Rocky

Lunar Eclipse

Post by Rocky »

Well,
I had to get up for work anyway, but stared at the Westward direction
of the sky and watched the Lunar Eclipse. You guys on the East Coast
should see the "climax" at 9:03 am. In your part of the region you would see
the moon setting while entering Penubra. I saw already the moon setting
while leaving Umbra. Not a solar eclipse but still pretty cool to watch.
Make some coffee and sit back and watch!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Post was a bit late, but did any earlybirds catch that on
Mid to East portion of US ?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The TV weather guesser said last night it would be probably too low in the western sky to see much of it here (91 degrees W.) and it was cloudy anyway.

But I did catch something.....some critter has been digging up the Bride's begonias in the back yard so I set up my new IR Moultrie game cam last night and got a full facial photo of the perpretrator...a huge coon.

Tonight I may invite him to dinner....first you make a roux....

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I saw a hugh fat woman's moon at breakfast this morning with the wife.

Does that count? I swear it went dark for a second or two.

UV,
While away at Pats, I had a possum take residence on the side of the garage in some boat parts. The dog keep digging at the parts till I heard a very low pitched growl.

I'm going to keep putting food out for another two weeks and then, bang.
I bet my family never had Christmas possum as the main course.
In Memory of Vicroy

Possum is damn good, much better than coon....tastes like pork. A real dark brown gravy does the trick, stew it down for a good while. When I was a kid we lived way out on the edge of town and possums were everywhere (as were grosbeaks, but that's another story). The possums liked to walk on the electric wires and it was great sport to whack 'em off the wires.

They love grapes - a hint to lure 'em out for their last supper.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Vicroy wrote:Possum is damn good, much better than coon....tastes like pork. A real dark brown gravy does the trick, stew it down for a good while. When I was a kid we lived way out on the edge of town and possums were everywhere (as were grosbeaks, but that's another story). The possums liked to walk on the electric wires and it was great sport to whack 'em off the wires.

They love grapes - a hint to lure 'em out for their last supper.

UV
What no Roux?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Vic, How do we make "real dark brown gravy"? I have a family of possum in the back yard.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I love it! Classic post HiJack! I believe it was inevented on the 31 site. Now lets get into details about the brown gravy. Got a murder of geese out front on the pond that will need this.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

MMMMMM, all them critters sound so tasty! I myself am a fan of deep fried
squirrel. Tastes like the thigh of the chicken but better. UV something tells me your not joking about coons and possum, yuk!
Bruce I hope you didn't go blind there for a second.
Mark yeah that just happens to me, it's fine.
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, of course you use a roux to make a dark brown gravy. I'll give y'all the short way:

Run a couple of medium size white onions thru the food processor until its mush. Add about two heads of peeled garlic and re-mush it all. Put a half cup of olive oil in a cast iron Dutch oven and heat it till spit sizzles in the oil. Dump in the mushed onion and garlic and saute' - stirring consantly - over medium high heat until it starts to brown. Now add three headping tablespoons of sun dried tomato paste (regual is okay, but the sun dried is much better), two tablespoons of lemon juice, and about a teaspoon of sea salt and continue to saute until very dark brown. As you saute', add olive oil as necessary to keep the mass nice and moist and not sticking to the dutch oven. When its as dark as you dare without burning it - remember to stirr all the time - add 4 tablespoons of Savoie's dark roux in the glass jar. If you don't have the roux in the jar I'll tell you how to make some later. Stir in the roux briskly then slowly add two quarts of chicken stock. Swanson's if okay. Let the gravy come to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let it bubble slowly, uncovered for about a half hour, taste & add garlic and/or onion powder as you like, then cover and continue to cook for another hour & a half. Now its ready to add your meat. Brown the meat in the oven or under the broiler before adding. Cook slowly in the gravy until the meat is falling off the bone. I sumetimes dump the gravy into a slow cook crock pot and cook the meat that way since we have a gas stove and its hard to get the fire low enough without using some sort of metal grate over the burner.

