So what's the plan for 2012?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm sure you guys all have projects before the boat hits the water in the spring, so what is it?

My boat is over at Raybo waiting to get that mess under the old pulpit cleaned up. Also picked up my ditch bag and am working on filling it with all the goodies I hope I never need.

When I get the boat back I want to take the drop down table off, remove the old laminate and do something to pretty it up for the wife. I also lost my flood lights and anchor light on the tower, haven't had any luck tracking back the problem, unfortunately many years of old wiring is making something simple a needle in a hay stack.

Want to add a SW wash down and rig up the live well I've talked about and get a pedestal rocket launcher for the cockpit.

A couple of engine issues still the port motor fuel line drains back after a week, still need to track that back. And when I push her over 3200rpms the port motor seems to slip (revs up and down).

I think that's all doable before I wet a line and run out of money.

So what's your plan?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

The good news is, sounds like your port motor leak down and the lack of fuel at the top end are the same issue, hole in the fuel line some where. It leaks down because of air and it can't suck enough gas at the high end for the same reason.
Scott Traenkle
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Interesting I would never have thought to link the two.

I wish I could explain it well but I'll have to ask the mechanic, after the rebuild I burnt out a few fuel pumps and he had to do something to increase the flow rate at the recomendation of the guy the block was sent too Not sure exactly what but I thought that may have been why the fuel was leaking back.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It's air, coming from somewhere within the fuel system. For starters, before you spend any money, tighten every connection from the tank to the carburetor. Then tighten the bolts holding down the carb. Air will do it to diesels, too. Drove me crazy before I found a hairline crack behind the Racor filter bowl, and the only way we even found it was my son seeing bubbles in the bowl every time I cranked the engine. Everything I had done before I was alone. Would never have found it if I was by myself.
Dug

Post by Dug »

My list is to replace the raw water washdown system, replace the oil change pump and manifold system, see if I can stabilize some interior cabinetry, replace a couple of switches, refasten my stereo head, repaint the paneling inside my cockpit, re-fasten the electronics box to the hard top (I knocked it loose, don't ask...), and just get through spring prep.

That's enough. If I do it all...

D
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

1st redo the walk way between the engines. I have the FG box ready just need to get some coosa. Figure out how to make the side panels side out like Bob's.

2nd either new cockpit side panels or repaint old ones.

3rd new am/fm that I can control from bridge.

4th replace all the AC wiring in cabin.

5th new cushins for engine boxes.

6th new helm bench seat.

The list goes on and on. these are the big things to get done this winter. unless we get some strippers then the some things will wait.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Frank,

Bob Lico recommended 4" foam for my engine box cushions, friends and family couldn't be happier.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. frank i can take additional photo`s if you need them. change fuel,oil filters simply open engine hatch lift out insert ,walk forward and lean against salon seat . when finish reverse order;no clips,screws,or fasteners of any type and does not vibrate!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

For the light issue, just scrap all the old wire and start over. Will be easier at the end of the day, trust me.

I need to put in a DC panel, move the house battery switch, redo the non skid on the deck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

List of upgrades for 2012 on CHIMERA

Just the usual maintenance;

Send out both sets of wheels for balancing
Change raw water pump impellers
Oil in engines gears and gen set-done
Varnish bulkhead
Replace 4d batteries
Replace lenses in bow light
Re sew enclosure u-zip
Add rod storage for light tackle in v berth
Clean and wax riggers

Rub her down and clean her up for an April splash and try to get the girl to Hatteras
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will cut a 2" piece around the perimeter of the bottom of the engine hatches. then take that piece and permanently attach to cockpit floor. then install concealed hinges on inside of engine hatch after reinforcing bottom two inches of hatch to accept hinges. now i will never have water falling on gears when i use saltwater wash down offshore.another upgrade is to install alarm bell on newly installed coolant level sensor mounted in the expansion tank.now i have alarm bell concerning water and buzzer for voltage /oil. do my best to learn how to snag bunker with treble hook then leave in water for the big cows under the pod. rather silly taking the marine wounded warriors on a fishing trip for bass when the captain can`t teach them a thing!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

