Painting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Painting

Post by Capt.Frank »

I am asking for help. I last painted my hull in 99 awlgrip. I just sanded the hull down with 320 this time instead of 220 looking for a better finish. Is this ok or should I rough it up more with 220? The plan is to roll and tip in the morning weather looks perfect no wind. The color is blue and not sure if I have enough blue. I have been told that, I can mix white which I have plent of with the blue to strech it out. My plan is to do the sides first and if I run out to finish on tuesday morning. But the yard is dead on sunday so thats the day I prefer no movement of vehicles. Should I just wait?
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Marlin

Painting

Post by Marlin »

I'd stick to the 320 , 220 will leave u with a less shinny finish,I generally sand prior to the final prime coat with220 then scuff the primer with 320 , if u are becoming a chemist, I would carefully measure the ratios of the colors and write that special formula down, u know you will have to make repairs sooner or later,I have actually sprayed,fogged in Awlgrip to make inconspicuous patch repairs,tough to do with a brush
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Well had plenty of paint but it did not lay down as good as its done for me in the past. Lots of roller marks even though I tipped it. But it looks good from 10'. I painted my hard top last summer and it came out great real smooth. but not this time. Not sure what happened?
Thanks Marlin didn't have to play chemist.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

What is the difference in conditions from the last paint job and this paint job.....Temp, Humidity etc.

When I painted my hull sides the port side dried much faster due to the sun than did the stbd side.......the stbd side dried much slower and looks better.

hb
hb
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I know little about anything. Painting boats is an art. Not to be done by just anybody.
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Probably not enough brushing reducer. The stuff evaporates while you are applying the paint. So if it pulls or drags you need to add more. It is an art or lots of practice with it. That don't come cheap with AWLGRIP. 2 coat minimum as well for the best results.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I think it was alot cooler this time. Last time hot june day. Isn't there a problem with too much reducer making it run more? Last time it was horizontal and this was vertical? Only one coat maybe next year redo it.

I though about sanding w/500, 1000, 1500 and try polishing like Gert stated but ready to start fishing.

I will try agian painting the engine boxes and wings. wish me luck.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt.Frank wrote: I though about sanding w/500, 1000, 1500 and try polishing like Gert stated but ready to start fishing.
I like it...somebody else who thinks like me. Once its time to start fishin' and boatin', its time to put her back together and go.....
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Image[/img]Image
What ya think looks prety good.

The paint job looks great from 10'. Maybe try buffing it some next year or repaint. But the topside will be first this summer.
Time to burn some diesel and bloody the deck.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Frank..........she looks great to me......getter wet! ! ! !

hb
hb
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thanks Harry, but there are roller marks all over. That picture is 2 weeks old. She is floating clean and ready to use this weekend.
1976 FBC
3208 NA