Fast flybridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

captbone

Fast flybridge

Post by captbone »

Amazing speed for a 35ft boat with only 700hp and small props.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-201 ... 0023wt_994
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

And after spending all that money, what do you have in 10 years?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Walter K wrote:And after spending all that money, what do you have in 10 years?
A boat? that needs new 50k worth of new lightbulbs...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

and john sure as hells knows! tell the board whats happening with the harbor rib patrol boats with 350hp yamaha`s. we love them at oakdale yacth as of now you bet your life on it. every dual/triple yamaha set of 250/300/350 will have at least one engine return to us for major repair (lower unit/powerhead) at the four year mark out of warrante . keeps the outboard repair shop employee`s working during lean times.
Last edited by bob lico on Sep 9th, '11, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

45mph on a 35ft flybridge Luhrs with 350 gallons of fuel is still nothing to sneeze at from twin 350hp Yamahas. That is a big boat with a 30mph+ cruise getting 1mpg is impressive.

We have been down the durability, longevity, cost, disadvantages of outboards before but those numbers are still impressive.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

When you start having to replace lowers every 300hrs because yamaha thought it would be allright to use the same gear cases as the 250hp engines... Watching the fuel gauges on the boats at work reading 65gph is far from funny...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
captbone

Post by captbone »

Speed always comes at a cost and 1 mpg is just about what 454s do at cruise in the 31 bertram and this boat is much larger. The ability to cruise above 30mph on calm days is very nice.

According to the Yamaha part diagrams, the 350hp's use completely different gearcases and gear sets?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

The internals of the gearcases are not beefy enough for the 350hp different or not, they go every 300hrs when used in a commercial enviornment in a boat that weighs almost half the lures... There is no significant advantage or benefit on a boat like that especially for the money that he is asking...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
captbone

Post by captbone »

All of the recreational reports have been great on the F350hp Yamahas. They have proven to be quiet, powerful and reliable. Top builders from Jupiter, Intrepid, Grady....... all use them.

The advantages of the outboard are the draft, speed and easy of maintaince.

The purpose of me posting this was to show impressive fuel economy and speed in an extremely large sportfisherman nothing more.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Sorry, being an open forum and all just wanted to throw my opinion and experience up here... I have no issues with yamaha products, I have owned yami's from 3hp up to 250hp and never had any issues in the recreational world on fairly light boats that ive owned, not rec boats that weigh 14k and are designed for traditional running gear... Extreme speed in a small sport-fish means nothing (to me) and in my opinion these engines are far from easy to work on unless its just basic maintenance, fuel filters, oil change etc... I work for a unit that has at least 16 of the 350's we have multiple techs that have been sent to several levels of yamaha school and are considered yamaha master technicians yet we still have to have real deal yamaha techs come in direct from yamaha and scan the o/b's with their complicated laptops and what not to find out why they mysteriously shut down with out explanation while turning 1500rpm... just sayin...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The wonderful world of computerized engines thanks to the DEC and EPA. There IS no way you and I can do anything to get us back home when one stops. You have to have 2 completely independent engines for security.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I didn't view the link, but marvel at the differences in ride quality that is available out there.

I went offshore on Thursday night. The wind got up and started to kick at about 3-3:30 am, and by 4 it was howling. And I mean whistling through the rig. Big waves. I ended up sick on my own boat. The Bertram 31 is not a boat to be out there on in that weather. Not by choice. We had honest 3-6 foot weather, with a few 8 footers thrown in for good measure. Remember that is from top of wave to halfway down. Not bottom of trough to top. Steep too. We took it on the bow all the way home. It took us 6.5 hours, running 12-14 knots all the way. It sucked.

About 35 miles to go it had laid down to 2-4 with a few 5 or 6 footers thrown in. I kept thinking that if I were on the big center console that a buddy of mine owns, we would be running 45-50 at this point. Yes, we would. I've done it. And it would be comfortable too. Instead I barely ate or drank all day, and felt like shit the next day too. Boat took a pounding. Creaks all over.

