while at it 3

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gert van Leest

while at it 3

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Guys
to while waiting on my rubrail to arrive, I thought of few other little stuff to to kill time.
So, i took out the old aft bulkhead windows , painted the hull ice blue , had all the little parts rechromed , put all new VDO gauges in the dash and rewired the complete dash and finally put on the rub rail , this was a nice job to do and I am more than happy with the result !!! ( she looks new !! )
added some new cavas...
Now I am waiting for the new tinted lexan to arrive……..and I think I am done for this winter…………………
Regards Gert

Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

She looks super Gert. I am sorry to see that grey hull go, it just looked tough.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Gert, thanks for sharing; you make us proud!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Wow.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gert, No sittin still for you...like the chrome bezels on the gauges from vdo? or aftermarket? Ice blue looks sweet but I too like the look of the grey, leaning that way for my 31..Keep up the great work and more pics..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert

I too will miss the grey but the Ice Blue makes for a real pretty boat. Ilove what you did. What did you use for the face panel on the guages. The original was black. Looks liek you have gone white or an off white at least. I like the look.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Your boat is so awsome!!!! You have some crew to make something so cool.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Gert, I gotta tell ya, when you get an idea, you get it done in pretty short order.

She's beautiful! ! ! Denada will likewise be Blue....and I think the Blue is very pretty....but like others here have already said.....I also liked the Gray.

hb
hb
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Gert, Amazing just Amazing. You realy don't play around when you get a idea. You get it done. She looks SWEET !!!
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Gert, i would also like to know more about your gauge bezels as well. I am looking for something like that for my B-20 instrument array. As usual your boat looks amazing.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just beautiful!

I'll 3rd the motion on more gauge info.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Re: while at it 3

Post by Carl »

Gert van Leest wrote:
..........while waiting on my rubrail to arrive.....

took out the old aft bulkhead windows , painted the hull ice blue , had all the little parts rechromed , put all new VDO gauges in the dash and rewired the complete dash

Regards Gert

LOL...Painted the hull.

Gert, that is one hell of a list to do while waiting for a Rub Rail to arrive. Looks great!

Carl
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

GERT, now that you have my boat all fixed up, do you want to send it back to me? You certainly did a beautiful job on her, she never looked this good even when she was new. Good luck with her, Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
opunui

Post by opunui »

Gert.. Beautiful job. Where did you have the intake screens manufactured?

Aloha, Bobby
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Gert,

Was the Ice Blue painted on with a brush too?

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=OL_WH_BL_CHR

you can get the VDO gauges with all sorts of options.

On my car - I went a step further - I had them custom rescreened with more of the old style green - with Chrome bezels... They are also VDO

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Guys,

First of all, all the best for you and yours in 2012 and lets hope the Maya’s did a miscalculation !! ( and we get rid of Obama )

And I hope you have a coming boating season as good as the last ( speaking for myself ).

Thanks for the compliments again , the only thing I had done is the painting , the rest of the stuff I do after dinner and in the weekends myself.

According the grey I must say that the wife convinced me to go for it ……………… (and , I am happy when she is ! ) most of you know………………….!

The gauges I used are VDO ocean line , they are out of the trade for the new ones View line.

They can be ordered in white and black and the bezels can be ordered separately in chrome , standard white for the white gauges and black for the black..

If you really want to go funky they can be ordered in gold to.

If you go to their site , you can find a dealer locater.

I have 454 MPI Merc’s so I had to chance the senders to.

The inlay of the dash I spray painted silver with 6 coats of clear varnish ( spray can ).

The air intakes are of the brand VETUS , most of the time , their stuff is not of a very good quality but they are alright , only you should go for a sturdier dorade box on the inside.

And of course Dick , it has been brushed , but Awlgrip will also go nice applied with a fine foam roller , but very important for this paint is use 10-15 % reducer an apply it below 75 Fahrenheit and the moisture in the air must be below 70 %.

And Russ , try to keep your patience .. I know it is hard but it will be worth the wait , I am a lucky guy that I bought your boat , she needed a little attention , but she had been so good for me last season. I love the 454’s the sound of it works better for me than the little blue pills !!!

All of you the best , and I love this forum !!

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert van Leest wrote:Hi Guys,

According the grey I must say that the wife convinced me to go for it ……………… (and , I am happy when she is ! ) most of you know………………….!

I love the 454’s the sound of it works better for me than the little blue pills !!!

All of you the best , and I love this forum !!

Gert
LOL
How true on both accounts. If the first quote does not happen, no need for the second.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

When I did Dreamsicle several years ago I bought VDO Ocean from Egauges.com.
Best prices then.
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=OL_BL_BL
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

very
very nice gert, love the color
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very nicely done, color looks great on a 31bertram . perfect shape to side/cockpit windows. i love your boat facillity . you could do just about any improvement in that place and most of all out of weather.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Gert quick question. I had to swap my VDO tachs and go with the analog guages with a digital hour meter/ program.

The tach is supplied with a seperate push button for for config and mode switching. I don't see one mounted on your dash, Are you letting your's hang behind the guage, unplug after configuered or mounted somewhere else?

I am thinking of just leaving them hanging behind the guages, hoping for your thoughts...
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Go for broke forget the lexan . I have identical cockpit windows use tempered 1/4 " limousine glass .you can see out no one can see in especially in head facing dock area !
capt.bob lico
bero13010473