Hello, again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Been gone quite a while, folks, but Uncle Vic said I should check back in. Many who remember me might know that my boat got totaled by Ike, and I was too under insured to justify buying another. Also, the economy, fuel prices, and fishing regulations have just about killed the charter bidness here on the Gulf Coast. I had retired from my "day job" before the storm, and planned to fish and write in my old age, but even the business of writing about offshore fishing and boating is in a severe down turn.

All is not bad, of course. I bought a little piece of completely undeveloped woods property about 30 minutes from our home, and do a lot of hunting for feral hogs and deer out there. Small property, but surrounded by 2,500 undeveloped acres that isn't hunted. I do still write, do a monthly column for Southern Boating and another for Texas Fish & Game, also Saltwater Texas, a few features a year. Had my first book published a couple of years ago - "Fishing The Texas Gulf Coast" (Lyons Press), which is available through Amazon and other on-line book sellers. Right now I'm trying to move more into writing about hunting and shooting, but it's slow going. Not completely out of the fishing bidness, I'm on the Board of Directors of the National Association of Charterboat Operator's (NACO), but will probably not run for re-election when my current term expires - nor renew my Coast Guard license. Found out there wasn't much demand for hired captains around here anymore, either.

Great to see all the old group still active on here. I am in contact with Uncle Vic daily, of course, but missed the rest of you guys. My new e-mail address is mikewriter@surfsidetx.net, for anyone who wants to get in touch.

Somedays I miss being out of the boat so bad it hurts, really hurts, but when the wind blows too hard, the tide is too low, or too high, or it rains enough to over come a bilge pump (which it hasn't done here in a long, long time), I can at least go back to sleep without needing to drive over a check the lines. Life's a trade-off, I guess.

Capt, Mike Holmes
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mike-Good to hear from you and that you are well. I agree with you that between NOAA, the DEC, Homeland Security/the Coast Guard and the price of fuel, the Charterboat business has gone to hell. Sure has done it for me. They probably wouldn't renew our licenses anyway if the regulations are what I have heard recently. Stay with the site! Walter
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

Walter, nice to hear from you. Last time I renewed I had to get the damn TWIC card, have proof of enrollment in a drug testing program, and promise to carry an alcohol test kit to test myself in case I had an accident. I called Washington and asked if that wasn't self-incrimination, the guy in charge said, "well, some people think so, - but we don't". Most people aren't even aware of all the regs, much less obeying them. Not many captains around me still in business, but a lot more illegal operators have cropped up, and are getting pretty bold. I saw one ad where the guy said he considered his passengers as "crew", and therefore only charged them a small fee to fish. I took this to mean he isn't licensed, doesn't know "crew" on a charterboat have to be drug tested, and isn't following any other regulations, much less properly insured. When it's nearly impossible to operate legally, though, this is what the market will come to.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hello Capt. Mike,

Good to hear from you again, I hope everything is going well for you. By the way, do you still happen to have any pictures from the first UVI that have any pictures of the Short Circuit and crew. I remember that you had a article published with the first UVI, I forget which newspaper fishing paper. Lost most all the pictures and articles I had from Hurricane Ivan. Just PM or email please from the site if there are any available still, be glad to pay you for any of them of course.

Thanks,
Doug
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

Doug, let me check. A lot fo those pictures were slides, but I have a slide to digital converter - if I can find them. Doubt I'll have any copies of Mariner's Log left. They went out of business several years ago, so the office would be no help, ether. I will see what I can do.

Those were good times, good trips - great bunch of boats and guys, and a great location.
Carl

Re: Hello, again

Post by Carl »

Capt. Mike Holmes wrote:Walter, nice to hear from you. Last time I renewed I had to get the damn TWIC card, have proof of enrollment in a drug testing program, and promise to carry an alcohol test kit to test myself in case I had an accident. I called Washington and asked if that wasn't self-incrimination, the guy in charge said, "well, some people think so, - but we don't". Most people aren't even aware of all the regs, much less obeying them. Not many captains around me still in business, but a lot more illegal operators have cropped up, and are getting pretty bold. I saw one ad where the guy said he considered his passengers as "crew", and therefore only charged them a small fee to fish. I took this to mean he isn't licensed, doesn't know "crew" on a charterboat have to be drug tested, and isn't following any other regulations, much less properly insured. When it's nearly impossible to operate legally, though, this is what the market will come to.
Mike, so what your saying is the government in an effort to regulate the industry, to make it safer has forced all the law abiding business people out of business. Now the majority of the Charters are completely un-regulated boat owners. Sounds like the work of the government.

