Portable generator

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Portable generator

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm looking for some recommendations. I don't have shore power down at the dock or a generator on the boat. I do have functioning shore power installed on the boat.

I'd like to be able to

Run power tools down at the boat
Charge the batteries when necessary

Plug into my shore power when on the hook
While I don't have much on the boat currently I'd like the ability to power an AC unit if I decided to add one to the boat, fridge, micro and coffee maker.

I'm trying to figure out the right balance between a light, portable unit and one that can power everything I mentioned.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Go to Marine Mate and check out their generators.They sell Kipor generators which are a knockoff of the Yamahas but alot cheaper. I've had mine for 5 years with no issues.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I don't own one, but everyone says the Honda 1000 or 2000 watt units are far & away the best....I've heard 'em run and they are almost silent. Several of the Faithful have them. On the other hand, Honda is real proud of 'em.

Bruce, don't you have one?

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Ditto on what UV said. I use one on my Bertram for a couple yrs.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have used both the Honda and the Yamaha 2000. I own the Yamaha. They both work great. Both are really quiet.
Some things about the Yamaha I like are the fuel gauge in the gas cap and the fuel shut off valve which allows you to run the carb dry when you are done with it.
I do not think the Honda had those features, but the honda was a few years back and they may have made it better since then.
They will both run a 9K or 10K BTU air conditioner with out a problem as long as econo mode is off. I have not tried a hard start capacitor or "soft start" by Dometic yet but it is on the list to try it.
Price for the units is fairly close if I recall correctly. 900ish new.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I have the Honda 1000 and its been great. Worked thru 3 hurricanes. Great on fuel.

I took it up to Bowling Green last year for the Hot Rod Reunion cause I ended up sleeping at the track in the car trailer and the main 6kw set was just too loud to run at night.

It ran the roof top ac unit from 9pm to 8am on one tank of fuel and also powered two battery chargers at the same time.

It puts out a good sine wave safe for use with electronics. When I bought it it was 698 shipped to me. I think they up around 900 now.

Those Kipor gen sets look interesting. Ed how many hours have you run it?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Me too on the Honda 1000. Great little machine.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I have about 8 tankfulls of gas thru it. I figure around fifty hours or so. It gets alot of intermittent use running tools and inflating rafts, charging the batteries when my daughter puts on the subwoofer. THe thing hasn't hiccuped yet and aside for bad gas issues it's the only gas powered tool I have that hasn't required a carb rebuild. It's slightly louder than the Honda but not terribly so and it was so much cheaper. I think I paid $600 .
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

There are 3 portable generators I think highly of -- Honda, Honda and Honda!!!!!

Quiet, great on fuel, and easily transported.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I have the Honda 2000. The knob that turns it off, also shuts off the fuel. Just inside the removable cover is a carb bowl drain with a hose that gets the fuel out of the case.

Great unit. If you decide on the Honda, Google search Wise Equipment. Last I checked, they were just under $900.00 no tax and shipping paid.

Eddy G.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I emailed wise and got a price of $880 on the Honda 2000. The kipor 2000 is about $600. Mixed reviews online, mostly positive but getting parts when they go down seem to be a possible issue.

Maybe someone can give me some additional technical info. It seems like a reverse cycle AC unit for the boat needs 115v 30 amp service, 5000 BTU unit. And you need to daisy chain two units to run Something like this.

Since I don't have AC and may not for some time and the 2000watt units may not run them anyway. Would a 1000 unit be a better bargain to run power tools, a portable heater in the winter etc?
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Pete some guys on here have ran I think 7-10,000 btu with no problem with a 2000EU. I think I read some where someone ran a 12,000 on one but don't realy think posiable. I might try to run my 12,000 on my portable gen but I think its a 2500 colmen. (paid $50 @ yard sale)
1976 FBC
3208 NA
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Frank,
Kevin said something similar. Just based on specs it doesn't seem to line up and that's why I asked the question.

