$750,000 Bluefin in Tokyo.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

$750,000 Bluefin in Tokyo.

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Just saw on the AOL page on the internet that a 580 lb Bluefin went for $750,000 at the Tskiji Market auction. If you look at some of the smaller pictures in the story you will see the buyers walking between rows and rows of Bluefin. I have been there and seen that...and it goes on every day, 7 days a week. I left there wondering if the ocean can take it. As technology develops, they will have no place to hide.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Last year in Japan they grew 990 tons of bluefin from eegs to adult in pens at sea. Soon they will not need to buy fish from us. They hired all the top people from Woods Hole and the University of Japan is running all the studies. The Bluefin love growing in pens and the meat is better.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kF69Q_VuQt0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kF69Q_VuQt0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ok, so how environmentally friendly is this. They need to catch and probably kill a mature female to get the eggs. Then a they need the sperm from a male.

Now if they said they raised a couple to maturity I could understnad the process. Then it would make sense because the farm becomes self sufficient.

The only upside is, this could creat a way of restocking the wild fish. Start the hatchlings in pools, and then release them into the wild.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Wonder what the Capt. who caught the fish got paid??? Bet it was ALOT less then $15,000...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
jrhaszard

Farm raised fish

Post by jrhaszard »

I once picked up a pamphlet at the IGFA museum in FLL that described how the at sea raising of salmon and tuna was a disaster and weakening the stocks of wild fish that mingled with them. I had no idea.
BERG1847M80F
Brewster Minton

Be careful. The Pew trust (they fund PETA and many others) spend big $ to make sure no fish are killed. Having run a seafood market for 9 years I learned that they are a force to be thought about. They spend 10 times the money the seafood ind. spends. Like anything with big money you need to think about what they are saying. Just saying.
jrhaszard

fish

Post by jrhaszard »

Figures.Sounds like the land grab up here on the Chesapeake by the C.Bay Foundation and the Land Conservancy.Scamming feeble old guys out of their property with the goal of moving us all away from the water.U.N. agenda 21.
BERG1847M80F
In Memory Walter K

Under the guise of "it's for the good of us all".
jrhaszard

Fish

Post by jrhaszard »

It's interesting that None of them around here that I know of bequeath their OWN land.
BERG1847M80F
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I stopped buying gas at sunoco...PEW connection...wonder where the fish had been landed..PEI fish? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Sea of Japan.
In Memory Walter K

Supposedly from the waters NE of Japan. They were more specific, but I forgot. Nevertheless it sounded like Japanese waters (they say).
Brewster Minton

Sorry, North sea of Japan.