Rudders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mikepelham

Rudders

Post by mikepelham »

I have just ordered oversized rudders from Capt. Pat. When I pulled the old rudders out, I noticed a collar with a shoulder that slides over the shaft and then the rudder goes through the rudder port. Ironically this was only on one of the rudders. My assumption is that there was play in the port and this collar was there to take up that space. Does anyone know where I could find one of these? Is a plastic/polycarbonate one ok or should I look for SS.

See link:
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/mikepelham01/
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

Does the addition of the collar bring the shaft diameter to 1 1/2"? If so, I can have the machinist add it SS...

As I mentioned on the phone, you may have two different sized rudder port.

Br,

Patrick
mikepelham

Diameter

Post by mikepelham »

The outside diameter of the sleeve is about .03-.04 (30 thousandths) and that is worn, but its thin
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

Actually, the more I delve into this, I think its a function of the rudder port. Each of them have a step built into the rudder port to accept this bushing. Trying to dtermine who manufactured the rudder ports
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

The original ports were round and impossible to find. When I repowered we called all over the country and not a one to be had. I needed to lengthen the collar section that the shaft of the rudder runs through. If you are beefing up the strut pads you might have the same issues. If you do you will need to find a good machine shop to help you out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mike,
The collars can be made by most good machine shops, you want at least a 1/4" of material and at least 3 " long made out of Delryn.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Marlin

Rudder ports

Post by Marlin »

Stuart propeller in Stuart Fl will fabricate rudder ports he has done a lot of them and shipped them around the states, Ed be the man, I was unhappy with the steering on my project after installing new rudders , he took a look and found the two rudders canting outboard instead of being perfectly vertical, he suggested we remov the bolts, rotate the rudder ports,( timed he called it) to get the vertical fix, red rill the holes, adjust the toe in again and the vessel performed much better, still not good at turning hard at cruise speeds, I have leaned to live with that, when I put the original rudder ports back in,I used the original hole pattern and the were no shims involved,FYI
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

What are the size of the bigger rudders compared to the smaller ones?