Most on this board are a cut above, Gert is one of them

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Michael

Most on this board are a cut above, Gert is one of them

Post by Michael »

It amazes me what some people in this sandbox will do for people they do not know and haven't even met.
Even though this sort of thing has happened before, I feel each story needs to be told.
As I am sure you are aware, Gert over in the Netherlands has recently removed the rearbulk head windows to go with a newer, more modern look. As my boat does not have the stock windows, I asked him what he was going to do with the old window frames, as I was interested in making my boat somewhat original. He said that I could have them for a donation to this site. I said that would be no problem, so I asked him what it would cost to ship them to me so I could repay him. He would not allow me to pay for that either. So he gave me the frames and shipped them to Bermuda at his expense to a person he does not know - amazing.

So as soon as I can figure out how, I will be making a donation to this sandbox in his name.

Thanks Gert.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

A check and note to Patrick will do it. To be sure, this is a very special site with a group of very special guys. Maybe it's the very special boat that attracts very special guys, but they both sure as hell added a dimension to my life I will always be grateful for.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

This is a great place!

Let me steal the lines from goodfellas -

"A friend of ours" is a made guy in the mafia. This term is used when a mobster is introducing another mobster to his mobsterfriends.
When a mobster is introducing a friend who is NOT a mobster to his mob friends, he will say that the person is "a friend of mine."

Gert is a friend of ours!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm gettin' all teary, you swabs.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Holy crap words can not describe! My usual and customary is to offer any of whatever I may have but make me a check payable to Patrick McCrary and then I will forward it to him. It removes the empty promises from the equation!

By the way Patricks address is available on his member info. He lives next to the llano international airport!

Of course support to Patrick on a regular basis is welcomed by all here as well.

This is THE sand box of sandboxes!

Thanks again Patrick

-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Pete - I'm almost thru reading "The Underboss" so I've learned some of this mob-ese already.....but remind me if we ever meet to keep my back to the wall.......and never speaka into da table lamp......

yo Fren'

UV
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Vic, being an of Italian decent and family from NYC its hard to not be interested in mob stuff. It was all around my dad as a kid in east Harlem but discrete nobody asked questions.

I do hope we meet Vic. I've got two good stories for you 1st is my grandfathers cousin who was Unberto Anastasios barber but not the day he was killed. Also another cousin who was the funeral director for saco and Vanzetti.
Carl

Post by Carl »

This is a special place...

Kinda like hanging on back of your boat with friends.

Don't know what your talking about guys...there is no Mob, never was...

LOL

A funny story of an acquaintance. Seems he left the car running outside an establishment, cause he don't like when its warm when he gets back in, ya know...anyway, car is gone when he comes out. Later that night the car was brought to his house, fully detailed, tank filled and apologizes offered...I never asked what was said or if apologizes were accepted. I just know he always chuckles when he tells the story.
In Memory of Vicroy

"The Underboss" about Sammy The Bull and his life in the mob is really a helluva read. I never realized that it was against the "rules" to kill each other with bombs. No car bombs allowed. Also, for many years no dope dealing allowed, penalty for dope dealing was death. Guess they got greedy. Where are they now when we really need 'em?

My former line of work frequently brought me into conflict with persons who liked to make you think they were in the mob so you better leave them alone. One particular loudmouth was spreading talk that he was gonna whack me & my wife & kids.......One of my law school classmates was of Italian descent from New Orleans and probably the real deal. I called him and asked if I needed to worry about the loudmouth jerk. After a long pause: "he's so stupid we wouldn't have him". Happy ending too, Loudmouth committed suicide. Old FBI agent told me once "never worry about the ones that brag, just worry about the quiet ones".

We need to trade some tales.....

UV
randall

Post by randall »

well. since this thread is hopelessly off course i'll add this.

as a young man sam giancana was standing behind me in the kitchen watching me slice tomatoes. he says "hey kid...you're pretty sure handed with that knife.....looking for work?"

this is a true story......but he was joking.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

Sammy the Bull was just a thug. If you want to read what it was really like, read Joe Bonano (SPL) jr's book "Honor thy Father".

His old Man ran the 5 families and was the one who made old Rudy G famous when Rudy finally nailed him when the guy was like 80 years old.

My father had a customer who was the son of one of Joe Bananno's top men. The old man used to come in some times, he was alway's dressed to the nines. Suit, hat whole 9 yards. Nicest guy at least to us. Don't think I would have wanted to mess with him. His name is mentioned quite oftern in the book.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

He was right Randy, never seen anyone better with a sharp object than you.