I love my boat. But it ain't designed to top that kind of water. Its just not. Some of the big outboards run through it. To be honest, I would have liked nothing shorter than 40 feet. Actually I got passed by a 38-42' Silverton for Chrissake. Best thing I ever did was repower, but the worst thing I ever did was repower. Now I want to go, but it will kill my boat.

Look, some people keep thier boats for ever. Some do not. But that center console is looking better and better... After that trip anyway... That or a big boat I don't want to afford...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Interesting perspective dug.

Looking at the boat in question. If it's being fished the issue is how do you land a fish, in a center console boat you work the fish to the side no issues on a convertible those motors are in the way. Maybe the owner isn't a fisherman?

I can't speak to the longevity of the 350s but I will take others word for it. What I do know is the 3 or 4 guys I know that have 350s on their boat don't tend to hold onto them for more then a few years. Any big issue and they say to their dealer get me a new boat, my check book is wide open.

That all being said that boat does seem to move with 700 horses.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

lets talk dug. please don`t condemn the boat . the problem is the boat is out of balance please talk to mike o. i could show you and prove balance is wrong .can you come to oakdale yacth? the engine are to light per 31 bertram spec.oringinal balance at aft bulkhead with 454`s or equivalent weight gas engines. the original sling lift points on my boat are now aft. 18". i was out there with anthony fishing the same day at 15 knt. no problem with open coffee cup in hand.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

Most days, I am happy doing 20-25mph at cruise because I am in no rush and enjoy being on the water. But other days, its is just time to get home and that extra speed does help.

I have several very close friends that have "downgraded" from 40-50ft Sportfishers to 36ft+ Contenders, Yellowfins, Intrepids,.......... The easy of maintain and ability to hold on and light the boilers on the way home is what changed their minds. It came down to time for them offshore. With the outboard powered boats, they could leave early in the morning, fish all day 60-80+miles offshore and then come home for a late dinner. They just could not do the overnight trips or the 6 hour return trips anymore.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

8 footers are 8 footers. Center console or not I don't that would be a comfortable ride either. It has to be wet and one mistake at that speed in those seas it is all over.

No boat is perfect but like Bob said, maybe it is time to shift the weight. Time for lead in the bilge.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony we were what i estimate to be 3 to 5' no boat would be happy in 8 footers what i want to do is keep the bow from "digging in" in racing we call it "stuffing it " .-----------------bad move. just trying to make the stern slide slide down the back of the wave with the bow half way up the next wave and let the boat power over the crest bow proud all the way speed is not important getting your ass kicked must be avoided. meanwhile thats all i did for years drive big center consoles. 38' jupiter triple 350hp yamaha`s bump to 403 hp 1200 hp+ cannot get up on plane drove all the way home at 5mph in 6 to 8 footers. 36 fountain wot 68mph drove home at 5mph totally impossible to put up on plane.i have no idea what the hell you guys are thinking this is the real deal no bullship your reading in magazines!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

Agreed that no boat is happy in 8 footers.

But as Dug said, the last 35 miles were 2-4 with occasional 5/6s. That is something that a large 35ft+ OB boat can make 40mph+ in.

As much as we pound our chest that our Bertrams can go through the worst conditions, (which they can) in reality 98% of the time it is less then 4ft and you can boogie in the right boat. If we were all planning for the 2% and basing all of our decision on Canyon fishing then I would be running 42 Bruno. But I suspect that the vast majority of people here use their boat for other things also. 90% of the use of my boat is cruising, tubing, clamming and cocktailing. To have a boat focused solely around offshore is a mistake for the vast majority.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, the boat was tail heavy. I had nearly 300 gallons of fuel in the tanks just about up against the transom when we left and I burned a total of 150 gallons so say 3/4 of the way into the trip, I still have 200-225 gallons back there at 9 lbs per gallon. That is a conservative 1800 lbs. of fuel. And I had 400 plus pounds of ice. Plenty of stern weight.

