Boat is in!! (and a potentially dumb question)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Wingnut

Boat is in!! (and a potentially dumb question)

Post by Wingnut »

With fishing season just a few weeks away my B28 went in on Monday! (Chesapeake) See ya winter.....

Now for the dumb question....

I'd like to add a small- fully automatic bilge pump near my existing front pump but I want to mount it as low in the bilge as possible to help keep the boat a bit drier. Can I mount it directly to the hull with small stainless screws or am I asking for some sort of headache if I go that way?

Thanks all!

JD
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Use a wood wedge to level the pump in the bilge and glass it to the hull. Screw the pump to the wood not the hull.
Harry
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Usually those fully automatic ones have a detachable plastic base that allows you to remove the pump for cleaning or repair. If you have a dry spot you can probably 5100 it to the hull. Don't use 5200 or you'll have to chisel it off when you want (if ever) to remove it.
randall

Post by randall »

or....you can get a little plastic mesh cage and glue that to the hull . no top necessary. keeps debris away from the pump, holds it in one place and makes it very easy to service and clean.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Lots of pumps. You never know when you will need them. Ask me how I know. I have 5 pumps plus two chash pumps. 32,000. gals an hour with everything pumping.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... c8ccc51545

Check out this link. It will take you to an earlier discussion on this.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Thanks all, great ideas.

Now that the area of interest is WET any suggestions? (still kicking my self for not getting it done over the winter! )

I'm thinking a small piece of wood with some epoxy as a temporary for the season and then follow up with something like Tony / Cap Pat's suggestions in the link. Would the epoxy, PC7 or the like, harden under water?

JD
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

5200 will harden under water, I believe.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

um......dry it? shop vac works well for this.

like brewster i am a big believer in pumps...4 (2, 2500 GPH) and very easy to to operate crash valves. trust me , that one time you open the hatch and see a rising foot of water in the bilge you will be glad you have them.

the theme for this month.............."dont ask me how i know!"
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Randall,

Loud and clear! I'm going to use a manual pump to dry it as best I can and put in a temporary until I pull the boat next winter.

Now, let me tell you about my new freshwater system install yesterday! There places on that boat I never knew existed....

All I can say is after running the new lines I hurt in all sorts of strange places!

Thanks all for the input!

JD
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

To get that last little bit of water out of the bilge.. put a Tee on the intake of the wash down line w/ a ballvalve.. .. make sure u have a screen inline near the pump./. your almost dry..
Wayne
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

The forward bilge is dry when you are up on plane. Prefab the block and next time you have a run of an hour or so, while on plane, wipe the area dry, clean with acetone and epoxy the block in place. You should be good to go by the time you get back to the dock.
Harry