Ed,
I ordered a new seat for the head at marine mate during the week. I have to go tomorrow to pick it up I'll check out the kipor. For a savings of $250 it's worth considering.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Come over and borrow it, take it for a test ride. I thought it would be a throw away when I bought it so I never really took care of it. Still has the original oil in the crankcase. surprised me by lasting this long.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ed,

I may take you up on that. At this point I'm looking at the fall and winter and want to run a small space heater and power tools to get work done.

Running it on the hook won't come into play until next year.

Pete
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete,

Buy the Honda 1000 and don't think about it any more. It runs the AC unit on my dad's 36' Hunt with no problem. We just took it to the canyon last night and it runs all night long. It will handle just about anything you can come up with, and is awesome. Don't over complicate or analyze it. Just buy it.

Great little genset.

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter there is one other alternative . phoenix associates have changed there type of work so we have two yamaha diesel generators sitting idle one i use as a back up to my house at 5000w the other is a 3000w that runs all day on 1 gallon of fuel.also runs on fuel oil,cooking oil . if you want to try it give me a ring.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.boemarine.com/Honda_EU2000i_ ... r-EU2000i/

Peter

Not sure how much BOE has these on sale for but give them a try.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Some truckers are running the Honda 2000 for up to 10 hours keeping a 5000btu window unit going.
The trick is the automatic throttle. It throttles up when the compressor kicks on needing somewhere around 1700 watts (from what I can calculate on my unit). Then it throttles down once the compressor is running or off.
Just met a guy the other day....he loves it. All night, one tank.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oops that is yanmar diesel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Peter- we run a Honda 2000 for our crew team's chuck wagon tent. Thing has run all day on weekends for several years with nary a problem. Go with it, you will be happy.

Just remember gas gennies need lots of ventilation or they can kill you!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Fellas,
I have a 25 yr old 2200 Honda that weighs about 70 lbs or so and is quieter than a Coleman but nothing like the IU that your talking about. It's got a vunch of trouble free hours, but not real light and a little loud to go on the Bertram. It's a true Honda and not the Mickey Mouse one's that you see at Home Depot. Does anyone know the difference in mine and the new IU's?

Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You have an engine that turns an AC generator. The new ones generate DC and then invert it to AC. The inverter puts out proper sine wave, 60 cycle power. Yours is probably close, but if the throttle control isn't just right you'll get anywhere from 57 to 63 cycles.

The new ones are lighter quieter, more efficient, and better (on a small scale).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mike,
Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I've hesitated on this decision. Ran out last night everyone is sold out of everything. I called wise first thing this morning and they are overnighting me the Honda 2000.

Can I run both home refrigerators at once with this one?

Wouldn't be shocked if it fell off the truck before making it to my door.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Probably no more than about 12-14 amps of constant load. Now you are needing spec data on what your Frig compressor what it will spike too when it kicks in while running. Unless they are small friges you are probably not going to be able to run two. You will be lucky to run one regular size frig.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Peter,

During Charlie in 2004, I ran my 5500 watt Porter Cable and kept a freezer/refrigerator, a freezer in the garage, my little beer fridge, two fans and some lights going for two weeks. When some of the tv stations came back on line, I just shut down some lights and one of the fans to watch some tv at night. I put my boat back on the lift by running the genset down to the dock long enough to power the lift up and then back up by the side of the house to run the imoportant stuff like the beerator.

Keep safe during this. These things are not fun at all and extremely dangerous. We went up to Punta Gorda to get away from Charley when it was thought that it was coming up the Caloosahatchee river just 4 blocks from my house. It changed course at the last minute and went up Charlotte Harbor instead and right over the top of my in laws condo on the third floor. It totally destroyed the complex, ripping the roof off and shooting a 2x4 straight into a fridge in the kitchen. It destroyed everything except my Avalange. We were lucky, so you all stay safe and good luck.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Big difference between 5500w & 2000w gen. on what can be used at one time.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Glad I bit the bullit and bought thr 20KW.We will see!!!!
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Looks like you will get to use it Russ (unfortunately). Good luck!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Glad I bit the bullit and bought thr 20KW
I hope it runs on natural gas or you have a plan to feed that thing.