I just wanna finish my house, then work on one boat at a time, unless the land yacht falls apart. 218,500 miles and still holding together.
Harv
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I plan on putting some blood on the deck.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

float.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wait a minute guys, the name of the thread is
Didn't UV mention something about a return to Port Eades this year for the ultimate UVI?
Now there's a plan in the making. What say you Uncle Vic?
There are so many that never went and only heard the tales and there are so many who did that would jump on board if it came by again.
Sign me up!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
My plan is to try and get my right knee in working order, no pain, swelling or noises.
On the boat haven't got much left to replace, a few items to get done are:

1. Change out head intake and discharge sea cocks from old cone valves, I've got the new sea cocks already.
2. Have the deck and cabin house re-painted.
3. Replace hand rails on cabin house top.
4. Re-fasten the aft section of the rub rail, the bow section is done.
5. Re-wire from batteies to the battery switches.
6. Get new inserts for all the Lee rod holders.
7. Paint bottom.
8. Put boat into the water for the first time in 6 years.

Not too many things to do and only around $10,000 give or take $1,0000.

Happy New Year to all.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

My goals for this year...Im with John ...Float... but first build the cabin, now underway...helm, engine boxes, aghhhh way to much to list..Ill just keep plugging along...Main goal, go for a ride with Harry Babb on Denada....beat you to the punch my friend...and your closer to done than I am....lol...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:Main goal, go for a ride with Harry Babb on Denada....beat you to the punch my friend...

LOL......you sure did.....guess I'd better be getting some good weather for painting.

Mechanically she is done.....basically we are down to paint and final assembly. I spent this weekend building a battery tray and plastic tops.

So in answer to Peters original question my plans for 2012 is to take Bob Higgins for a ride on DeNada......may be even try to drown a Pin Fish on an AJ spot.....and although I am a little apprehensive about making the trip the rumblings of a UVI at Port Eads sure sounds interesting.....real interesting.

hb
hb
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

1. Rebuild the deck supports and bulkheads.
2. Lay down my new (used) Glasstech deck
3. Use the Bertram more and the Whaler less!!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

go surfing, fish from the kayak and canoe, play with the inflateable........................go fishing on OTHER PEOPLE'S boats. do absolutely NO work on boats other than washing the blood off the deck.

(with some exceptions for Predator)
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey - not sure about UVI this year as progress on rebuilding the Port Eads marina is slow, in part due to the drip-drip-drip of indictments of the local politicians grovelling for the FEMA pinata'. Even with the place up and running (if your oculd call it that) in prior years it took me about 6 months to cobble the thing together for the end of June.

But one of these days.....

UV
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Peter, ya 4" for sure. I used 6" when I redid the v-berth and love it. Also want to add a wedge to lean against the cooler and ladder.

Bob, my step is part of my side panels right now. So I have to build the step to be seperate from the side panels and removable.

JP, Bring her down. Love to see you master peice in person. My wife loves the teak bulkhead.

Almost forgot to go to the NC rendevue by boat this year!!!

use the boat more.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

UV
Otay, Buckwheat. Maybe the year after.
Happy New Year!
M
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:Mikey - not sure about UVI this year
Looks like the stage is set for the first UCDQI......not that it can hold a candle to a UVI.....

So now without further adiue........

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

UCDQI?
What dat?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey wrote:UCDQI?
What dat?

Well I thought Capt DQ would chime in here with a response by now.....guess he is down on the dock taking care of "Short Circuit"

Mikey....dat beez "Uncle Captian Doug Quigley Invitational"

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry, thanks.
What bes "Uncle Captian Doug Quigley Invitational"
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey wrote:Harry, thanks.
What bes "Uncle Captian Doug Quigley Invitational"
It would be something like a UVI except it would be hosted by our own Doug Quigley........and would take place somewhere on the Florida Coast.......

