Road trip in one piece?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt Rex
Location: Vessel: Stock Island, Fl; Me: Malibu, CA when not on board

Road trip in one piece?

Post by Capt Rex »

Thank you Mikey, Tony, Harry and Bob!

A little background on me- I'm from California but have new real estate business in Pensacola that will be bringing me into town... can't not have a boat in this area! My other hat is I am a licensed 100 ton master, ran party boats/yachts for Hornblower Cruises and Events (better known on Eastern seaboard area as Hornblower Marine Services) for 15 years and I teach nautical science for USC part time. I also work at Pepperdine University part time.

The in the water survey came out great- I will be in Tampa to she her for the first time. Will sea trial her Thursday as well as the out of the water portion of survey will be completed... hopefully I won't be leaving with just a trailer (which is being built as I write this) in which case I will be looking for another B 28!

Major learning curve... and a couple issues I would love some input on:

Re: the trailer, I'm hoping she will ramp load without taking out the rudders or something. I read somewhere to do it on high tide but other than that, if anyone has had any experience trailering these, I would love to hear...

The plan is to trailer her to Bahia Mar Marina in
Pensacola (will be there for the weekend before the 4th of July if anyone is in the area). Big concern is her height she ends up sitting at on the trailer. I am trying to research if and how many low overpassess/bridges I might run across getting her to Bahia Mar Marina.
Does any one know of a resource/book for bridge/overpass heights in Fl? Also Al and Ms as I plan to move her around to explore? I understand I am suppose to get oversize permits for each state as well... any feedback on this... wonder if I can get them on line or do I have to go int DMV in each state?

I know off the bat there is some electrical I want to do on her- unless an emergency, not big on doing electrical myself- any referals for the Pensacola area?

Thanks again all... looking forward to this adventure! Rex
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I had mine trailered once. Floated it right on with no problems. Shafts are 4 feet on center so figure about 5 to 5 1/2 feet spread for the bunks. Get it wide enough so the bunks are on the hull and not the lifting strake. The lifting strake terminates too far forward and will it will create a bulge in the hull from the weight of the boat where the strake ends if it is on the bunk. If you want exact measurements I can get them for you since my boat is on an elevator lift with bunks. The wider the bunks the lower the boat will be on the trailer for bridges. Limiting factor will be bottoming out the forward portion of the deep V hull on the trailer structure itself. Technically you do need a wide load permit. Props and rudders stayed on but that will depend on the trailer you are using. The one I used was a typical triple axle that you would see a 30-35 center console sitting on. Just let me know if you want the exact measurements. It may save you some time loading/unloading to adjust bunks.
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Much appreciated, will pass info on to trailer contractor and if he wants the measurments, I'll get back to you. Invaluable knowledge- thanks again, Rex
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Hauled new cars on open car hauling trucks into P'cola and the biggest issue I recall is the scrub oaks hanging over the roads in many areas. If you can get the height around 13'6" then you'll probably be ok. Most regular semis are about that high so they'll cut the limbs back for you if you stay on 4 lane roads as much a possible. Many car haulers run around Florida up to 14' high.
FL DOT can get on the warpath every now and then so the whole permit thing is at your discretion. They need $ these days.
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Thanks Kurt... yep, remember to stay on the big streets when off the freeways
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Capt Rex....

I am not really 100% sure, but I think you can go to any major truckstop and buy a book that truck drivers use that tells you bridge clearances and such stuff. Maybe one of the other guys here can confirm this.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
micky

Post by micky »

for the rewiring contact this guy, his name is Bob

seabob4@tampabay.rr.com
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Mickey, thanks for the referal.

Learned about the book yesterday... ordered it on ebay (note it pays to shop; this book was selling for $60 elsewhere...):

Rand Mcnally 2011 Motor Carriers Road Atlas Paperback (330568195305)

Paid on Jun-18-11
Price: $19.90, Qty: 1 $19.90
Estimated delivery: Varies*
You can contact the seller for more information. USPS Media Mail FREE
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

You shouldn't have any problem with overhanging trees or cables between Interstate 10 and Bahia Mar Marina. Just go south on Hwy 29, and veer right onto Pace Blvd and it'll take you straight to it. I used to keep my B25 there until Hurricane Ivan in 2004. The dry storage building collapsed, and then the dickheads who own the facility charged us all $1,800 each for them to pull our boats out of THEIR rubble. Can't say anything good about the marina or its owners, but the Flat Island Marine maintenance group (who is resident at the marina) is pretty good. Good luck with the move.

-Kel
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Unbelievable... thanks for the heads-ups and tips!
Capt. Mac Creech

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Kelly, Where you staying now? We need to get together.
Mac
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Mac,
I've been at Day Break Marina since the storm. They keep me under the lean-to on the outside of the dry storage building. Never had any problems there. Good folks there. I'll give you a call soon and maybe we can all get together with Harry and Doug for another trip to Cobalt in Orange Beach.

-Kel
Capt Rex

Great Little Bertram!

Post by Capt Rex »

Thank you all and former postings for the help and information. Now a 28 owner, splashed in Pensacola and plan to run up to Alabama and possibly to Missippi end of the week and into the 4th weekend. Would be nice to see some other 28's- anyone want to rendezvous? Best, Rex (not sure how to load a pic) [/list]
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

not sure how to load a pic
How To Post Images and Links
Capt Rex

Re: Road trip in one piece?

Post by Capt Rex »

Thought I'd follow up with a few things I've learned for any first timers or any considering trailering...

-Believe it or not, I don't use tie down straps other than the heavy duty reel-in bow strap- twin diesel B 28 is sooo heavy that any movement on the trailer would equate to big problems... sits like the Rock of Gibraltar.

-Even if trailer is well ballanced- serious weight in back end of trailer. Make sure trailer has runners that go all the back aft of the transom (unfortunately I'm a ball hitch rather than 5th wheel style but still well balanced front to back even though rig is so back heavy). I set the rear tires 10 lbs higher than the fronts with the middles 5 lbs below the rears on my triple axel. Make sure your rears are in good shape- they are taking the brunt.

-I have successfully avoided ramp launching and never will if I have a say; if you must, avoid any ramp with a pitch/slope of note... could easily see a traction problem even with a dually. Fork lifting on and off the trailer is the way to go and keeps water off your rig.

-Increadably solid ride- huge big rigs have blown by me on the Interstate and due to her weight, don't get pushed around in the lane. -

-Not fun on small streets/intersections and neighborhoods- my rig is @ 60' long and roughly 13' high. inevidably end up with leaves, twigs and branches in the cockpit. Don't forget to lower fiber glass radio antenna if you have one (of couse I did on one of my trips and replaced it with a shorter metal commerical sytle antenna which sits tops out on the side of the bridge just about even with the height of the wideshield- my highest point. No more having to lower the antenna each time :-)

-Unless they collapse, best I figure, towers don't work towing... needless to say, my B doesn't have one.