Fuel is hard to come by when the power is out, gas pumps no run. The big gensets are great for a few days because you can run the entire house and have your AC, which keeps momma real happy! After a few days you'll spend a lot of time trying to come up with enough fuel to keep it running (10-15 gallons a day).

Guys down here were making 100-150 mile round trips to the Houston area with their low-boy trailers...loaded down with gas cans. You would see 18ft trailers covered with little 5 gal cans running around everywhere...LOL What a sight.

I was lucky, I had a boat that stayed upright in the driveway with 75 gallons of gas in it. One of my neighboors ended up using some of that gas in his truck...to go buy more gas!!

Good luck guys.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My 8kw Kohler runs for about 48 hours with the entire house running, including AC, on a 6 gallon tank. So, the Whaler is pulled, and its two fuel tanks are full, and with the 18 gallon gas tank I bought for the generator 2 years ago -- I'm hoping the power will be back on, way before I run out of fuel. Otherwise, oh boy are we in trouble!
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

guys, 500 gal propane, good for 10 days after that start hunting for food and shelter...Best of luck to all. hope I can say this God bless...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

I picked up a Honda EU2000i last night on the way home from work. They had two left! $ 999 + 6% for the governor but I have peace of mind. I'll be able to run my sump pump and use it on the boat when this non-sense is over. (assuming I still have a boat!!)

JD
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

The little AC unit for sleeping at nite Scott mentioned let me keep my sanity for 11 days w/o after Gustauv.
Good luck to everyone.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
scot

Post by scot »

Andre,

I ran from Gustauv and felt pretty cowardly when it complenty missed us! It hooked a right and fading to the east in the last 48 hours and banged right into you guys! Your right, a little baby 8000 BTU window unit saves the bacon after a storm. I have 1 stashed away in the attic!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

i have a honda 3500.....runs the pump, fridge, lights and if the cable dosent go down (right) the puter.
In Memory of Vicroy

Good luck to you guys, just keep your heads....I have a 21 KW Next Gen with a Kubota engine and a 275 gallon diesel farm tank that will run my entire house for about 28 days.....go dieesel if you can, huge difference in how they start big a/c compressors, run multiple Hi Maintaince Women's stuff, etc. My 21 uses about 10 gallons a day. I ran it for 13 days after Gustav without ever shutting it down....12 after Katrina.

And....I'm back from TSL in Panama where I got a real nice 69th birthday present, a 500# Black Marlin.....scratch that from the Bucket List....and my son & son in law each caught a big blue....their fleet is now up to 17 B31s and I'll write some more after this storm is past.

Be safe.

UV
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

im 99.9% sure Marine Mate doesnt sell the Kipor anymore, I think he had them that one season and that was it

I start looking at generators and make myself crazy- like should I get natural gas? if I do it comes to the point for a little more money I can get a actual standby unit for the house- then I think I have only needed it for a day or so in the last how many years- so do I really need it>?
Then I think just get a gas 5000-6000 watt one, then I start this whole thing over again until I get distracted with something else and give up on the whole idea.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:I start looking at generators and make myself crazy- like should I get natural gas? if I do it comes to the point for a little more money I can get a actual standby unit for the house- then I think I have only needed it for a day or so in the last how many years- so do I really need it>?
Then I think just get a gas 5000-6000 watt one, then I start this whole thing over again until I get distracted with something else and give up on the whole idea.
Robbie

It is like owning a life raft. You spend 3.5 grand, and think why did I do that when I never use it. Then one day you use it, and say best money I ever spent. It is all relative.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Tony Meola wrote: Robbie

It is like owning a life raft. You spend 3.5 grand, and think why did I do that when I never use it. Then one day you use it, and say best money I ever spent. It is all relative.
life and death versus taking a cold shower and having no television- the reasonable ( or cheap ) side of me says I should spend the money elsewhere
randall

Post by randall »

its the water pump and the fridge. out here the electricity used to go out if it got cloudy.....much better now but the two weeks after gloria got my attention.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Did you make it through OK Randall? How about Walter and the others?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Just got back from Montauk. Untied my boat from the slip we moved it to and ran it to my regular one. One popped snap in my canvas! Spectacular day! We did not lose power, but strangely, several around me did, as did Southampton Hospital. Other than lots of leaves and branches, a few downed trees, I can honestly say, we've had far worse. What a hype job!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Walter K

It's great that you and the rest are alright and the boats fared well too. The hype is always there and if nothing else, it made everyone more responsive to the storm and most prepared well for it. We are just thankful that the hype didn't come totally true and we should not let our guard down for when the next storm comes around. I guess you could call it a drill for when the big one does hit.

After 5 in a two year period, I'm probably a little over cautious, or at least my wife thinks so.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Dug

Post by Dug »

Robbie, an alternative is to have a transfer switch put in and an external plug in. Then you can buy a genset that runs only what you need, and you don't have to have the big box outside. And it is portable. To go back to the life raft analogy, its like having a fixed cannister mount vs. a valise pack.

After our ice storm 2-3 years ago, we were out for 4 days. I had my Honda 2000, and it was great for keeping the fridge and freezer cold. But it did nothing for the well pump, septic pump, etc.

I put in the external connection, and the transfer switch, and now I can run the necessary stuff, and turn off the ancillary stuff. But it will enable us to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter. And if I need a bigger genset (I think we have a 5000 now, maybe a 6000. Its a family unit...we share), I can go get one. And there are portables that are diesel, etc. I thought it was a good option.

Dug
In Memory of Vicroy

A couple of points on big fixed gensets: be careful with the automatic transfer switches as they will start the set whether you like it or not. I do not use one, instead have a 200 amp manual transfer switch. I do not want the generator running when I'm not here, too dangerous. Second, if you have a manual switch, install an indicator light to show when the pole power comes back on. Sounds dumb, but at my house it is hard to tell since most of the neighbors have generators too. I have a simple light fixture mounted on the transfer switch with a green bulb and a switch that is wired to the pole side of the switch. Green light means pole power is back on. And finally, by all means drive a separate ground rod for the gneset and use heavy - say #2 - wire from the generator ground to the rod. Makes the genset work a lot better and keeps the load balanced between the two 240v legs.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dug: You OK with all of that flooding going on??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Rawleigh,

We were spared. We are east enough that we escaped with minor water. If it had been 100 miles to the east, or even 50 I guess, we would have been, in a manner of speaking, screwed. Or at least swimming again. But this time the power held, and we made it through with only minor wet.

Thanks for asking! We were braced, expecting and prepped for the worst!

Dug
Raybo Marine NY

I ordered a 3000 yamaha today, bit more then I wanted to spend on a portable but it was after discussing this matter with a good buddy who I have learned over the years to listen to the advice he gives me.

He loaned me a 25 year old Kawasaki generator, he has given me this thing in the past to hold for him at my shop knowing I will be diligent enough to run it now and then and keep it inside the back shop clean and dry for him in exchange for the day I might have to use it.

He told me- dont buy a $600 one from Home Depot or Lowes, and dont buy a Chinese made back up genny which most of the box stores sell.

He said he paid $800 for this Kawasaki right before Hurricane Gloria ( 1985 ) and everyone thought he was crazy. He has god knows how many hours on it, it starts every single time on one pull, its really not that loud, and get this- it has fallen off his boat into the salt water TWICE.

he told me what I basically already knew- you buy something cheaper and good luck getting parts for it in a few years and you better hope the thing works when you want it to.

I do work for local kawasaki, honda, and yamaha dealers, if kawasaki still sold generators I would have bought one- my theory is they made them so damm well no one ever bought another one! So I went with the yamaha, has a 3 year warranty and I extended it for another $39.

I am going to have a electrician make it where I can safely plug the generator in to power the oil burner so I can have heat in the winter and always have hot water, obviously the fridge, and I am going to install a sump jet in the basement as a back up for the sump pump- who knew they made water powered sump pumps? I didnt until the day of the storm otherwise that thing would have been down there years ago.

When I got home I had power again at the house- so I know darn well if I hadn't ordered that thing earlier today I would have procrastinated myself out the idea .