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ah!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
jrhaszard

2012 get together

Post by jrhaszard »

The North Carolina folks did a great job last year.I met some wonderful people,saw some beautiful Bertrams and thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Harkers Island and the BBQ.Wonderful time.Try it,you'll love it!
BERG1847M80F
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UCDQI?
What dat?
Harry's Tournament Chairman!

Sounds like on the Gulf Coast there's going to be...fishing...eating... drinking...then repeat again. Southern Style!

It don't matter which order you want to put them in...I guess. I prefer fishing first...then it's autopilot back to P'cola. Then it really doesn't matter after dat. Eating...drinking...drinking...eating...

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

DQ, Id gladly help Harry with the drinking oh I meant the fishing...count me in for both...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I'm in!!!! Let's set some dates what do y'all need from me
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug wrote:Sounds like on the Gulf Coast there's going to be...fishing...eating... drinking...then repeat again. Southern Style

Soooooooo.......how much interest is there in a "UCDQI"???? (Uncle Captian Doug Quigley Invitational)

Actually Doug and I have briefly talked about a Gulf Coast Rendezvous a couple of years ago.

Whatcha think gentlemen?????? Is this of interest??

hb
hb
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Mucho Interest from the Bayou..
Keep us posted

Ray
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Save an invite for this swamp yankee....BH
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,

I don't how many other faithful would come from other ports but we have just off the top here in P'cola. Now we need to find out for sure on who's in listed below. But I feel pretty good about those listed below.

Now I have room for 2-4 boats that might travel in at my dock and we can find plenty of room at other docks if need be.

1. Me
2. Harry, if you get Denada in the water
3. Kenny McCoy
4. Mac & Jeremy Creech
5. Kelly Small

Then there are some others here that could be contacted.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug wrote:. Harry, if you get Denada in the water
This year???? LOL

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

YOU CAN DO IT HARRY....think of it as a shakedown cruise...BH
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Just joking around Bob......I REALLY think this spring may be "Splash Day

Chris, Chris, Angie, Alan and Ben have been helping me. We are focusing on the bottom right now since I don't seem to get a break in the weather so that I can paint the hull sides and top.

I am working on mounting bilge pumps and batteries right now.

The bolts that I bought to mount the struts were not long enough on the STBD side to allow me enough length to install a backing pad. I could not find (from my normal sources) flat head bolts 1/2" dia long enough to do the job so we made some last week out of Aquamet 22. Sunday I "Buttered up" the backing pads with thickened epoxy and placed them in place. After the epoxy set I removed the Backing Pad and will now replace the bolts and install the backing pad for good.

Gotta make a "Punch List" so I can finish all of the LITTLE nagging details that seem to pile up.

I really do think this spring the ole girl will float.

hb
hb
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Where's the "like" button Harry?
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

How about a slightly modified UVI held in Venice? Stay in some of those FEMA trailers? Most of the blood has dried up by now, and whats a little off gassing of chemicals to folks like us? I live on chemicals.

Change it this time so its eating at one of those greasy spoons in Venice, as opposed to having a cook. Plus, have folks BYOB. This will reduce the hassle factor for the organizer a bit.

If in Venice, I can almost assure participation by the one and only Hyena.

P'Cola, in contrast, is another's day run. Thats a long way for us Texas boys.
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

Bertram 28
1. new head
2. fix the new wood cabin entrance hatch that warped a bit probably from water intrusion.
3. new anchor/windlass ... refuse to fix that old piece of crap again.
4. add a secondary engine room bilge pump (3700 gph) with PS-02 Ultra Safety Switch and control switch at helm.
5. rig all cockpit drains to drain overboard instead of into the bilge.
6. repair dry rot on cabin door ... could mean replacement of the door.
7. secondary radio station in the cabin.

she's in good shape now ... looking forward to summer.