Good to see you back.
Carl
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Understand Mike, it's just whatever you can do without making it into to big of a deal. But yes, very good times down there for sure.

Thanks, Doug
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

I don't think it's regulating to make it safer - just for the sheer joy of regulating. Our red snapper season was open 48 days in the summer - which is not the best time for snapper fishing - with a daily bag limit of 2 fish per person. They said we overfished the quota by a million pounds, because they estimate (with no evidence what-so-ever) that the average size of the fish caught increased by over a pound. Instead of taking that as a sign the fishery is getting stronger, next year's season and quota will be even less. If you mainly fished for snapper, you cannot stay in business in this climate. The TWIC regulation is a backwards effort at increasing national security, but certain non-citizens can petition to be exempted. The whole thign will give you a headache.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I asked for a receipt for what I paid for my TWIC card. They printed one out for me. On the way home I looked at it. The receipt was from Lockheed-Martin! So much for Homeland Security...they farmed it out. How secure is that? Out our way, if you pay $600 for a half-day charter, if you "limit out", you can keep 2 Striped Bass and 3 Fluke that must be over 20 1/2" (hard to do). If you get off the boat, walk 100 yards, you can buy all the Fluke and Striped Bass you can carry. The Fluke are 14" or larger. If your share of the charter was $100 (let's leave the tip off), you can take home a lot more fish legally. All you need is a receipt from a fish market. Seems a bit strange to me. We lost all our New Jersey and Connecticut customers since all our neighboring states have smaller minimum sizes and larger amounts you can keep. And one wonders what's happening to the gene pool? Check out NOAA and the DEC, the problem is all there.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

This should paint a little light on both on whats going on. This person is from Pensacola and he used to be a Charter Capt., so if he says a charade you can believe it.
  • gulf council member resigns
    dale perkin resigned because it's all a charade!!!!!!!!!!!
    News Release Labor Day, 2011 For Immediate Release
    Contact: Captain Dale Perkins 850-982-1930 or DalePerk@aol.com

GULF COUNCIL RED SNAPPER ADVISORY PANEL MEMBER RESIGNS; CALLS THE PROCESS “A CHARADE"

Pensacola, FL
    Citing emails from Steven Atran, Population Dynamics Statistician; Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council; Red Snapper Advisory Panel memberCaptain Dale Perkins resigned on Labor Day. “The whole process is a charade as evidenced by the fact that they schedule meetings to take our input and then go ahead and make decisions without even holding the meetings. I am not going to lend false legitimacy to this charade by allowing my name to be used on a so called committee that has no input. No matter what the data shows, it is always interpreted as a need to reduce Total Allowable Catch. If we are catching to few fish, they say to reduce the quota. If we catch too many, reduce the quota. The fish are too big, reduce the quota. The fish are too small, reduce the quota.” Perkins has unsuccessfully called for a congressional investigation of the fisheries management process in the past. Perkins resignation coincides with a Fox News Business Labor Day special report on Federal Regulatory Strangulation of fishing families.
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

And most of the Lockheed-Martin contract employees who administer the TWIC program have no idea what it is for, or what they are doing - so don't bother asking questions. We can fish snapper in Texas waters 'year 'round, with a smaller minimum size and more generous bag limit - BUT, if you hold a federal reef fish or pelagic permit to charter, you are required to follow the federal rules in state waters. Again, this gives the advantage to those who do not have the "proper" permitting.

Then we have the threat of catch shares, the controversy over sector separation, the new Oceans Policy, the required removal of 3,500 oil platforms in the Gulf over the next few years, and changes to medical requirements for licensing. It isn't going to get any better.

But, I envy those of you who still have their B31's. Cherish them, and keep them proud and shiny. As we all know, they aren't going to make any more of them.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello, again

