Grammys

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Grammys

Post by Harry Babb »

Anybody watching the Grammys

Beach Boys singing Good Vibrations.......

Love it

hb
hb
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That was pretty cool to see them. Paul not so much.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I have to respectfully disagree Harry.
Having opened for the Beach Boys at Sunfest I got to meet them up close and after playing their songs since a teenager there's a time and place for entertainers to fade to black.
Like New Years and Dick Clark and Kirk Douglas and it seems the parade of geezers on the Grammys tonight, it's painful to watch these people.

About the only entertainer with years on them that can still cut the mustard was Tony Bennett. Boy that guy still has a set of pipes.

The rest need to be put to pasture.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

The real shame was the two groups that opened for them can't sing. I can't beleive people call themselves vocal artists.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
randall

Post by randall »

mike love was my landlord in santa barbara. he sent his lawyer over to evict me because "mike doesn't want any hippy surfers living on his property". beach boys is just a band name.....total phonies in that regard...NOT A FAN!

BTW....never missed a rent payment and kept the property like i owned it.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

In the dim past me & the Bride took our two kids to DC for the 4th of July week, one of the highlights of which was to watch the Beach Boys perform at the Washington Monument on the night of the 4th with the fireworks......we y'all may remember Nancy Regan hated the Beach Boys and made the park service can them and get Wayne Newton instead. Me & the Bride wouldn't give a plugged nickel for Wayen Newton but we dragged the kids down to the park just the same.....as we are rounding the last coner & passing a drug store I saw lightning in the distance....we had not rain gear......popped in the drug store and got a box of big plastic trash bags.....torrents of rain came and I made all 4 of us nifty boy scout ponchos and covred the ground wit the rest....all the Japanese tourists wanted to take our picutres, hell with Wayne Newton. I'd like to know what the headline was in the Jap papers under the pix of the American family dressed in garbage bags.....and the Wayne Newton show was a bust. We never forgave Nancy for that.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Keith Richards was thrilled the Beach Boys were on - by comparison he looks great!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

TailhookTom wrote:Keith Richards was thrilled the Beach Boys were on - by comparison he looks great!
Keith Richards is thrilled when he wakes up every morning.

It was always the beach boys and mike love. He wasn't a Wilson and felt he never got the accolades he deserved as shown by his speech at the RR hall of fame induction for the BB's.

This also from a guy who was supposedly heavy into T meditation.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well I really enjoyed hearing and seeing the original Beach Boys.

I grew up in Pensacola where we all on the "Emerald Coast" enjoyed the the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Janice Joplin and the BEACH BOYS! ! ! (just to name a few)

The music of the Beach Boys gave us simple guys a glimps into a different kind of life.

Its no surprise that they are not "Real" as was made evident during an interview way back in the 70's when the Beach Boys openly admitted that they never went to a Drag Strip.....in fact the engine noise in "Little 409" was made in the streets of their neighbor hood by the revs of a Corvette. The other sound effects were made by the Wilson boys themselves using crude tools like a Skate Board/Rough concrete and a tape recorder......pretty creative guys...don't ya think.

By contrast........I wonder how many "Country" singers have ever actually rode a horse?????

I certainly did not know that Nancy Regan did not like the Beach Boys.....Commie Bitch! ! !

I went to see the Beach Boys in concert in 1979 in Mobile Alabama.....and would pick that concert again today over most anything else I can think of......with the exception of the Fab Four......actually, several years ago we went to the Wharf in Gulf Shores to see 3 Dog Night.....Loved that one too.

The Beach Boys did cost me a good bit of money over the years in "Burned Rubber"! ! !.......I'm 60 years old and will still "LIGHTUM UP" when the music is right! ! !

My all time favorite group is the Beatles and in particular John Lennon......but I'll never hear him again.

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm one who just tries to enjoy the music I like and disregard all the crap about the actual people who perform it. Not worth it, chances are I'll never meet them nor do I have a desire to...I give Kudos to them for their artistic talent and let all the other stuff fall as it may.

Beach Boys came up with a great sound...or borrowed and perfected a great sound...gotta give them that.

My .02...
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I agree that although the Beach Boys piece with Moron 5 was a travesty, and nothing good comes out of Niki Minaj, I was pretty happy with the show. I still love Glen Campbell (who actually was a Beach Boy for quite a while taking Brian's place on tour, and played guitar on Pet Sounds, etc.) Bonnie Raitt's talent is still staggering at 62, and Paul did a great job with the end medley from Abbey Road; not only playing and singing it, but the composition wasn't too bad either. Never been a Tony Bennett fan, and he is definitely losing his timing...

In the interests of fair disclosure, I am a member of the Academy. While over the years the show has turned from honoring those in our industry to a concert, NARAS really does accomplish a lot in music education and Musicares has been critical in providing health care for artists in need... visit Grammy.com and read some of the stories. I am proud to be a member.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,
The Beach Boys did cost me a good bit of money over the years in "Burned Rubber"! ! !.......I'm 60 years old and will still "LIGHTUM UP" when the music is right! ! !
Hey Harry, just wait...you'll be trying to burn the those Nibrals up also when you get DeNada going. You will be hearing the sound of those diesels running and want to push those throttles up till they hit the pins. hahaha!

Hell it's only $4 a gal right now...and you better get some good speakers for DeNada so you can hear the music. Hell...I love my remote volume control.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am a grumpy old man who cannot stand to watch Hollywood glorify itself, so I watched anything but any award shows!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug wrote:Hey Harry, just wait...you'll be trying to burn the those Nibrals up also when you get DeNada going. You will be hearing the sound of those diesels running and want to push those throttles up till they hit the pins. hahaha!

Hell it's only $4 a gal right now...and you better get some good speakers for DeNada so you can hear the music. Hell...I love my remote volume control.
Doug
I am praying and hoping that the "Whine and Scream" of turbos does the same thing for me as the "Deep Throated Roar" of a Quadrajunk at 4500 + RPM......that really gets my blood pumping......cannot get enough of it.

All of these new fangle "Fuel Injected" engines don't hold a candle to the roar of a Quad or an AFB or even a Double Pumper Holley.

When and if ever I finish Denada.....My Vette will be one of the next projects.....

Back to the music.....I have quite a collection of what my dad always called "Radical Shit"......and intend to put a sound system on Denada that will have every fish in the sea coming up to enjoy a "Blast from the Past".

Rawleigh when it come to "Grumpy Chrotchity ole Bastards" I challange you to a dual.....The 60's represent from the worst to the best decade of the century......I choose to enjoy the best of the 60's and the music is "Top Shelf" stuff........forget the personalities and just enjoy MUSIC! ! !

There a lot of good musicians out there but I've yet to see one that can top 96 Tears, Majic Carpet ride, Lady Madonna, Soul Kitchen or Bad Moon Arising no matter if a dick head sang it or not.

And Doug....."On the Pins" is the only way I know how to drive.....weather permitting.....

hb
hb
Josh Johnson

Post by Josh Johnson »

Harry, tell us about the Corvette.
Josh
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Back to the music.....I have quite a collection of what my dad always called "Radical Shit"......and intend to put a sound system on Denada that will have every fish in the sea coming up to enjoy a "Blast from the Past".
Recordings........the way it was meant to be to listen to old songs.