Yep, it got me home. I was not worried. Patrick said it great at the rendezvous, "Brewster does not choose to go out in weather like that, but he is prepared to come home in it if he has to." And that is exactly what happened.

I never advocated full speed or even 40 plus in 8 footers. I'm not insane. But the inability to get up on top of the waves and go over the tops, which I have done on that Fountain (no, I don't want a fountain.) is completely different. Yes, the second half of the ride home I could have lit it up in a CC of that size.

I guess I just have a quandary. Look, most of us don't enjoy that type of boating or we would have that type of boat. I don't hate my B31. I have had her for 12 years and put a crap load of time and money into her. Clearly I love my boat. But the canyon is a required overnight, and my time is becoming limited. I see it becoming even more so.

And I got the crap kicked out of me on a ride home that could well have been more comfortable, and faster, for much of it. There is a clear place for the big outboards. They are fast, comfortable, and greatly expand your day boating range. Hell, BI is a 1.25 hour ride for me in my boat. It would be 30-45 minutes in much bigger snot on a boat as described. More time on the island! And the Vineyard becomes a 1.5 hour ride rather than a 3.5 hour ride. Again, with strong possibility of more comfort. Again, its all in what you are looking for.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i agree with capt. bone if your soul use of a boat is overnight canyon then you need a quality downeasterner like bruno stillman/duffey/ the list goes on and on so other then brewster whom relies on his for business most guys do a llittle coastal offshore mix with family fun. i promise i will photo one of each big cc. that cannot get up on plane even using the very dangerous bob lico method to get a cc or performance boat on plane with one engine down in a large wave situation better yet never,never break plane coming home in that situation if you know the speed the the boat breaks plane stay at it at all cost. most of our customers are astounded when they cannot get that big cc on plane with triple 350hp outboards.we have 37 acres at this site and 39 down the road and catered to big cc. the yard boys built steel 20' deep vee cc supports so the cc we can fork lift a 40' cc out of water after use and place on pre. made support instead of blocking it up.$ 357 big ones means no bottom paint so you either have lift (big bucks at marina ) or you remove and wash after every use.we have rows of them and replace lower units while on these platforms. moral of post the green is always greener on the other side!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I cruise at 28 mph and burn 22 gph in my 33 with my Cummins diesels and that's babying them at 2400rpms. I'd be willing to bet I spent a lot less on my repower than he did and my Cummins will likely last at least twice as long as the OB's. Seems like a stupid idea to me.
Regards,

Doug L.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

doug if you have proper alarms most of all low level coolant sensor then you can expect at least 10 times the life of big 350/300 outboards. on a cool damp day my broken shoulder reminds me of more reality not in the magazines! you drive that 35cc in dug`s case and you go thru 87---- 4' waves at 45mph on the 88 wave mother nature sends in a 8' plus gotcha! the cc will fly thru the air at 45mph for 30' much more at 70mph the bow will tilt port or starboard .how you hit that next wave is shear luck you have no control in the air other then a pro driver whom would pre-load the steering wheel while in the air but that a different situation because you are in a padded bolster.the boat will come crashing down somebody will be shedding blood. ask me how i know and i pre -warned the people hanging on the vertical piping to the leaning post/top. the average guy with a brain would rather take his lumps at 5 to 7 mph in a 63mph cc.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

9 out of 10 times, it will be calm enough offshore to go 30mph in a 36ft center console. Its not always victory at seas with blood gushing and monster 10ft mid ocean breakers coming over the bow

If the (average guy, not commercial) ran the numbers and calculated days were it was possible to run fast vs rough days 6ft+ seas, the answer would be obvious.

I completely understand the idea of longevity in diesel over outboards. No arguement here on that but if we always followed that idea then we would all being driving early 1980s diesel mechanical cars with 250k miles on them. Sometime new is nice. I know that I enjoy new things sometime even if the old one is not worn out. It doesnt make sense but then again boat is not really an investment anyway. I know that I would be excited to repower my boat after 10 years. I would want the new technology and upgrades that repowering affords. I cant wait to repower my old outboard with a new four stroke.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, I agree that shit weather is shit weather. No debate.

We pick our weather either way. Either in a 31 Bertram or a mid 30' range cc. But if you get the right day and the weather man does not screw the pooch like he did last week (and he did!), then the cc can make sense.

Agreed, if the waves are that big, you get a beatin' either way...

D
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

here you go dug my friends 38' fountain ,triple 300hp , wot 63mph in the sea you describe 5mph if you tuck in engines and go with 15 degrees down tab you can make 7 to 8 mph. btw. so far one powerhead and one lower unit not bad at 15,000 he about average, however this hull is at least 3mph faster then the average 38' cc with same power due to air slots and pad but better wear a safety harness when she flys she flys. i would put my money on neils kid in bob h bahia- mar.or a sedan.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a photo explanation of my above post. this is one of the giant forklifts can lift a 40, cc and put on stands in 5 minutes . i included photo of stand for those how want a photo.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, my buddy with the 38' Fountain cuddy has 3 - 275 hp Verado's. He has replaced all the lower units at $6000 per engine. No doubt. But Verado has a new and redesigned lower unit now, which is intended to be more durable.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that is unusual i never see the center motor lose a lower unit. mercury varado lower unit hold up much better than the 350hp yamaha unit . the one ray of hope is if you used that bob lico loop effect you can get up on plane with one down. mercury varado can always borrow technology from there racing outdrive division. look at the photo above that is a outer limit 38' with twin 1000hp mercruisers those outdrives have the gear coolers on them (stainless flex. pipe) this is a fishing boat at 105mph ------some guys have a need for speed i can`t figure this out~~~~~~~~!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

OB Lower units are vulerable because it contains F-N-R and 90 degree turn. That alot is a 5 inch bullet. But they still live a normal life if not abused.

Sterndrive lower units are just the 90 degree turn with all gearing done with cone clutches in the upper. That Outer limits speed boat has either SCI 600 or SCI 700s. Anything over 700hp and Mercury uses the double pinion NXT drives or the #6 drive.

The new Seven Marine 550hp outboard uses a transmission in the midsection. They will easily be able to get 700hp out of that package with no lower unit issues.
scot

Post by scot »

Nevermind the general "wrongness" of something like that, my question is; where are you suppose to fish on that boat? A 35ft convertible with 4ft on each side of the aft cockpit to fish from. The entire transom is not only out of the game, it's a major liability when attempting to fish from that boat.

There is more to a boat than how fast it goes, which is a satistic OB's and IOs own.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. bone the outer limit engine were replaced and the added hp most likely led to one off the sterndrives going bad. anyways mercury has come a long way with stern drives one of the better points over outboards it seems like honda holds up well on there big outboards we rarely get one off there lower units blowing up.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

At 60 MPH, you just will not have a chance at avoiding something floating just under the water. I will take my 24 to 25 knot cruise on the 31. At least I have a chance of avoinding floating objects.

Samething with the guys that run offshore at night at 40 MPH. Just crazy, they have a death wish. A frined of mine just chewed up his prop on Saturday cutting Barnegat Bay at 5 in the morning. Never saw what he his. But wiped out all blades on one of the props. Think about that offshore but only just not the props getting hit.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony,

Its a risk. When did I say I wanted 60 mph? By that math, every speed boat on the water should be on the bottom. Forgive my devils advocate approach, but I have hit submerged objects at 22 knots in broad daylight. Speed had nothing to do with it. That's why I ended up doing my strut backing plates over. And I hit something years ago when running the Whaler my family has that was below the water. It happens...

