3116 cats ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

3116 cats ?

Post by spencer »

the good the bad the ugly.

350 hp models, low hours early 2000 year, dont know what year for sure trying to find out from cat when commisoned , 50 hours on motors with zf
gears for 25000.00

Will they fit?
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I know of a B31 "Crocked Hooks" in NC with 3116 300hp. When I saw her engine boxes open a few years back they look real tight. I don't know how much larger the 350 hp motor is compaired to the 300hp. I am saying that and I have 3208NA in my B31. I think 350 hp is too much hp. She is pretty fast to me. Maybe not to Bob Lico but when you cruise over 27 Knts that fast to me.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
spencer

Post by spencer »

Capt,
Thanks for the reply
The motors appear to be the same model /size as the 300hp model,
I have Cabrerra engine boxes witch are a little longer compared to the stock, but I agree more or too much horsepower than I need.

The motors came out of a sea ray which caught on fire in the galley area and that boat was totaled out , my mechanic came upon them however he thought "The Faithful" would know if anybody had set up a 31 with the model.

still going towards cummins 270 remans

Thanks
Spencer

Just
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Understand. There was a B31 in Napales FL that Cabrerra had redone w/ 3116 300 hp I think "Pretty Work" ?? not sure but very well done boat. Good luck
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the 350hp and the 300hp are the same size . they are somewhat longer then cummins and will not fit in standard engine box without modification of back of box or if you have the talent move electronic box at rear of motor.
not going to get into the speed controversary however with a little imagination and a 5 degree rake with 19cup (don`t tell your favorite prop. guy this he will look at you cross-eyed ) you could be at 28 cruise at 2100rpm and engine will be in torque curve at great fuel economy and last 100 years. excellent weight distribution to rear off main bulkhead.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

A bunch of us when at the FLL show years ago went out west of WPB with Patrick and looked at a B31 that two guys (one a dot com money man?) were planning to put into production that had 350 3116s in it and a lot of custom stuff, including prop pockets. As I recall the prototype was the only one they did, guy ran out of money. Seems someone said it would do in excess of 45 kits.

The most dramatic thing I remember about the whole deal was Ric driving the rent car and me wearing out two rosaries.......

UV
spencer

Post by spencer »

Vic,
Sounds like that boat show was a lot of fun
The seller has not been able to make them run, even though they were running take outs.
they were comissoned in eary 2000 so most likeyly all the hoses need to be replaced, so for the cost , still seems better to bite the bullet and buy new.

Spencer
Carl

Post by Carl »

spencer wrote:
The seller has not been able to make them run, even though they were running take outs.

...so most likeyly all the hoses need to be replaced, so for the cost , still seems better to bite the bullet and buy new.

Spencer

That does not mean a whole lot...some guys are so cheap they cheap out on good help and go with no help or sometimes worse, second rate help that can't find their way out of a paper bag.
Could be a major problem or something simple as properly bleeding a line.

Walking away from a good deal because of bad hoes implies it may be somewhat less then a good deal. For me, unless everything looked to be in A-1 condition I'd be going thru motor with a fine tooth comb replacing whatever I could while motor was out of the hole and easy to access.

At 25,000 they sound more on the line of affordable then a good deal. Then comes the question...for a few thousand do you want to settle? Is there an upside to the motors other then upfront its a bit less out of pocket.

Sounds like you already figured out your direction...I was just kind of figuring what I would do in a similar situation...now at 15 they sound much better and the process starts all over again.

50hrs on 2000's...that kind of smells funny.

Carl
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

The 300 hp 3116's had an ok rep after all of the soft blocks were smoked out. The 350hp versions are not ones that I would spend any more than $10K on. He's way overpriced at $25k.
Regards,

Doug L.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

There were 2 30' albemarls brought into the Cape May area within the last year. The 1 with 370 yanmars paid quite a bit more than the one with 3116 cats. Both boats are Palm Beach clean.
If you read boat diesel .com , from the archives it seems that the 3116 does not have an "A" rating. In fact it may be hard to get a -B rating.
The 3116, 350HP model has had valve problems and should not have been introduced.
Bruce would know more about this engine than anyone else.