Bertram 54 .. she's in the water and staying that way.
1. H42 helm is out for overhaul ... re-install and verify she steers easier. (was leaking) .. man ... she steers hard ... (the ram is new).
2. nightmare port engine overhaul is behind me ... Now I'll start learning to do some maintenance myself. Will start with replacing a stuck injector and an oil change to the starboard engine.
3. diagnose source of some fuel on the fuel distributor of the Lugger (Northern Lights) generator.
4. finish installation of new Raritan Atlantes head. After trying to get my Galley Maids to be reliable, I picked out the worst of the 3 and decided to replace.
5. finish some paint work in the springtime.
6. new props in the springtime ... working with S&S and Carey's Diesel to find a few more knots and get rid of some vibration. Since they are the original props, it's about time.

Enjoy a summer of boating in Maine then back to the Chesapeake.

Catch a fish.
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'm probably good for either place. I can assure y'all that putting one of these on is a little more complicated in time & $ than meets the eye unless its done at one place where everyone just hieres a pro organizer....but then you get into the NOAA tourney regs crap.

I'm planning to fish the gulf a good bit this summer, some on AJ and if I play my cards (cooking skills) right, on the big Mary P. And Panama too, assuming my miracle cancer docs keep telling me every 3 months I'm still a go.

Me & the Brife are going to Miamai Beach for a week two weeks from tomorrow for the big Anti-Q show & hanging out.

During the past 10 days I put a pair of electric water pumps & new faucets in the head and galley sinks. A lot harder than it looked, but works great. Litttle one GPH 40 PSI pumps from Northern tool for 28 bucks. The faucets have a push-push switch on them and with just one thin stainless washer are a direct fit for the original Perko plastic crappy hand pumps.

Aslo put in a thermostat for my block heaters that seems to work very well. And added another VHF radio with a 6 DB Metz antenna. Junked the crappy plastic Guest Beamer remote spotlight and bought two 3 mil. CP hand helds for about 40 bucks total and either one will shine a marker at two miles.

And spent a day going over all the boats with a can of CX. And took the 13 foot whaler with its balky 30 hp Nissan to a dealer to get it fixed. Planted some rye grass. Put my deer cam out and got nice shots of me fishing off the dock and two coons fornicating.

All in all an mind-numbing 10 days or so.

UV
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Save, Save, Save, for all that diesel iron....
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Rocky wrote:Save, Save, Save, for all that diesel iron....
Santa let ya down Rocky????......keep plugging my friend

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

http://www.prweb.com/releases/NORAD/NOR ... 115614.htm

now phoenix really have it`t hands full. i am out suppose to be retired should have listen to viv roy and throw in the towel!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I got side tracked, figured I'd see if you all have made better progress then I have....

The boat is still over at Raybo, my wife is 3 months pregnant and I've now got two rooms (one being a bathroom) completely gutted in the house. I had to search for this thread just to remember what I know I haven't had time to do!

It seems my list of excuses is larger then my to do list.....
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:So I got side tracked, figured I'd see if you all have made better progress then I have....

The boat is still over at Raybo, my wife is 3 months pregnant and I've now got two rooms (one being a bathroom) completely gutted in the house. I had to search for this thread just to remember what I know I haven't had time to do!

It seems my list of excuses is larger then my to do list.....
Peter

Looks like you might be high and dry this summer. Tell Raybo not to rush.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

Figuring my boating will be cut short around 4th of july as Shannon is due 8/10, as I won't want to be caught far from home, first baby came 4 weeks early. Then I should be able to get some fishing in for the fall. Most of my spring and early summer fishing is on the flats. The good news is I'll be able to pull things apart on the b31 in the summer that I'd normally not want to do during the family beach trip season.

Any other time i'd probably be down at Raybo like a 5 yr old asking "is it done yet". Busy squireling money away for 6 months of wife's unemployment and home remodel.

On another note I heard guys catching blitzing bass off Long Beach, NY this past weekend.