painting starboard

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

painting starboard

Post by JohnCranston »

I know, sounds like a stupid question. Let me explain...I bought a custom Starboard tackle box that fits into my helm, and found out that it's not bright white, but has a yellow tint to it. I didn't know about the wrong color untill it was installed. The box is great as it allows you to drop open the front door, which enables you to either grab individual Plano boxes, or, open up the door fully, and allowing total access to the wiring on the inside of the helm. If there's a way to prime and paint the Starboard without the paint coming right off, then, I'd like to go that route instead of having another box built.
Any help on this one would be a great help.
Thank you.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Can't you just replace the front facing panel with a bright white?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

As far as I know you can't paint Starboard. In fact it is almost impossible to glue Starboard, although I do have two adhesive systems that you can glue it with, but they are difficult to use because they are both two part systems and have a "pot life" of about 15 seconds.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

John,

I didn't actually believe that you could not paint starboard, so I set out to test it. The paint practically slid off in less than a week. I'ts just too slippery and rouphing it up doesn't help at all.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Walter,
We pretty much figured that it would come down to that, but, always looking for an easier solution.
Frank,
The overall dimensions are about 23" x 26" from what I can remember. The frame work is glued together, kind of like a picture frame, but, if I bought a big enough piece of Starboard, then it should handle the frame and cover of the box.
Dick,
Well, the proof is in the pudding...it won't work.
Many thanks, fellas
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich