UV and Andre, how about the flooding?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

UV and Andre, how about the flooding?

Post by Tom »

Uncle Vic and Andre, the national media sucks. What's the real story with the flooding from say Vidalia on down? Morganza locks? doomsday for those on Highway 1 south of I-10? what about Venice/Port Eads?

Or just gonna lose a few democrat houses built where they shouldn't be built? Sounds like the makings for a hell of a June rip off South Pass if the loop stays north like it is.

Tom
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Flood stage here in BR is 35 feet, the levees protect downtown and the LSU area up to about 46 feet in a few spots, higher in most. The crest is projected at 47.5 feet on May 22d. hmmmmm....so they gonna open the Morganza floodway this weekend - about half of the bays I hear - and that is supposed to keep the crest here at or below 46 feet. The Bonnet Carre spillway north of New Orleans is about a third open - it takes river water 6 miles into Lake Ponchartrain - and they are trying to keep the river at or below 17 feet in New Orleans....their levees are 20 feet.

There are no natural outlets on the river until you get to Venice, other than a few fresh water diversions, so the danger is overtopping of levees and a resultant breach, and flooding from them opening the Morganza floodway - which runs down the west side of the river from about the La./Miss state line to Morgan City on the gulf. Its that long bridge you cross between Lafayette and BR, some 24 miles wide there, and wider downstream...everything in that floodway is gonna get huge water in and on it for a month or so.

No problem at Venice or Port Eads, it all spreads out when it gets there and the levels will probably go over the rock walls along the lower river, but that's pretty normal.

So a long answer, but the good news is all our stuff will be okay, no worries at the camp since I'm way above the Bonnet Carre. But on the west side of the river, somebody gonna lose a trailer.

As for the fishing, it seems ole UV and his rich & famous son may be fishing the week after Father's Day on a certain 122 foot sprotsfisherman.....my promise of bringing a big batch of my crawfish bisque sealed that deal. Marlin, tuna, wahoo, and swordfish to complete ole UV's lifetime slam.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Would that be your friend that I met at the Tropic Star? I hate to say that I cannot remember his name other than that I think it started with a "P". Hell f a nice guy. I believe he was building that boat while we were down there. Did he put the davit on to haul AJ on the foredeck?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

She's got quite the bar I'm sure, but can the Mary P catch fish like AJ?

Got friends in Donaldsonville and White Castle, hope they stay dry.
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory of Vicroy

Yeah, that's the one, Daryl P. If you do a google on "mary P yacht" you will find all kinds of pix, etc. She's the one I had the contest to guess the length of the outriggers.....Hi Pockets posted a pix here he and Dr. Matt took of her anchored up in South Pass across from the Port Eads lighthouse. When he was at TSL with us we were helping him design the fly bridge head that Mary was demanding so it would fold up and not block the view of the fishing. I see on the Trinity plans that there is sho' nuff a head on the bridge....time, patience, and........

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it, and as many of you guys know, about the finest people around.

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Could be bad, will be for some. Down Morgan City way there will be alot of water.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well vic have a great day fishing ,wow a grand slam that sounds great.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks Bob, we are planning for the whole week. I think I've caught every kind of billfish now except a sword legit...years ago we caught a couple off the mouth of the Miss. river but on hand lines.

My son has fished on the big 'un a few times and says it handles amazingly well, and raises the woo woo outta fish. Twin 2540 hp Cats and a 120 hp bow thruster, and a lotta a/c.

Yeah Andre, the backwater flooding around Morgan City - like where you used to live in Stephensville - is gonna be bad....saw on tv how some coonasses were coping....visqueen taped to the side of a brick house with duct tape and a few sandbags piled on the plastic. Might wanna go to Mass a dozen times a day with that rig...

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
Sounds like the same hurricane prep I see down here by running masking tape in an X pattern across the window glass.

Then stand at the window watching the stuff blow by.

Bad deal all the way around.