Finally a clean bottom..!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Finally a clean bottom..!!!

Post by tunawish »

Got a chance to use the new lift for talking the boat off trailer..
1 person 15 min.. nice and safe..safer than the old method anyway..

The clean section at the port bow is what I started doing with a sander on Sat before Fathers Day.. On Sunday my wife and kids present was to have the balance done professionally....Best present I ever got...

[url]Image
After blasting
After 1 hour final sanding
[url]Image
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

She sure is PURTY PAWW......

That's a really thoughtful family you have there.....

hb
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

looks good
but just think ..now you cant use the excuse of doing that horible nasty job of sanding the bottom to get out of stuff
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tunawish,
Now that the bottom is done, there is no excuse to get it in the water and catch some fish. That oil truck is in a convient location too bad your boat is gas. Did you get that Bahia Mar from a local guy or did it come from out of state?. I knew a guy that had one, he had a computer business in Shetland Park in Salem his name was Peter, can't remember his last name, he had it for a few years this was back in the mid 80's.
Your boat looks good and brings back memories, I had an open 20' Bert for about 8 years, 83 to 91 when I lived in Salem, great little boat. I used to comute to Marblehead by boat from May 15 to Oct 15, it took 15 minutes to go to State Street landing, the drive from the Willows used to take 45 minutes. I am trying to get up there for a couple of months, just had my 15th knee operation last Thursday, it's been in the low 90's everyday since May 15th. Can't climb a ladder to work on my boat and can't play golf for atleast a month.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

Looks great!!!! Barrier coat and bottom paint and you are ready to rock!

Hey, are you coming down to Greenport? On another note, I had a couple windows removed... at the house.

Hope you are well!

Dug
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Pete .. I bought her in Maine in 2007 .. I actually spoke to a guy I think your talking about (peter??) he lives in Marblehead and keeps the boat on Nantucket during the summer.. Hope you have a fast recovery..so your staying in FLA for this season..??

Hey Dug, Greenport doesn't look good but not 100% dead at this point...Which windows did you have removed??

Ray
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Oh the horror,,,,, the horror...

If I never look at another sanded bottom again in my life it will be to soon.

Now you can find every patch in her.

Looks great 4 coats of barrier and 3 of bottom and your ready to go. I've heard you can spray the interprotect.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Ray,
That's the guy. Don't look good for me getting up there for August & Sept, the place I was going to rent for 3 months, got rented long term to a couple of students going to Salem State. I hope they got a hefty security deposit.
I might fly up for the Greenport get together, if the doctor lets me fly. They wouldn't let me fly for 6 weeks after the last operation, they were afraid of blood clots. The stitches come out on the 22nd and 4 weeks of PT after that.
Looks like I'm stuck down here, might be a blessing in disguise, maybe I can finish working on my boat. I just built a new FRP/foam cored battery box for the boat, I got the engine boxes almost completely finished, 3 more sea cocks, one for head raw water intake, one overboard discharge and one for livewell intake to change out. I've got to relocate my 120 volt intake wiring to the Port engine box wing and a couple of other small jobs, then I'm almost done. Got to get 3 new batteries and redo the battery cable ends.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ray,

The one next to the book shelves, and the one in the laundry room.

:)

Dug
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Dug wrote:Ray,

The one next to the book shelves, and the one in the laundry room.

:)

Dug
Oh good...So your getting ready to do something when you make your next million.... which is when, next month....??? :)

J.P.
I agree, this is the last time.... but those 3 big patches you see, are my repairs from taking out the thru-hulls...The only other I found was a small 2" patch right at the center-line..... Which was very surprising as it spent it's whole life at a Boys camp off the coast of Maine.... I expected swiss cheese under all that paint...

Ray
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ray,

Yup. Though don't hold your breath on those millions. Might be a while... ;)

Dug
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Ray - was that the B20 Bahia with the Merc 3.0?

If so how does she run?

Mine is on back burner until I repatriate from Indonesia.

I remember that look:

Now she's just waiting for paint...

It's going to be a long few years...

Ian.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Hey Ian, I've been watching your Bahia Mar re-do.. It'll be quite a while before mine gets to the stage yours is at...someday maybe..

She tops out at 32mph with 2 pob.. sits a little light in the water (2" above chine).. don't know fuel burn but it's low..given the waters here are usually a 2 foot chop, it's plenty fast for 80% of the days...
Good luck in your new location...

Ray
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tunawish- you get 32 mph out of a 3.0 in a 20 Bahia Mar?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Walter,

Yes .. that was with a bottom looking like the top pic. Why what are you getting with your new setup.? You put the 3.0 in also right??

Ray