First Canyon Trip of 2012

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

First Canyon Trip of 2012

Post by CHolgerson »

I had a great opportunity to fish on the Canyon Runner with some of my regular crew members of the Desire this weekend. We left manasquan at 4am on saturday and made the 110nm run to the north side of the wilmington. We started working our way down the shelf and quickly put the first yellowfin in the boat. We worked all the way down to the baltimore canyon catching 3 more yellowfin and eventually set up for the night on the southside of the baltimore. We caught and released a bunch of blue sharks and eventually stuck a flying gaff into a nice 150lb mako. Up on the troll in the morning we headed north to the baltimore and eventually in the deep we went 3 for 4 on bigeye, pulling the hook on one right behind the boat. We had 2 other explosions on the spreader bars but the fish hit the wings of the bars and never came tight. The yellowfin dressed in the 30-40lb range and the bigeyes dressed 75-90lbs, nice short fat fish. Awesome trip on an awesome boat with an incredible captain and mate. Believe the hype Mark Deblasio and Dean are world class fisherman.

Regards,
Chris Holgerson
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sounds like a good trip and a good time.

I read the fishing report on Nor East this morning, your trip I presume. Followed up by two emails.

They said you went 3 for 5 on big eyes, either you had a nice nap and missed one or it's just the standard fish story, that's well within the margain of error. With all this information technology it's not as easy to pass around fishing stories these days.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Peter,

If you count the 2 explosions on the bars you can consider that 3 for 6. I guess you havent fished with me before, I don't nap. I will post pictures as soon as possible to prove this was not a " fish story".

Chris
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I was just kidding Chris, pictures are always good.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

No problem Peter, I didn't know you were joking. I got in early this morning and am more tired than usual. I probably took your response too seriously.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

That's fantastic Chris I could never put those species together on one trip.when my non predictable crew goes out for big eye in the deep we stay there.we go right past warm water eddies to get to deep and miss out on any yellowfin,long fin, albacore . I guess with the price of fuel I will make shorter trips and possibly target yellowfin.again well done .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Bob, where you fish it is not necessary to target either yellowfin/ albacore or bigeye. You can definitely fish for both on one trip. There are several areas around the hudson and dip that are notorious bigeye areas that consistently produce yellowfin and albacore and are on or well within trolling range of the 100 line, where we would typically target yellowfin and albacore. When my dad's boat was on long island we would typically work the tip of the hudson then pound the bombs area and work our way up the west wall to the 150/050 area. We would usually overnight in the 150/050 or cross over to the 100 square. All of those areas of the hudson are great spots for catching yellowfin, albacore and bigeyes.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Chris, Must be a great feeling to get the dust off the fishing gear and get out there and drag a few over the side...bigeye hit the bars mostly?? Canyon Runner bars? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

We had all of our hits on canyon runner rainbow green machine bars and skirted ballyhoo.

On a different note the 48' viking was powered with Cummins QSM11 diesels with 8500 hours. The boat ran great at 25-26 knots with zero smoke and they said the motors have been very reliable and trouble free.
CHolgerson

here they are

Post by CHolgerson »

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

CHolgerson wrote:We had all of our hits on canyon runner rainbow green machine bars and skirted ballyhoo.

On a different note the 48' viking was powered with Cummins QSM11 diesels with 8500 hours. The boat ran great at 25-26 knots with zero smoke and they said the motors have been very reliable and trouble free.
Chris

Is that the boat they repowered? I believe they did it in 2007 or possibly 2008. I remember passing by and seeing them ripping it apart. If that is the boat, I believe they picked up quite a bit of speed and drastically cut fuel consumption.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Chris is the best mate you could ever carry. He never sleeps. He runs the lures were you show him. After a knockdown every lure is back in its spot. He shaggs weed all day and chunks better than anyone. The only guy I can leave at the helm and sleep. You can never do better. And he is a nice guy to be with.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Chris,

To be very clear I read the noreast reports with my morning coffee in season, I also am on the Canyon runner email distribution list. So I woke up read about your fishing trip on nor east, then got two canyon runner emails and then read your post about the trip.

I only meant in a joking way how fast good news travels and busting chops about the misses, generally fisherman like to expand how many they caught not how many they missed. It didn't come across that way.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

No problem Peter. I completely understand. Just a simple miscommunication due to the written word. I never considered fish that hit trolled baits and miss the hook to be lost or dropped fish.