bubble in a custom cabinet. I don't like the idea of having the lights directly in front of my line of sight. The re-set buttons will be mounted under the aft-lip of the bubble, along with the ingnition switches, and start buttons. I am also going to shop for a new VHF, today, and see about installing a remote Mic. I just need to be sure that It is loud enough, without an additional speaker, as I have no curtains, and I need to hear it in the wind.

This all will free-up some room for future electronics, like auto-pilot control, and possibly a Furuno back-up GPS or simply an RD-30. I'm not likely to drop another 4G's on another chartplotter, anytime soon....

As far as mounting switches in the salon/cabin: I am still brainstorming on this one. I don't have any hollow spaces or partitions on this boat, and can't see where to mount switches or run wires. The interior is all painted fiberglass panels, with varnished teak trim. I guess I could mount a control switch in the head-liner, but it is made of thin fiberglass panels as well, and is nice and clean as it is. I would love to see a picture of someones cabin switches, so I would know what I am missing.

Thanks!

Brian