To make a simple roux: Take a heavy iron skillet and put about a quarter cup of olive oin iin it and slowly heat. As it heats begin to slowly sprinkle general purpose flower into it and briskly stir with a spatual.....the goal is to add enough flour to make a very thick creamy mixture and cook it as dark as you can without burning it. I like to go to a medium chocolate color, some darker. It has a very distinctive aroma when it just right, takes some practice and don't be afraid to burn it a few times, just dump the burnt out, wash your skillet and start over. When its ready take out of the skillet to keep it from overcooking and save to add to your gravy. That's all there is to it....the stuff in the jar is better than I've ever ben able to make tho.

It usually takes me about 25-30 minutes sttanding over the stove stirring my onion/garlic mush to get it done to the point of adding the roux & then the chicken stock.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this site has hit a new high!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:this site has hit a new high!
Bob

You know it's all about friends when it comes down hijacking threads and moving on to food.

Walter has a cook book, so how about the UV Coonass Food from the Heart Cook Book. UV what do you say.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Shoot, Tony....I've probably put enough recipes up here to make a cookbook already...maybe one of the Faithful can dig them out and put 'em all in one place.

Sometimes you run across a dish that is really unexpected....the other day I was in Whole Paycheck by the fish counter and looked in their 4 or 5 seafood soup pots...stuff like clam chowder & the like. One was labeled "fisherman's stew"....I dipped the ladle in and smelled it ...hmmmm...looked around & no one was looking (probably 50 goons watching the security cams, tho) and tasted it....damn....some of the best stuff I ever put in my mouth, so bought a pint and had about half of it for lunch yesterday.....today took some left over boiled shrimp, cut them up and put 'em in the rest, heated it up and even better. I have no idea how to make it and for 5 bucks a pint & with the place right near my house I ain't gonna learn. Sort of a tomato based stew Next time you go in a whole paycheck see if they have it. And no red pepper in it, unusual for prepared stuff in coonassland.

Some of you probably have noticed I don't use any pepper in my stuff at all. Two reasons, first being real cajun food is not hot with pepper, and second, I've had chemo twice and one of the side effects was I have zero tolerance for red pepper or other hot stuff. Hot sauce is easy to add at the table but impossible to take out. So if you go into a restaurant and they ahve something they call "cajun", ask for a taste first. If its lip-burniung hot, feed it to the cat.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Shucks, it be asy to track Uncle Vic's recipes and most others posted by or replyed to by the Faithful...

Just click: Google Search of Bertram31.com for UV Recipe
In Memory of Vicroy

There ya go, what a wonderful world...instant cookbook with 211 hits.

Thanks, Ole Fart.....

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

My next trip south, I will have to hit a Paycheck. Paycheck'sdon't exist in the North East.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

By the way, over the years, I never realized so many UV recipes existed.

We need to save that search as a favorite.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote:UV

My next trip south, I will have to hit a Paycheck. Paycheck'sdon't exist in the North East.
Tony I'm guessing "whole Paycheck" is actually "whole foods".
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

You guessed it Peter...

And here's The dark secrets of the organic-food movement.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just be glad we all don't have Tourette's rather than ADHD for thread hijacking.

Otherwise every thread would look like this:

^*&*&^))^%&#!#^@%^$&*+#_)(@(*^(^!^#*&%^&%*%!%#(*&&*@*&!^&^%*%&^%&%***!^*$*#*@*#&^&$^#*@**@(@*!^@^#*(*(&((&(&&$(&#&^%@$@#!^&*&^@!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

CaptPatrick wrote:You guessed it Peter...

And here's The dark secrets of the organic-food movement.

I prefer to take my HGH and antibiotics with my beef, chicken and pork rather than pay for it separately thru a pharmacy and drs office visit. You save quite a bit of money that way.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

No matter, I am not a Whole Foods kind of guy. I prefer Trader Joe's, best junk food around.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315