Hull Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Diego

Hull Paint

Post by Diego »

Hey guys, looking for some info on bottom paint. I keep my boat out of the water in a hangar, and i was wondering what options i have in bottom paint seeing that i really don't have the need for anti fouling. Any suggestions?

Dp
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Marlin

Bottom paint

Post by Marlin »

leave it alone if u have no issues when leaving the boat in for short periods , after 4 days I see some barnacle growth in the warm southern waters , i scrub with a white scotch rite pads, they don't abraded the gel coat and the marine growth is still soft
Diego

Post by Diego »

Thanks Marlin, yea my boat is in the water for no more than 5 days at a time. But I thinks it's time to re paint. You recommend removing all old paint, sanding down and starting from scratch?
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Diego

Is the bottom smooth or is the current paint peeling. If it is smooth no need to sand to the gel coat. Maybe just a light sanding to get adhesion. But if you still have paint on the bottom and are not seing through to the gel coat why paint. For the 5 days in the water with the paint you have you probably are fine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey Tony, there are some areas that are starting to chip. Also there are some small areas i would like to touch up from small logs and stuff. I also was thinking about changing the color. Not sure what choice of paint/antifouling to go with for the job.
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Diego,

This article may help you decide on your choice of bottom paint:

http://www.greencleandiver.com/Bottom-Paint.html

Br,

Patrick
Marlin

Hull paint

Post by Marlin »

I keep a bigger sport fish on a boat lift, use it several times a week, it had a Pettit bottom, switched to an interlux product, the paint tended to have a crackle, mud cake finish, ground it off, re artist coated and applied Pettit vivid and have had no problems for the last 4years, in the south they aggressively sand and paint, I had the bottom redone this spring in the great lakes and their recommendation was to follow the manufactures recommendations and wipe the bottom with paint thinner ,no sanding and coat it, time will tell, sanding is becoming a marina hazardous situation in south Florida, the yard in Lantana Fl will not allow anyone to wash there boat after sanding because the chemicals in the city water when mixed withPAINT and then spill into the waterway create a hazard, the EPA literally shut down several marine in this area until they re Lu bed there drainage systems, go figure
Diego

Post by Diego »

Thanks for the help everyone!
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Diego,
This topic was on the board a few months ago, and it was tillted to the brand VC Offshore performance epoxy. I also keep my boat on a lift and don't need the anti fouling properties like anyone who keeps there boat in the water. The paint is shiny and hard, and doesn't look like crap like most bottomm paints. Hope that this offers another solution.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice, that helps a lot. I think i will go with that option.

Diego
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I brought that up a while back. I was hoping to have had the job done and had some results posted. Unfortunately the yard I use was sold and the management has changed. VC Performance Epoxy was my decision based on research and advice given here. I still want to do it but my pockets are not deep enough right now.