Hell, running at night is a tough idea period at any speed. Pot warp, sticks, logs, some high flyers, idiots without running lights in small boats, dinghy's, floating refrigerators, I've seen it all offshore in broad daylight. It wouldn't matter a whit if it were dark. You would not see it at any speed.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug there is also something else that has bother me lately . that is the lack of room on the dashboard on the bridge . i have two large screens displays as you know one is dedicated bottom machine the other is gps with radar overlay i am somewhat nervous driving at night when a ocean kayak appears as a pinhead size dot on the screen it could be a tree or log whatever . my fear is not picking up that dot because i am concern on were i am going around the inlets as well as coastal offshore areas. speed is out of the question . brewster has the ultimate with the raymarine flur system ,very costly and no were to put it . i feel running into a have sunken log or floating refrigerator is just about unavoidable . i have taken those big cc to the canyon in the dark to get maximum advantage off early sunup trolling and found no avantage in a boat capable of 50+ mph in the dark or fog.still better off in a downeasterner.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

Very good points. After taking a look that you'd need an E or G series. The problem isn't that you need more space on the dash, you just need the newer screens and the very expensive camera.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, you have the E-120, right?

Yup, tough call. As I have told you, part of the project plan if I embarked on it would be to improve the layout of the bridge. A FLIR is a pre-requisite. IF you do a lot of running at night, you gotta have it.

Dug
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

A boat like the Luhrs will run great with outboards in calm water. The problems come when it gets rough and you have to push that much mass up the back of a steep wave. The outboards simply don't have enough prop surface and they tend to slip, badly in some cases. It's bad enough with some inboard props, which almost always have considerably larger diameters.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have two raymarine 120 but one is dedicated sonar and the other is gps with radar overlay . i drive a 45' cabo that has 3 furumo nav-net 12" screens this is ideal lay out now you have dedicated radar in center, sonar on right and gps with weather over lay on port side, without clogging up the screen .a floating tree is still a dot but you looking at a 12" black screen with a yellow dot on the same course your heading. you have time to change course weather it is a real hazzard or not.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug it should be pointed out with raymarine if you divide the gps screen to half radar and half gps i found i could not possibly catch a little yellow dot on my course by purchasing a smart heading sensor you could now sync. the boat movement with gps and radar on the whole screen further more you use the boat offset feature at 2/3 and you have a real good idea of what is in your path but most important for me is the radar targets on now pink on a white or pale yellow gps screen. the nav-net and raymarine digital have vivid red targets on a white background this is a great help when you you just glance at the screen . the 510 bertram is totally useless with a 6' open array furumo and a green dot on black screen . a green dot on a crt screen is hard to pick up unless the screen is right in your face.i am talking about a kyack not a 30' boat in front of you. peter i find the g displays of no advantage what so ever when you have two or more displays . touch screen are cool on your i-phone with a hundred apps. but you don`t do this while driving a boat on the high seas once you set a course the soft keys are easy enough.i also have triple touch screens on the big cc but if you set up the data bar correctly you have all the information you need and leave weather on gps any warnings will come across the screen anyway.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob please explain why you need a 12" screen dedicate to sonar when running. Assuming your not close to your destination looking for temp breaks, bait or fish?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter sometimes for no logical reasoning there is blue fin tuna in the middle of nowhere. on the way to the barcardi last year there was a pod -----no structure, green water, no visual bait balls and there they were (thank you mother nature saved us 12 miles of driving) inshore for fluke,bass, on and around the fire island reef you find yourself stopping in the middle of nowhere like last friday. 50 boats bunch together just west of reef and we were by ourselves in 102' of water southwest of reef with 12 huge fluke feeding on squid. just because the full screen was on bottom auto zoom with fishfinder beep alerting myself.the same occurs over wrecks for togs,sea bass and off kismet for porgy when i take children out fishing and the little one`s become impatient so i have find fish as soon as possible.even the kismet area wrecks are a large area so i weave back and forth until i am on something. most often i stop before my destination because fishfinder put me on to something . i should mention the fishfinder is connected to a raymarine DSM unit. on auto zoom over structure i have a good idea whats down there.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Walter K wrote:And after spending all that money, what do you have in 10 years?
Hopefully alot of good memories...
captbone

Post by captbone »

sim wrote: Hopefully alot of good memories...
Exactly. Every time I sit back and think about my boat, I dont think about the money, I think about all the great times she has given me. Outboard motors increase the fun. :-D
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

hey dug ,when i was younger we used to drive to montauk at three am just to get the opportunity to get offshore and a chance to get the big ones.After a few trips like the one you described and crawling up the dock with only bile on my face and head spinning ,i promised myself never again and when the weather wasnt right(after 3 years of staying away) when i got to the point (montauk)i went to the beach and had lunch at the bar.I have had the greatest days offshore with tuna blasting and a great white circling the boat and the worst .Im sure after the pucking hangover subsides you may reconsider regardless of boat.We ran Greenport to Kismet on fireisland last week about 160 miles round trip a 1/2 ft sea on the way and ssw at 8 mph following sea all the home and while i couldnt pick the weather i just got lucky and that bertram 31 was a dream .happy boating tom
Dug

Post by Dug »

I agree with Sim. I just happen to have picked a boat with a good resale value as one I have loved. But that was not the reason I bought her. I bought her because I thought she was a great boat. A boat is NOT AN INVESTMENT FROM A FINANCIAL PERSPECTIVE in most cases. It is a labor of love, and the investment rewards are in emotions, memories, relationships, and time well spent. That is my perspective anyway...

Tom, we have to pick the weather regardless. This past weekend was a great weekend on the boat. One of those I realize that I really do still love her. but that being said, what I don't know is the future. I have a great day boat, and a good fishing boat. For the northeast canyons anyway. The last couple of trips on my boat have just plain beaten the crap out of me, the boat and the crew. In current condition, it is not right to take her out there unless the weather is pretty damned good. That was what was predicted. Oh well...

You are right Tom, some of it may have been due to the fact that I had just returned from a hell trip, but I am still sorely tempted to consider a big cc. I just saw a smokin' Venture 34 out on Block on sunday, and man, what a boat. So much room!!!

Everything in life is a compromise however.. Everything.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Women are without compromise, Dug!
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

you only live once as far a i can tell . the guy i bought my bertram from had 11 boats,big jupiter cc among them,downeaster etc etc etc,id say if the right opportunity come along ,jump in both feet,we,ll still send the time and dates of the next bertram fest.With me id probally need a 100 footer to stop getting sick and enjoying the canyons.good hunting .t
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks Tom.

As one of the three guys who started this whole rendezvous concept here on the board, and the only one who has never missed a NE one, I have to keep showing up!!!! And it will probably be on my Bertram, despite all the talk right now...

:)

Dug
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug,

My same buddy that gets sick on his 23 regulator found himself leaning over the side of a 60' richie Howell. Another buddy who used to puke over the side of my 22 Robalo barfed over the side of a 62' buddy Davis. Sea sickness sucks and size doesn't matter much. Thankfully it's rare for me.

Unless you do the boat over like Bob H or Bob L. You've gonna have crap coming loose. If you take it that far you'll be in big bucks so considering a new boat that better suits you isn't a bad idea.

My best bad weather canyon trip was on a 31 JC and if canyon trips were my main game I'd be looking for a down east style boat, I've never fished a 42 Duffy but I hear it's heaven. That being said there is nothing like the 360 fishability of a center console or getting to the canyon in 90 minutes on a nice calm day.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sea sickness isn't really the issue for me. It was an isolated incident, (i think...) and the first time I have been sick on my boat. Not a reason to sell!

Peter, you are spot on when you say "Unless you do the boat over like Bob H or Bob L. You've gonna have crap coming loose. If you take it that far you'll be in big bucks so considering a new boat that better suits you isn't a bad idea." and that is what is driving this. I think that the boat needs some attention, and while it is far from beyond what others here have done and done well, ask them about the time it took or the $$$$ spent.

And I been really surprised at the ride quality for many of the newer boats I have been on during the past couple of years. Hell, the 27' Grady I was tooling around on last month in NC was a great ride for its size.

We shall see what the future holds. Reality is that I hope the storm is kind and doesn't make the decision for me!