Dumb bottle jack question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Dumb bottle jack question

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've got a couple of old hyd. bottle jacks and one appears out of oil and won't pump up. Where do you put in the oil? Unscrew the little valve you turn to raise & lower it, or try to unscrew the large hex nut at the top around the piston? And I assume any sort of ATF oil would do okay? We are talking about a $10 jcak at most and I have several others that work....just hate to junk anything that can be easily fixed.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Vic,

Years ago I went through this same situation... I used a syringe & hydraulic oil to fill through the blocking valve. After all of the mess and time consumed, the jack wasn't working any better, would't hold a load, and I wrote it off as a bad seal. For a low dollar jack, it just ain't worth the effort...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vic: You fill it through the screw hole on the side of the jack, The sheet metal casing on the outside of the jack is the reservoir and the jack itself is a hydraulic cylinder buried in the middle of it.

"B" on this drawing:

[img]
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AA&dur=705
[/img]
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger that Faithful, its gonna find a new life as a blowboat anchor.....or a door stop?

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Grosbeak reception device?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Vic, My bottle jacks have a rubber plug or bushing thats pressed in to the top of the barrel, pull it out with needle nose and fill to that level..tough to find GOOD American made jacks any more...lots of foreign junk...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Peter

Post by Peter »

In Memory of Vicroy

Well, glory be....the offending jack does in fact have a black rubber plug pressed into the side of the barrel that I guess can be easily pried out and since I have a box of old syringes (one of the few advantages of spending a lot of time in the hospital, you get to steal shit right & left) I'll try pulling the plug and filling to that point with fluid & see what happens. Getting ready to head to the camp to enjoy the 70s weather and give it a whirl when we get back in a day or 2.

Thanks for the tips as always.

UV
coolair

Post by coolair »

hydrolic jack oil comes in a bottle with one of those funnel type lids. i have always filled them by unscrewing the valve that lets it go up or down, always wondered what that black rubber plug was for :)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, being easily entertained, I just pried out the rubber plug, filled up an old syringe with power steering fluid and filled the jack to the top of the hole where the plug was. Popped the plug back in and the damn thing works like new. I'll be sure to sore it upright tho.....maybe laying on its side is what leaked the oil out in the first place?

Anyway, it worked. But I must confresss I'm somewhat ashamed that I was able to fix it when so many others, less fortunate, just cannot do it. The pure unfairness of it all really bums me out. No one should be able to fix a $10 bottle jack if I can. Just think how bad the non-fixers must feel.

Guess I'll take a nap and ponder all of this fairness stuff.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

In fairness, I think you should take another 4 years of fixing $10 bottle jacks so that you can get them all done right. I know it will be an undertaking, so you should appoint perhaps Bruce as Bottle Jack Czar, where he will send all bottle jacks in need of repair directly to your new repair facility, which will be state of the art solar powered and have floors made out of a renewable product and windows of the highest E rating possible.

In the meantime, in order to fund such shippnig, repairs, infrastructure and overhead, the government should take over Apple Computer and strip the shareholders of their stock, and sell the assets to the labor union pension funds, thereby hoping such change will bring about a constitutional modification appointing BHO as Leader for Life.

Sound like a plan?
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

TailhookTom wrote: thereby hoping such change will bring about a constitutional modification appointing BHO as Leader for Life.

Sound like a plan?
That might be "Dear Leader" comrade
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Da Comrade - let us all practice the following:

Unbreakable union of freeborn republics
Great Russia has welded forever to stand!
Created in struggle by will of the peoples
United and mighty, our Soviet Union!

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,
Bulwark of people, in brotherhood strong!
Oh! Party of Lenin! The strength of the people.
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sun rays of freedom have cheered us
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead!
To a righteous cause he raised up the people
Inspired them to labour and valorous deed!

In the victory of Communism's deathless ideal,
We see the future of our dear land
And to her fluttering scarlet banner,
Selflessly true, we always shall stand!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Vicroy wrote:Anyway, it worked. But I must confresss I'm somewhat ashamed that I was able to fix it when so many others, less fortunate, just cannot do it. The pure unfairness of it all really bums me out. No one should be able to fix a $10 bottle jack if I can. Just think how bad the non-fixers must feel.

Guess I'll take a nap and ponder all of this fairness stuff.

UV
Don't worry about it, you still are not sure you fixed it correctly. Think about all those things you were so proud of fixing, only to find out that your repair just came apart.

Let us know if it still works in 5 years. I say 5 years, because if you are like me, you will stick it in the garage were you can easily find it. You will not need it for 4 years,then when you need it you will have to go buy a new one because you can't find the one you fixed 4 years earlier, then a year later while moving something in the garage, there it is.

If it still works after you find it, then it is fixed.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Let us know if it still works in 5 years. I say 5 years, because if you are like me, you will stick it in the garage were you can easily find it. You will not need it for 4 years,then when you need it you will have to go buy a new one because you can't find the one you fixed 4 years earlier, then a year later while moving something in the garage, there it is.
I didn't know I had a twin brother!
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

so you should appoint perhaps Bruce as Bottle Jack Czar
So what your saying is I would be the head jack off...............I like it :-)
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce:

I am man enough to admit that I didn't think of that, but do like it.

I was thinking more along the lines of you get $500,000 per year as Czar for a couple years and then $50,000 per hour speaking engagements afterwards.

Note, always throw Global Warming, Fairness and you see into every speech.

Tom
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No, now it's "Climate change".
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Now that we conquered the bottle jack dilema whats next to fix? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob H. wrote:Now that we conquered the bottle jack dilema whats next to fix? BH
As head jack off, I propose we tackle women.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tackling women...seems like a fun sport.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Only if it is catch and release...
In Memory of Vicroy

Remind me to tell you guys the famous Port Eads 10 ton bottle jack story about my late friend Calhoun The Coonass.

Gotta run to a grandkid's birthday deal.

UV