Pink stains on white vinyl

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gert van Leest

Pink stains on white vinyl

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi guys,

does somebody has the answer how to get these off ??

the cushions are new and the pink stains start occuring this summer.

I only used mild soap for cleaning before they appeard....after that ....everything i could lay my hands on ..the cushions look like new but the stains are still there.
who has the sollution ??

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

It happens to some non marine vinyl. Seems to be a reaction with the backing and moisture.

If it is a true marine product the check if there ware any markings on the back side. Sometimes a fabricator would use a pen or other insturment to mark the lines and spacing prior to cutting, this would often times bleed through and appear pink on the face side.

The last thing that causes this is dyed material that haven't been washed, anything from jap feathers to a new pair of shorts or a towel. It may go away if it is a surface stain however it is based from the backing it will only get worse.

Sorry for your luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I would try a dilusion of bleach in an area where the result may not show. Clean white rag dip in and gently work the area. If it starts to work you can use more bleach and less water. Again in anarea where the result will not be noticed in case it affects the color.

Other than that I must agree with JP. Likely not suited for marine application or an upholsterers marker bleeding through.

All the best,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If it's on Vinyl, expose it to a lot of direct sunlight. Be careful of putting plastic packaging and plastic bags with colored printing on them o to the vinyl. Damned stuff stains!
neil

Post by neil »

our helm char got stained this week from a new orange tee shirt that hadnt been washed yet,if that is the case it will go away in time
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Gert whatever you use to try and remove the stains make sure and keep it away from the cushion's threaded stitching !

Assuming of course you've not managed to engineer stitchless cushions on that beautiful B31 of yours!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert

If it is on the surface, you could also use a Mr. Clean magic eraser if you can get them over by you. Just rub easy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Gert,
The stains might have come from someone with sun tan lotion( some tanning creams and sun block have a dye that you can't see until it gets on a white vinyl cushions) or a non color fast fabric someone was wearing while it was wet.
Try some soft scrub with bleach and a stiff brush, if that doesn't work try a paste of Spic & Span, this also works for cleaning sun bleached teak, a stiff brush, fresh water rinse and the teak is like new.
Last resort is Acetone on a white Terry cloth towel or white tee shirt, but keep the Acetone away from the stitching and remove the foam inside the cushion before using Acetone.

Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I punished my daughter and blamed her friends for staining my bolsters. They like to use that as an example of how I'm not always right.

F em , rotten kids.

I was told that the pink is a type of mold and it comes from the inside of non marine vinyl. I couldn't get the stains out but it never really got worse than the initial manifestation . I reupholstered the bolsters eventually but if it were my cushions I would have dealt with the pink by covering them with some form of fabric.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gert,

There was a run of white vinyl that was substantial where it was a fault in the product and it resulted in pink staining. Not much will get it out. Acne medication was one solution that actually has worked for people I know (believe it or not), as well as Tilex.

Take a look at this.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... vinyl.html

I spoke with a guy who owns an everglades in my harbor who has had to replace all his cushions...

Dug
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Dug wrote:Acne medication was one solution that actually has worked for people
Now how in the world did someone figure that out......wonder how much alcohol was involved in that research??? LOL....thats funny

Kinda like someone told me to wash your hair with beer.....makes it very soft.....did not really work out that way for me.....

hb
hb
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Thanks all of you for the tips and tricks.... chlorine didn't help ... like some of you said it appears to be on the backside of the fabric..

I will try the acne threatment tonic ......all the hope I have left...!!

the good part is it is only my seat cushion , and I think that washing it to much did it...

The best part of a day boating , Everybody off ....sun is going down ,lite music on ,a cold beer and a smoke and wash your princes from top to bottom and after that sit a the dock ,with another cold heineken admeiring her beauty .
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Gert,
Not to muddy the waters further but I had a problem when glueing vinyl to a substrate. Apparently the glue vehicle in the spray can did the job on me. Pink stain.
Screw it. I have bigger fish to fry.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gert, Ive been told to try orange glo hand cleaner, bit of pumice in the cleaner to scrub the stain and lanolin to soften the leather just like human skin. Works to keep all your coaming pads and cushions soft and adds some protection. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Marlin

Pink

Post by Marlin »

I had this pink thing happen numerous times when I was a boat dealer, mold on the inside, no amount of outside scrubbing or chemicals will fix it, open up the upholstered cushion , dry it , use ammonia and it will go away till the next time moisture gets in the threads, poor quality vinyl, no mold resistant chemistry incorporated in the polymer
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Perhaps a bit extreme, Gert, but I had an accumulation of dirt and stains on the cockpit cushions for my Hunter 27 (yeah, I'm a clothset blow-boater but I'll bet I can read a down wind drift better tnam most!) I finally had to use a white vinyl overspray.
It is like a vinyl paint in a rattle can. Make sure that the surface is thoroughly clean...after all you have done so far, that is a given...and spray like you were spray-canning furniture. Let dry very well and start using.
Worked so well that I used it on the cushions from the Todd helm chair on the B31 bridge. Vast improvement.
The manufacturer is SEMCO as I recall. You probably have a closer alternative for colored vinyl spray coatings.
Maybe this will help.
Jerry, Triton II
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Some times after trying a few cleaners and if it all doesn't come out I put it in the sun for a few days if possible. Its amazing what the sun will do in a day or two and still easier on it then some cleaners.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page