I will track down the book, thanks. I'd aleady read the one by the two former FBI agents who claim to have planted the bug in Paul Castallano's kitchen table lamp, but "The Underboss", which is mostly Sammy The Bull's own words debunks that myth. But in the end, Sammy screwed 'em all, (thugs have a way of doing that) - dimed out the whole bunch of them and got off with 5 years after admitting to 18 murders. Went into the witness protection program for a while but is now out - so they say, sans his old tatoos - and "gainfully employed". Slicing tomatoes I'm sure, but where?

UV
randall

Post by randall »

well to return the complement and get this thread back on track....

"if anyone here has a problem i could help them with and fails to ask me.....i will consider it a personal affront" (or words to that effect). Vic Roy

BTW...my pointer finger on my left hand has a gruesome wound at the moment. no one bats 1000. the knife went in the top, out the bottom and out the front. but generally i'm pretty good with sharp objects.
Carl

Post by Carl »

One of those Racketeering agents who worked the house, the case was on my dock...house was bugged.

Surveillance around the clock at the white house and Paul knew it....everyone did. It was as obvious as Paul not making his money from his Chicken business...not that he wasn't making a great amount of money from it...just it wasn't where the money was coming from.

I've heard the stories from both ends...kinda funny.
In Memory of Vicroy

Ouch, Randy.......were you on a ladder?

Yo Fren'

Sim - no question Paul's house on Staten Island was bugged, the discrepency between the book by the two agents and Sammy's account of it was how it was done. The Agents' book said one of Paul's relatives inadvertently let the agents into the house and then into the kitchen (where a snitch had said all his business was done at a breakfast nook). The agents said they noticed a modern chrome table lamp sitting there and they were able to identify who made it and ordered a duplicate that they put the bug in. The agents claim they used a stealth team several times to break into the house to install the bug, doped the gueard dogs, etc. Sammy said that's all made up BS. Sammy's book describes a lot of other bugs that did much more damage. Remember, Sammy & John Gotti, et al turned on Paul and had him killed - so Gotti could take over as boss and Sammy as underboss, so a lot of the good stuff happened after Paul was whacked. The killer tapes (pun?) were from a bug in an apartment that Gotti insisted on using in a "social club" his gang used. Sammy's testimony put Gotti and many others away for life.

Sammy's book estimates that the cost to rent property in the NYC area is inflated by 3.5% as a result of the mob corruption.

Oh yeah, and the first two John Gotti trials either acquitted him or hung the jury since his guys had bribed at least one juror, including the foremean in one. There were also some cops feeding inside info to the mob. Sammy's book claims his testimony put all those folks in the slammer for a long time.

And we worry about Our Dear Leader?

UV
randall

Post by randall »

another good mob non fiction book is "the westies"

i'm a little surprised no one wants to know why sam giancana was in my kitchen.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i do i do i do
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

He wanted Randall to carve up and paint one of his cardboard boxes of money to fool the Feds with next time they raided him.
randall

Post by randall »

i was 22 and pretty much surfing every day. my room mate's mom was dating him. he lived in beruit. our house was the secret rendezvous. i kept it to myself for obvious reasons.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Randall: Practicing your fileting?? That had to hurt! Do we need to get you a kevlar glove so that you can look like Michael Jackson! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

rookie mistake.....using the wrong straight edge and way too much pressure to score a line on a sculpture rough out. i taped a tea bag to it for 24 hours and that stopped the bleeding. gonna leave a nice scar!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hate to say this, but Gert really knows how to divert a post. LOL

Suprised he has not jumped in. He is probably wondering what all this talk is about.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
randall

Post by randall »

i tried to get it back on course but the thread got "recalculated" .
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

these things happen
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

It's Ohlstein's fault....................
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I believe my goodfellas quote threw us off track. Gert please come back and take a bow.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Randall - "pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever."

Next thing you know this bunch of touchy feely in touch with their femine siders are going to have a book club.

Where is the damned mean team??????/
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Sure....

I've got broad shoulders.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Indeed you do Prof....and to show how mean we are, me & the Bride are heading to South Beach tomorrow for a week at an anti-Q show. I had to promise her I would not wear a TSL or UVI t-shirt in public for a whole week. I lied tho, have a couple of them stuffed away in my carry-on. A fella can't sit at one of those sidewalk cafes on Lincoln Road & watch the long-legged gals on roller blades while wearing an ascot, right?

Any of y'all gonna be around Miami Bech my cell is 225 937 1319 but I warn ya my voice is a little weak right now but improving, so you may not recognize me.

I'm gonna just be dripping culture.

UV
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Hey! Good for you Vic
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
randall

Post by randall »

have fun...say hi!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony Meola wrote:Hate to say this, but Gert really knows how to divert a post. LOL

Suprised he has not jumped in. He is probably wondering what all this talk is about.
30 posts and only 5 or 6 have any significance to the original post...

It's one thing to meander off topic, that's just how conversations progress, but this hijack ain't even close.

Just sayin'....