Mansley Transmitter by Ray Jefferson

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Mansley Transmitter by Ray Jefferson

Post by JP Dalik »

Can anyone tell me what this is.

Looking through some old WWII documents from a recondition of my wifes grandparents 50' Hubert Johnson and noticed this device cost half as much the entire recondition back in 1944 when the boat was returned from service.

It was listed as missing from original inventory, pretty cool piece of paper.. keeping it with the old boat pictures.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I think mansley radio Corp was the original name and about a year or two later changed it's name to Ray Jeff. Located in Nassau county NY.

Could have been a military grade RDF which may have sold for 2500 at the time or some type of broadcast radio.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

It was a AM marine band (2182 KHz) transceiver. I had a similar one on my 1947 45' Hickock. The high voltage to run the transmiter tubes was generated by a dynamotor - which is a motor driven generator. Mine used 24 volts to drive the motor which in turn spun a high voltage generator. Back then, before transsistors, etc, it was very difficult to "step up" DC voltage. The dynamotor put out about 800 volts as I recall....when you hit the mike button the dynamotor wound up like a jet engine spooling up...took about 5 seconds for it to peak out and peg the meter before you could talk. I sold the boat some 30 years ago and the same guy still has it - in the same slip at the Tickfaw Marina - and bet that old radio is still there as it was very nicely built into some mahogany cabnet work. I built a Heathkit AM marine band radio which is what I used mostly until VHF came along. The old AM band was outlawed due to the extreme amount of bandwidth it used. It was replaced for long range use by SSB - Single Side Band - which has a much narrower "footprint".

And now you know......

Had a very relaxing time at the camp for 9 days, did nothing remarkable, which was the whole idea.....

UV
Peter

Post by Peter »

Well Holly Smokes... UV you schooled us again. Where did you get so much info on radios? You must'a been a geek b'for it was kool!

Seriously... your radio knowledge is deep!

Hats off to you Sir!
In Memory of Vicroy

I built my first crystal radio receiver when I was 6. I entered my home made spark gap transmitter in a jr. hi science fair the year Sputnick was launched and got disqualified because my transmitter had such a wide bandwitch (like it took up the entire radio sprctrum) it jammed some fat kid's Sputnik receiver. I've always fooled with electronics, which is pretty simple once you grasp the basics. Nowdays with the printed circuits and multi-function IC chips you can't work on anything, just junk it when it quits.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Heathkit was a favorite of mine as a kid, still have a few things I built and they are still going strong unlike most of the crap built today.
In Memory of Vicroy

Heathkits did more for me learning elecronics than anything else, and especially good soldering techniques. Do you know if they still make them? Most of the VHF radios made today are so flimsy its a miracle they work for a week offshore. The older Icom 125, 126, & 127s are built like a brick s**thouse tho, and I see them on ebay now and then for short money. I have a 125 and a 126, both of which can be tweaked up to 55 watts with the turn of a screwdriver. They are built on a very heavy aluminum chassis vs. the plastic crap you see now.

I have an Icom 802 SSB on my B31 which is probably 8 or 10 years old and still sort of the "cutting edge" of marine sidebands. The problem with it is its so complex you really can't operate it without the manual in hand - too many multi-function buttons that have to be pushed in a certain sequence to do even the simple things like adjust the squelch. Needs more single function knobs & buttons like their older VHFs. But it will light up the sky with 150 watts PEP and with their 140 automatic antenna tuner you can tune up a coat hanger......

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

JP, I searched hi n low no luck...Uncle Vic is the fountain of knowledge on old classic things...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

This post by uncle Vic had me. Thinking there is a old geezer whom repairs tube type corvette radio's .he has a shop in Ga. Will not answer the phone after 4pm and no calls on weekends. A real grumpy prick takes bank check only.he is the only guy doing it and charges $595.00 to repair even if one resistor or tube is bad.he usually answer the phone with " I am too busy call next month". How hard could it be to repair wonder bar AM radio vintage 1959?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vic: I have a 125 with the handset mike that i love. How do you turn it up?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

I'd have to get the schmatic out, but its a variable pot in the output stage that "throttles" the output power. You need to have a wattmeter in the antenna circuit to do it right.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not hard at all Bob.

But when your the only one or one of a couple, you have the world by the balls.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'd love to try it Vic, if you can find it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

I'm pretty sure I have the manual at the boat and it has the schematic. As I recall you will need an all-plastic screwdriver to turn the pot, and it may be a square screw head like a deck screw, but you would have to look.

It will be a couple of weeks before I get back over to the camp. You might look online and see if the 125 manual is on the Icom site.

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Thanks UV I couldn't figure it out.
Nothing on the boat cost more than 300 bucks and that included overhauling the engines and new risers. Then I go down the list and find this transmitter at close to 500.00

Really cool thanks guys.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"