Hynautic Steering Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Wingnut

Hynautic Steering Question

Post by Wingnut »

Gents,

This spring I splashed the B28 and she didn't want to steer to port. (much)

I checked the pressure gauge and it was down maybe 5 lbs so I pumped it back up and found a small leak at one of the fittings on the helm just from being a bit loose. I tightened that and bled the system according to Bruce's simplified directions, circa 2004! (Thank you!) Still no joy.

She does turn port and starboard but would certainly not steer on one engine as normal (B31 Rudders). Next I pulled the cylinder and sure enough the the piston is smooth but does not have full travel. I get a hard stop with about 3" to go. What causes this? Anything to check before I simply send it out for a rebuild?

Thanks,

JD
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The first thing that comes to mind is whether one of the rudders or rudder arms is hitting something causing the hard stop. Disconnect the rudders from the steering system and manually see if both move the same amount to port and starboard without being connected to each other. Before reconnecting the rudders to the piston /arms, turn your wheel hard to port and starboard and see if the arm fully extends and retracts. I think you're hitting something either inside or outside of the boat. Do all this with somebody so you can look at the components moving while someone turns the wheel at your instructions.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If I read correctly the Cylinder is not connected to anything and you have a hard stop?

Did you bleed the cylinder? Was bleed fitting end of cylinder positioned high enough to allow air to travel to that end and allow to escape?
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Gents,

Yes, I've removed the cylinder and something internally is preventing full travel. I sent it off to Southern Charm today.

I have full and easy travel to the rudders / linkage by hand. Surprisingly easy!

Thanks,

JD
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Just wanted to provide an update...

The steering cylinder was bad for certain. I sent the offending part to Southern Charm on Monday via FEDEX, called them Wednesday, and it was done! They told me it had quite a bit of internal corrosion despite the fact it looked fine on the outside.

I got it back and installed on Saturday... What a difference in steering forces! I purged as much of the old fluid as I could and replaced with the Mil Spec 5606 that many here recommended, bled the system which was a snap using Bruce's simplified method and all was well.

I'm guessing someone may have filled the system with ATF at some point. If you have a balky system, particularly cold, try changing the fluid with the lighter Mil Spec stuff. It really is much nicer now.

Have a great week!

JD
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I think i missed Bruce's simplified method-please advise
Tom

Post by Tom »

http://www.bertram31.com/bb/bbs.cgi?noframes;read=59403

Hopefully that works. If not do a site search for Hynautic bleed, circa 2004. -Tom
Viva la Presidente!
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Thanks Tom, those are the directions I used and there were no problems.

JD