9/11 boatlift from Manhattan... Must watch this!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

9/11 boatlift from Manhattan... Must watch this!

Post by IRGuy »

I don't need to say anything.. just watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOrzF7B2Kg
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

That was great. Thanks, Frank.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Very moving! Wow!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

great inspiration to start the day........Thanks

Ray
Dug

Post by Dug »

Incredible. Made me wish I had been there to help!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dug wrote:Incredible. Made me wish I had been there to help!
I was there ..... be glad you were not. People stepped up and did great things, but you didn't want to be there.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

What Americans CAN do....amazing ....Thanks Frank.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bertramp wrote: I was there ..... be glad you were not. People stepped up and did great things, but you didn't want to be there.
Spot on.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bertramp wrote: I was there ..... be glad you were not. People stepped up and did great things, but you didn't want to be there.
You guys are both right! My wife drove in to get to the news desk, her press pass got her on a closed 59th St bridge, for a very unique view of a falling tower. The best man in my wedding made his way to the firehouse in Brooklyn at the same time. They searched the battery tunnel and when they made it to manhattan they thought they were in hell.

Not knowing what was going on or how bad it would get I really wasn't sure I'd see either of them again. This video was really great and put back in perspective that feeling of the unknown and another group of great Americans. At 9am that morning we all wondered if it was WW3 and if there would be a manhattan by the end of the day. To many people forget that!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

There is another video made by the Port Captain of New York in the same section as the video I posted above.

He remarked that when the USCG called out to all vessels (you heard the call in the clip above) for assistance boats came out in droves.. and no vessel asked for a purchase order or for compensation. I have to believe that the owners of the responding vessels lost tons of money that day.

We here in the US certainly have our differences and fights on occasion, but when one of us or 500,000 of us needs help.. the rest of us turn to!

The captain of the Amberjack V is just a blue collar guy making a living, but his basic principles of life are part of what makes this country great!
Frank B
--------------
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Frank,
Well said...we need guys like that in congress and in the big white house...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks Bob..

I suspect the captain of the Amberjack V is too smart to get into politics.
Frank B
--------------
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bertramp,

While I do know what you were saying, I suspect you know what I was saying...

Dug
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dug...
No harm intended in my comment, please don't take any ... and yes I understand what you were saying.
I worked in 2WTC and was one of the people up close and personal that day. I have pictures that I can't erase......and I still carry a copy of my WTC-ID card every day.
I guess it's all just a part of life.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Dug

Post by Dug »

Believe me, not upset in the least. I understand where you are coming from completely. Perhaps better to say comprehend, rather than understand. Having not been there, it could be said I will never understand. Many of us here know people who were there. Some are not here anymore. On that day I just felt like I wanted to help so much, and was way up in central MA. Being a boat owner, if I had been in the area, I could perhaps have helped in that way. One of my friends ended up jumping in the river. She is deeply dislikes swimming, even on a clean beach, so I cannot even imagine how it must have been to sway her to choose to jump in to the Hudson there. She worked across the street from the towers, at either Merril Lynch or Lehman. One of the ones that had the front of the building stripped off.

My friend I am not upset at all. Its an inspiring video. To me as a boat owner, I feel like I have something I can use to help that not everyone has. It has come in handy. And I hear you on the ID. I would keep it too.

D
Harv

Post by Harv »

IRGuy wrote: The captain of the Amberjack V is just a blue collar guy making a living, but his basic principles of life are part of what makes this country great!
And I am proud to know him. A few months ago, he offered the services of the boat to our Community group for a celebration party 2 weeks after our 20th Annual festival for Sheepshead Bay..."BAYFEST"!!!
Harv