Texas Fires Drought and Heat.. EveryOne OK....???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Texas Fires Drought and Heat.. EveryOne OK....???

Post by tunawish »

With all the talk lately about the hurricanes, rains and flooding..... How are all you guys in Texas doing with the drought and heat...??

Looks like the central part of the state is in trouble with some nasty fires ..

How's Capt. Pat.. He's in the thick of it isn't he..???

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ray,

It's been a brutal summer to say the least... Over 90 days of 100+ºF and very little, if any, rain over most of the state. Fires have destroyed tens of thousands acres, mainly in the north and west areas f the state. A fire east of Austin consumed nearly 8,000 acres and close to 500 homes on Sunday.

We did get a break with the heat starting Sunday. A cold front moved in dropping the temperature to tolerable levels. Yesterday's high was only 88ºF with a low this morning of 48ºF. Next week will be back to 90s and 60s, but hopefully no more triple digit afternoons...

No relief in sight for the drought conditions. Almost the entirety of the state is under an extreme to exceptional drought condition.

Worst I've seen in my life time, but better than carrying 60 pounds of gear in the desert and getting shot at by towel heads...

tunawish

Post by tunawish »

CaptPatrick wrote:Ray,
Worst I've seen in my life time, but better than carrying 60 pounds of gear in the desert and getting shot at by towel heads...
Capt,
Good to hear your OK and can still keep your perspective and humor... Hang in there fall's coming...
John F.

Post by John F. »

Good to hear that your OK.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Glad to hear you are okay, Cappy -- I wish we could send you some of the rain we've had -- God knows you need more than we do! Must be global warming! Now I done it, ha, this should be fun!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Since September 2010, we've had 4.67 inches of rain at the farm. My forester estimates we've lost 18% of our timber. Just waiting on a cigarette to take the other 82%. Sold all of the cattle earlier this summer. Can't afford to feed them even with beef prices so high.

Heard this morning that we have lost an area the size of Connecticut to fire this year.

On a bright note, the fishing offshore has been outstanding. Again, beats running around in the desert with a weapon.
Viva la Presidente!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Since September 2010, we've had 4.67 inches of rain at the farm.
Tom, I'll see your 4.67" and reduce it to 2.5" for the same period...
Again, beats running around in the desert with a weapon.
What would we be if it weren't for Weapons, Women, & Whiskey?