Doug, I saw that about Dale last week. I "got resigned" from my Advisory panel post (Coastal Pelagics) after about 8 years. Just didn't get selected, so they saved me the trouble of resigning. Of curse,w e hadn't had a meeting in over 5 years, so what was the point.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mike,
Good to hear from you, I got out of the boat manufacturing business, got my SAMS surveyors accreditation, quite fishing the SKA tournment madness, it turned into NASCAR on the water. I had 2 knee replacements and 6 knee and 1 heart operations since I last talked to you, and after all that I still have my 1961 express. Granted it hasn't been in the water for 5 years but I'm replacing parts that I replaced 20 years ago, this time they are all fiberglass. I gave up my USCG 100 ton ticket in 2003 after 7 renewals and haven't fished a tournement since 2003.
I'm in Stuart now if you ever get over here give me a shout. It was good to hear that your still with us.
Good hunting,
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Pete - great to hear from you! I find your card in my wallet every time I have to dig for a credit card that isn't "full"! I know you have tried to sell it, but glad to hear you still have your express. That one certainly can't be replaced. Everybody goes through changes, but it's harder to understand for people who have been so "obsessed" with offshore boats and fishing. I used to hear old captains talk about retiring and moving to the woods - or the Texas Hill Country - and wonder if they'd lost their minds. If i could afford a place near kerrville, Texas, now, I wouldn't care if I never saw the Gulf again. Especially an angry Gulf.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike,

Good to "see your face!"

Sounds like things have been busy for sure. I know and imagine the desire to be on the water when boatless. I get it completely.

Glad things are well overall. And you've been missed!

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mike: Glad to hear from you. Sorry about the boat, but I hope you will "hang around" anyway!! Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Rawleigh! Great to hear from you! I was in New Orleans in July and ran into an old friend of yours, he said to tell you the "shrimp pimp" says hello!

Like I said earlier, good times!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Dug, not intending to leave you out, I think you were the first of the "Old crew" whose posts I saw when i logged on the other day. Hope things have been well. Did you and liz get married, if I am not too bold in asking?

Yep, some days I find myself reaching for the gears and throttles, getting ready to spin the old boat around, or try to put it someplace it doesn't really want to go. I had just switched from single lever to dual controls, and with the 22" props, those Cummins would put it just about anywhere. Sure miss it.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mike!
Welcome back. Have throughly enjoyed our email exchanges over the years and your articles in Southern Boating. Remember Black Sheep well and the email exchanges as we both struggled with restoration of our expresses. Dreamsicle is getting better by the year, except for the crappy paint from Awl grip. Still fighting that loosing battle.
At least once a week I quote your Bertram website byline, "There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats." That has to be the essence of who we all are. Whether we fish offshore, or just cruise we all love just messing around in boats.
If you get up to Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay I know an express with Cummins that would love to have you at her helm.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Mike
Glad you are hanging in there. The charter bis in the mid Chesapeake is a mess with, well this and that not to include poaching off of Va Beach in the Jan to Feb time frame
Hold your own we will survive
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

Great to see you back. You were the King of Varnish with your B31. Nice to see a UVI shirt in an Avatar too!

Best regards,

Tom
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Thanks, guys. Good to be back among friends. Sorry I was away so long, just needed to mourn.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt. Mike, I echo the others in saying that you have been missed. I was hoping that you were at least lurking since you were not posting (I go that route at times). I still have one of one of your articles in my Bertram scrapbook ("Recycled" was the title, I think). Anyway, great to hear from you!

Tommy
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Welcome Back. Remember this is family. Once one of the faithfull always one of the faithfull.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Tommy and Tony - appreciate the welcome and the sentiments. As much as I've missed the boat and the water, in many ways it was good for me to explore other avenues in life. I had not been more than 100 miles from the coast for years, and then just on my yearly visits to see my family. The wife and I have been traveling our great state a lot more, visiting her family in far north Texas, attending Texas Outdoor Writer's Association meetings In the Hill Country and down the the Rio Grande Valley - and everywhere in between. I have been doing a little deer hunting in South Texas - which is quite an experience, need to try to visit Capt. Pat on one of my rambles.

Not good to be a "one-trick pony", I've found out, finally.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

I'd be be an unhappy camper if ya'll didn't drop by the next time you're in the central part of the state!

Here's how to get here...

Capt. Mike Holmes

Llano

Pat, I'll make a effort to get out that way one of these days, and I'll call when i can come by. I know I'll be going to New Braunfels in late February, not sure of any other trips in that general direction coming up yet, but could be.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike, nope, not married yet. Take it up with her. Its not for lack of trying on my part...

:)

Dug
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Better hurry Mike, I hear Patricks next project is a moat and a crows nest....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt. Mike Holmes

Hello!

Mike, in that area, he might need it, and warning signs in both English and Spanish.

Dug, there are pros and cons to the marriage thing. I've been through it four times now, made a friend promise if I ever get "free" again and talk of getting hitched another time, he'll shoot me and put me out of my misery.